Forums

Reeling in the win:The Fishing Pole Trap

Sort:
kodeeak

The fishing pole trap is a great trap for black when facing the Ruy Lopez that sacrifices the knight in order to checkmate your opponent and even if the trap fails to trick your opponent you should be in a pretty good position. The fishing pole trap goes like this 1)e4 e5 2)Nf3 Nc6 3)Bb5 Nf6 4)O-O Ng4 5)h3 h5 6)hxg4 hxg4 7)Ne1 Qh4 8)... Qh1#. So how do like this trap, how would you counter, what are other main lines you've encountered with this trap.

Here_Is_Plenty

I just wonder how the chessplaying flounder debated on another thread would deal with the fishing pole trap...

CaptJackAubrey

Not that I am a particularly good player but, I am bot sure I would have castled on the third move (normally within the first 10-12 for sure). But, if I did I might try 5. g3 to prevent the queen going to h4, maybe slide the bishop back to e2 to attack the menacing knight. I have run into this line before, similar if not exact. It is a tough defend.

CaptJackAubrey
I don't know if this would end up working out but this is what I would try.
CaptJackAubrey
ChristianSoldier007 wrote:

Nf6 usually leads to the berlin, and 0-0 is the accepted move. Ng4 goes off lines

You have me on that one, brother. What is the 'Berlin'?

kodeeak

CaptJackAubrey wrote:

Nf6 usually leads to the berlin, and 0-0 is the accepted move. Ng4 goes off lines

You have me on that one, brother. What is the 'Berlin'?

It's a chess opening

ChessSponge

What about 7. Bxc6  ? If black captures the knight with the pawn simply Qxf3. If black then play Qh4, reply with Qh3. If black takes the queen then you take back with pawn he takes with rook and now you can move your bishop and are up in material as compensation for the lack of king side structure.

If black takes the bishop then take the queen.

JamesColeman

The knight on g4 isnt actually doing anything so Be2 or g3 would be a complete overreaction. After 5.h3 h5 any sensible move gives White a clear advantage, either 6.d3 or 6.c3 intending d4. Sonner or later White will be threatening to take the knight for real and it will be just lost time for Black. It's a very poor opening for Black :(

JamesColeman

@chesssponge that loses for white as instead of playing Rxh3 giving you time to retreat your bishop he'd take the bishop immediately and White can resign there

Rick56

I've beaten alot of players when I learned opening traps like this a while back. Still, I don't think I've played against it as white more than twice, if that. I don't remember my responses, but looking at it I think of 6. Nh2, and if there is an exchange, the king is tucked in. Then again, as someone already wrote, I wouldn't castle so early, and look to keep working with the center on the 4th move, namely d6 is my preference..

rtc3

Rybka suggests 6.d3 and just leaving the knight for now, as if black castles he drops the knight, and if he retreats he has lost time. Black basically has nothing productive to do except wait for white to take the knight, so white ignores it, develops and takes over the center.

ChessSponge
JamesColeman wrote:

@chesssponge that loses for white as instead of playing Rxh3 giving you time to retreat your bishop he'd take the bishop immediately and White can resign there

Seems like a hasty call. The material would be even at that point. Yes white's king side pawn structure is not good. with the isolated h pawn that will take pressure from both the rook and light squared bishop. But it seems quick to say just resign.

tigergutt

the berlin wall is commonly known as one of the most drawish openings ever, which is good for black. This Ng4 move doesnt go into the berlin, but i dont think it does too much if white doesnt fall for the trap (and the be2 move is very counter porductive)

the berlin is not a drawish as its reputation:) did you know that aronian use the marshall attack when he he is ok with draw and the berlin if he needs a win? the thing is , in the berlin black can choose to play drawish or very ambitious. many white players seems to be annoyed at the trading of pieces in the berlin but they shouldnt because if all pieces gets traded and the structure doesnt change it should be a forced win for white if i remember right

JamesColeman
ChessSponge wrote:
JamesColeman wrote:

Seems like a hasty call. The material would be even at that point. Yes white's king side pawn structure is not good. with the isolated h pawn that will take pressure from both the rook and light squared bishop. But it seems quick to say just resign.

Well Black's picking up the h-pawn no matter what after ...dxc6 so he's going to be a pawn up in a semi ending with the bishop pair and no compensation for white at all. In the long run that's just losing - in any case, there's no reason to go anywhere near that when there are options that give white a clear plus.

atarw

Couldn't this work in the exchange variation?

Rick56

@DaBigOne : Between the two, I like your variation better. Still, white could ignore it completely, or play 7. d3. The open dark squared bishop is key to stop the fishing pole.

atarw
Rick56 wrote:

@DaBigOne : Between the two, I like your variation better. Still, white could ignore it completely, or play 7. d3. The open dark squared bishop is key to stop the fishing pole.

Yeah, I think d3 is a critical line of the variation. But as I said before, this is all theory, so u can look it up. I'd tell u, but I don't know any of this theory, I played Berlin, and now I switched to Dragon Sicilian

kodeeak

It's called the fishing pole because Bobby Fischer was the one that created the trap.