Forums

Stuff Non-Chess Players Say

Sort:
dragonair234
staggerlee wrote:

"What is en passant? You're making that up, cheater."

Whenever I play a relatively new chess player, I don't use en passant, unless it would be really essential in my game. If they really want to learn how to play chess then of course I'm more than happy to teach them. But I weigh the benefit of teaching them en passant mid-game. Let's be real... you can't go over all the rules of chess for every new chess player you play! 

staggerlee
dragonair234 wrote:
staggerlee wrote:

Whenever I play a relatively new chess player, I don't use en passant, unless it would be really essential in my game. If they really want to learn how to play chess then of course I'm more than happy to teach them. But I weigh the benefit of teaching them en passant mid-game. Let's be real... you can't go over all the rules of chess for every new chess player you play! 

Yeah, I've done that too. THought to myself, "Well shoot, if I take his pawn en passant, then we'll have to get into a big explanation and he may or not be suspicious, could be a hassle, ah heck I'll just do a different move."

Pulpofeira
dragonair234 escribió:
staggerlee wrote:

That's why I try to play only club players, unless I have enough familiarity with the other person to ask him/her if really knows all the rules.

yedddy

if someone doesn't know all the rules then that makes them a moron and should take all opportunity to crush them.

Pulpofeira
yedddy escribió:

if someone doesn't know all the rules then that makes them a moron and should take all opportunity to crush them.

But that won't happen. You simply will fall into endless discussions.

staggerlee
yedddy wrote:

Doesn't make them an idiot, everybody has to learn at some point.

yedddy
Pulpofeira wrote:
yedddy escribió:

But that won't happen. You simply will fall into endless discussions.

at which point you ignore and walk away... you are not obligated to discuss rules with morons.. this isn't nam.

yedddy
staggerlee wrote:
yedddy wrote:

Doesn't make them an idiot, everybody has to learn at some point.

i said moron, not idiot. don't mis-quote me.

Pulpofeira

I'm with you, Staggerlee. But in my experience, the less they know about the game, the more they argue and try to teach you.

camberfoil

I was faced with a situation in which I had to try to explain "on crossant" to a noob. He then asked if he could do a double-jump.

dragonair234

I was playing with someone and it seemed like they knew the basic rules of chess. Everything was going smoothly. And then they tried to castle their queen, and I said you can't do that, and they said "Oh. Which one's the king?" 

Surprised

dragonair234
Pulpofeira wrote:

That's why I try to play only club players, unless I have enough familiarity with the other person to ask him/her if really knows all the rules.

In my situation, I'm one of the ones who helps organize the chess club. So I'm somewhat obliged to play everyone, whether they're ten times better than me or just the opposite. I don't mind it. I was playing someone the other day and I was in a great winning position. I messed up my moves though and lost in front of all his buddies and a crowd that had formed – on his end. Ha! 

JayBo308

Hate a crowd of kibitzers. Even one.

camberfoil

A_G_A (he posted here a few days ago) and I frequently witness chess games at our school. We keep our analyses of the game to a minimum, but when we play, people always come over, two moves in, and say "Who's winning? Oh, I see check in two moves. You can get him in check! When you getr the person in check you can get the king out, right?" To symbolize how I felt after the patzers left, I purposely hung my queen, rooks, knight, etc.

but

Wow...that's funny. I had a race. Let's just say that I'm kinda tired.

I take every oppurtunity I get to do en passant. (Well, almost every). It's a fun move to play.  I'll play it against non-chessers but I'll explain that rule, and most of the time they know that I'm not going to make up rules so they don't argue.

(Most...don't ask about the others).

winerkleiner
akafett wrote:

@ Winer: I think she played a good game. She may beat me the second round.

You both have simular online ratings so it should be close perhaps!

akafett

@ Winer: It's my first online game. So, it's not that accurate. I think after I play a dozen games or so, the rating will be more accurate.

chessplayer31415926
dragonair234 wrote:
chessplayer31415926 wrote:
but wrote:
awesomechess1729 wrote:
dragonair234 wrote:
awesomechess1729 wrote:
dragonair234 wrote:
but wrote:

I don't know. I don't study openings. I'm about to go make a table of contents for the 4000+posts we have on this forum. So if anyone wants to find anything, it'll be here. That's going to take a while though...

That would be intriguing. Chess.com should give you a trophy for that. 

It would be interesting (but hard) to create a directory for all of the content on all of the forums. Even though there is already a grouping of categories for threads, a more detailed directory would group individual posts as well as individual threads.

That's ummm "but's" job. He already claimed it! xD 

I meant all of the content on the chess.com forums instead of just this thread.

Yes, that'll be a pain to do. I'm going to stick to this thread for now. :P

And it will be confusing for non-chessers wanting to become chessers

This thread is prepared for "them" because we have a chess player here to explain everything – YOU! :D

The revenge of the extra long quote

chessplayer31415926
dragonair234 wrote:
but wrote:
awesomechess1729 wrote:
dragonair234 wrote:
awesomechess1729 wrote:
dragonair234 wrote:
but wrote:

I don't know. I don't study openings. I'm about to go make a table of contents for the 4000+posts we have on this forum. So if anyone wants to find anything, it'll be here. That's going to take a while though...

It would be interesting (but hard) to create a directory for all of the content on all of the forums. Even though there is already a grouping of categories for threads, a more detailed directory would group individual posts as well as individual threads.

This thread is prepared for "them" because we have a chess player here to explain everything – YOU! :D

This quote might even beat the very long quote from before

camberfoil
dragonair234 wrote:
but wrote:
awesomechess1729 wrote:
dragonair234 wrote:
awesomechess1729 wrote:
dragonair234 wrote:
but wrote:

This quote might even beat the very long quote from before

No, I WIN!