Forums

Sort:
Presort

Duffer1965

Perhaps we should have two lists: players who get irrate when someone does not resign and players who don't resign. Then we can decide which group to avoid.

kco

no way I think that is very unsportman thing to do, to name player like that, no way.

ThePadre

nail on the head elcabesa a player can always learn from the player who is winning so comfortably against them and sometimes they have hope so maybe u shouldn't get so arrogant as to assume the game is won everyone can make mistakes in the end game and whats wrong with the satisfaction of check mating your opponent?

Duffer1965

I wish I had a dollar for every advantage I've thrown away by a bungled play. (A euro for each one would be even better!)

Duffer1965

Hitting a nail on the head (top) is so much better than hitting your finger!

Tongue out

TiagoDevesa

Duffer1965 wrote:

Perhaps we should have two lists: players who get irrate when someone does not resign and players who don't resign. Then we can decide which group to avoid.

touche

Hobbitton

Dmytro, you misunderstand completely. Elcabesa said that the player with an advantage could easily make a mistake that could change the tide of the game. He did not say "Oh greater chess player, won't you please grace me with your infinite knowledge and let me continue to lose against you even though I am unworthy."

Seriously, come off it. I agree with him that it makes no sense and is quite immature to hate a player because they do not resign when you would like them to.

SteveM

Resigning can hurt ratings.  And, yes, the player with the advantage can stumble quite badly.

Then there's the timed games on Live Chess where you can hop the King around the board until time runs out!

Let's not forget the possibility of stalemate...

bastiaan

what about a list of list makers

Olimar

Presort wrote:

Box them into a corner and allow them only two squares in which to move and don't put them in mate for as long as possible before putting them in check mate.

make a list of such players and post their names so the rest of us can avoid playing them.

This sounds like the nerds on warcraft who make ban lists of players they don't like...  Let's learn to be friends with everyone instead of tryinig to divide each other :)  Perhaps better people skills will solve such problems (oh wait im on a chess site X_X )

Presort

artfizz

It is seldom straightforward for a third party to deduce - simply from looking a board position - whether it is the 'right' time for one of the players to resign. One has to factor in the relative skill levels of the players, the probability of the outcome, the mood of the game and the players' philosophies/attitudes. To play on when a move or two away from an unstoppable checkmate requires a certain stoicism.

Presort

elroy

As a player improves they learn when to resign. If it irritates you when a player will not resign a lost position just checkmate them as quickly as possible and do not play them again.

JediMaster

I have a great idea.  Let's have a vote chess game.  Those who resign against those who do not resign.  Let's have those who resign be sure and get advantage early on to be in a winning position.  Naturally those who don't resign will not resign.  We will keep this game going on way beyond those who resign limits.  Eventually after the game is over, those who resign can go to anger management classes.

kco

JediMaster wrote:

I have a great idea.  Let's have a vote chess game.  Those who resign against those who do not resign.  Let's have those who resign be sure and get advantage early on to be in a winning position.  Naturally those who don't resign will not resign.  We will keep this game going on way beyond those who resign limits.  Eventually after the game is over, those who resign can go to anger management classes.

and those who go to the anger management classes can join up with cheater_1

Jpatrick

Andrew Soltis says: Don't wait for your opponent to resign, MAKE him resign.  Okay, that's a matter of technique.

I say:  I never won or even drew a game by resigning.

In light of this, I respect my opponent's right to play on as long as he wants. I also reserve the right to give these opponents a lesson or two. My favorite lesson is to take the hopeless position and reduce it to K+B+N vs K and perform that mate.

It's good practice for me, and it's a worthy lesson for the opponent.

bowanza

The only way to teach them is to show them the mate.

Doc_Detroit

Presort wrote:

Box them into a corner and allow them only two squares in which to move and don't put them in mate for as long as possible before putting them in check mate.

make a list of such players and post their names so the rest of us can avoid playing them.

Well, if their position is so "hopeless" it should be quick work for you to checkmate them. So go ahead and checkmate them. "Problem" solved. Next?