Forums

TOUCH-MOVE RULE

Sort:
EnGliSHCheSsPlAy

I know that if I touch a piece I have to move it. I asked to an arbiter and he said to me: "So long as the hand has not left the piece on a new square, the latter can be placed on any accessible square." I transalted it from Italian language. Well, I think it's a rule and we must follow it but other people disasgree with it, saying that chess is a sport and this rule seems to be strict.Plus, I also know that if a player touches one of the opponent's pieces then he or she must capture that piece if it can be captured. If none of the touched pieces can be moved or captured there is no penalty, but the rule still applies to the players own pieces. WHAT DO YU THINK?

sebas4life

I think it's a good rule, otherwise you can play psychological tricks with your opponent.

thegab03

That's the rules as I learned it, espesially in competation, but you may touch the other players piece ( adjust it properly to the center of the square ) but you have to say a certian French word before you do so which I have forgotten! Embarassed

razorblade12

j'adoube is the word you are looking for i think

Shoskavitch

J'adoube is the word. Anyway, that rule is in my OPINION not that I'm God and evrything I say is law(just saying that so as to not start an interforum argument:))

But if you touch a piece you should move it. I remember when I started playing tournament chess, people who were low rated 700-1000 tried to get away with that all the time. But because of Susan Polgar's advice that her father gave her(sit on your hands between moves) I learned to always call them on it.  Unforunately, I have called it and all the arbiter did was to take 5 min off her already 19 min and let her make another move of her choice. It sucks, but it's life.

thegab03

That's it razorblade12,

Thank you!

oldmangeorge

what happens when you touch a piece of yours and it cant be moved? a penalty?if i can touch the other players pieces i m going to lay down his king

thegab03

That's what I was thought as well, sit on you hands for the temtation is to great & risky to move while under pressure!

RetGuvvie98
oldmangeorge wrote:

what happens when you touch a piece of yours and it cant be moved? a penalty?if i can touch the other players pieces i m going to lay down his king

If you distract or annoy your opponent, that would result in a warning from the arbiter, and if you persist, the arbiter or TD can forfeit your game.   Penalties for repeated infractions (failure to follow the rules), can result in your being banished from the tournament, or refused entry in future events.

touching your opponent's king to lay it down would be deemed egregious behavior and could result in forfeiting your game.

as far as touching another players' pieces - no, you aren't allowed to do that either.  You touch your own.  if you are capturing your opponent's piece, then and only then, can you touch it.  If he places it half off a square (touching an adjacent square), you have the right to ask him to place it properly and in the future to place it near the center.   If he fails to do that (place it near the center) your only course of action is to protest to the TD who will observe and warn him if he persists in setting his own pieces so that they touch the square(s) near the square they are intended to be on.

Senior USCF TD.

GrumpyComic

Also make sure that you touch your king first when castling. If you touch your rook your opponent has the right to force you to move your rook instead of castling.

Sit on your hands is good advice.

Slightly different, but similar, I often see players use the opposite hand to hit their clock after they move. This, as far as I am aware, is also against the rules as they should press clock with same hand that moved the piece.

Nit picking, I know, but rules are rules. Tongue out

addisondog

I just learned (can't remember where) something interesting about "j'adoube."  In French it does NOT mean "I'm adjusting [something]."  It's rather archaic--not in most of the online French dictionaries I checked--and means "I dub."  It's what a king says when knighting someone:  "I dub thee Sir Pawn."  The idea (I presume) is that you're just gently touching the piece in a symbolic way, not actually doing anything with it....  If anyone knows more (or differently) about this, I'd be glad to hear it!

magicmaster

Yes the hand that last moved a peice on the board should hit the clock so if I am to capture your Rook with my Queen I cannot move my Queen with one hand and pick up the Rook with the other and hit the clock with the Rook. All captures should be made with the same hand moving the Queen and picking up the Rook in a one handed manuver then the clock with that same hand.

ADK

Here, on chess.com, you can go to your settings and play either way...

ADK

Saxophonesam

Touch-Move, Touch-Take, Touch-Castle... They're all good rules that players should learn to play with. The rule isn't all bad, A player may touch a piece and may result in them trapping it. Good advice is, set up for scholars mate with the queen and have someone walk by the board and knock down your opponents king, they pick it up and you call "Touch-Move" they're forced to move it. It can only go forward, you take king's  pawn... Checkmate

EnGliSHCheSsPlAy

Yeah :) think you're right

erixchess

Some people say "adjusting" instead of j'adoube, it might be easier to pronounce for some.

EnGliSHCheSsPlAy

adjusting..is it english right^?

thegab03

Yep it's English!

registrazione!

TheOldReb
thegab03 wrote:

That's the rules as I learned it, espesially in competation, but you may touch the other players piece ( adjust it properly to the center of the square ) but you have to say a certian French word before you do so which I have forgotten!

Actually, if you want your opponent's pieces adjusted I believe you are supposed to ask him/her to adjust them ? Ofcourse, you can only do this when its your move as well.

EnGliSHCheSsPlAy

lol