Forums

USCF US OPEN INFO?

Sort:
Kingpatzer

Ok, the US Open is going to be in Madison this summer. It's less than 4 months away and I can't find a published official round schedule, early sign up or any official statements beyond the location and general dates. 

Hey, USCF, wake the hell up!! Some OTB players would like to actually plan their summer travel . . .

chessmaster102

just what I was talking about http://www.chess.com/forum/view/general/why-arent-uscf-events-better-advertised

EscherehcsE

USCF = Undeniably Stupid Chess Follies?

NimzoRoy

USCF = United States Chump Federation? There aren't any ads for it in Chess Life? I couldn't find anything by typing United States Open Chess Tournament 2013* in a search engine, or by going to the USCF tnmt listings page (national tnmts) so screw them if they're not going to make it as easy as possible to look it up. Of course that's easy for me to say because I haven't play OTB tnmts since the 80's (1980s not 1880s BTW)

*I didn't have any luck by shortening my search request either

Kingpatzer

Does anyone from the USCF visit these forums? Somehow I doubt it. That would be, I don't know, intelligent and compitent?

EscherehcsE
Kingpatzer wrote:

Does anyone from the USCF visit these forums? Somehow I doubt it. That would be, I don't know, intelligent and compitent?

I'd be surprised if any of the USCF big shots visits the Chess.com forums on a regular basis. But some of those guys practically live on the USCF forums, so I'd say you'd have to post there to have any chance of getting their attention.

From just skimming the Chess Life hardcopy magazine, I saw no information on the U.S. Open except for the previously mentioned location and general dates. And like the other posters, I found no information on the USCF web site. I guess the U.S. Open is still a little beyond the USCF's horizon.

If I were wanting to plan a vacation at the U.S. Open, I'd also be extremely irritated. To be honest though, I've given up any hope of the USCF becoming a responsible organization in my lifetime. While the organization will sometimes show flashes of competence, it's never long before they pull some boneheaded stunt that reminds me things will never really change for the better.

Kingpatzer

Ok, I emailed the USCF this morning. 

Here is their response: 

The U.S. Open information and registration is not up yet and we are
currently working on the 2013 SuperNationals, which is April 5-7, 2013.

All we have up so far is the location where the U.S. Open will be held:

US Open 27 July - 4 August
 Madison Marriott West
 1313 John Q. Hammons Drive
 Madison, WI 53562
Room Reservation via Internet
 $99.00 Single/Double/Triple/Quad

Best Regards,

Ashley Knight

Ashley Knight
National Events Assistant - US Chess Federation

I've never done event planning, so I don't know what is typical and what is not. But I can't imagine that a tournament that is intended to be a national tournament wouldn't even be on their radar with less than 4 months to go until the tournament date. 

I'm glad to hear they're working on the tournament that's only a week away. But honestly, What's the rush? I mean, heck, that's almost 160 horus away . . .

Kingpatzer

Here's my response to their e-mail:

Ashley, 

Thank you for your quick and informative response. 

I must say that I'm honestly continually frustrated and amazed that the USCF does not understand that last minute schedule planning is not something their membership appreciates. 

I do not address this to you personally as I do appreciate you getting back to me; but, in general, it is simply beyond my comprehension how the USCF expects people to plan a trip to national events when they withhold critical information about the event until the last minute. 

At my job I have to schedule training conferences a year in advance. When I was an academic I'd frequently schedule conference travel out 18 months ahead of time. 

I can hardly imagine I'm unique among OTB players in wanting to be able to plan my travel and related expenses. 

Perhaps the USCF might consider that national events should have this sort of information ready to go in a more timely manner in the future?

Thank you again for getting back to me. I guess I'll go sign up for some Continental Chess Association tournaments. They're ready to go with their schedule and sign-up information.  

Kingpatzer

Anyone from Wisconsin state chess association around with details? 

Is anyone actually planning this thing? 

chessmaster102
Kingpatzer wrote:

Here's my response to their e-mail:

Ashley, 

Thank you for your quick and informative response. 

I must say that I'm honestly continually frustrated and amazed that the USCF does not understand that last minute schedule planning is not something their membership appreciates. 

I do not address this to you personally as I do appreciate you getting back to me; but, in general, it is simply beyond my comprehension how the USCF expects people to plan a trip to national events when they withhold critical information about the event until the last minute. 

At my job I have to schedule training conferences a year in advance. When I was an academic I'd frequently schedule conference travel out 18 months ahead of time. 

I can hardly imagine I'm unique among OTB players in wanting to be able to plan my travel and related expenses. 

Perhaps the USCF might consider that national events should have this sort of information ready to go in a more timely manner in the future?

Thank you again for getting back to me. I guess I'll go sign up for some Continental Chess Association tournaments. They're ready to go with their schedule and sign-up information.  

+1

chasm1995

Good luck if you end up going to the tournament, but I have no idea how to find these annnouncements.