Forums

Which Chess player do you think there should be a movie about?

Sort:
Spiritbro77

"Chariots of Fire isn't a biopic, it is a story about preparing for the Olympics. What made that story compelling wasn't the sport, but the competing interests of church, state, social class, family, and glory. Get all of those elements together in a chess movie, and you may have a hit."

And there's no reason you couldn't get most if not all of those elements in a chess movie.

Bronstein was 17 when the Nazi's invaded. His eyesight was too poor to be a soldier so they had him play chess with wounded men in hospital. A great screenwriter could turn that story into an excellent script. Get the right Director and casting and you've go something.

The story of his match with Botvinnik and all the politics surrounding that contest could also make an interesting subject. 

Morphy's tragic final days should make a dramatic work if the screenplay is right.

Spiritbro77
The1899Club wrote:

Rocky wasn't a washed up boxer.  The character was written as a talented amateur boxer that successfully proved himself against a top professional boxer.

In a way, the 2006 film Invincible, being the story of Vince Papale, has the same plot.  Both films are also set in 1970's Philadelphia.

You might want to re-watch Rocky. It opens with him taking a terrible beating in a backroom ring. At the start of that film he's down on his luck, living in the ghetto, and breaking legs for a hood to make rent. He's punch drunk. His prospects are so bad Mick turns him down when Rocky asks to train there. Then the miracle chance gets thrown his way and Mick changes his mind.... If it wasn't for that miracle chance his career was over.... Rocky was the story of a man so far down he can't SEE up and he overcomes that extreme adversity to draw the Champion.

RonaldJosephCote

To 1899Club; post227; I can't see it either, but people in Hoolywood are VERY creative. Would it be realistic?  eh?

RonaldJosephCote

I think the alternate ending of,"Gravity" had George Clooney drifting off into outer space, and he pulls out a chess set from his suit, and starts playing!

SmyslovFan
The1899Club wrote:

My good sir, please explain how you would incorporate the elements of "(1) church, (2) state, (3) social class, (4) family, and (5) glory" into a film about chess.

For the life of me I cannot see it.  Please elaborate.

Make a movie about Akiba Rubinstein compared to Emanuel Lasker or Sammy Reshevsky compared to Bobby Fischer. Or Bill Lombardy... 

Or, just read some of the stories by Nabokov.

There already is an excellent movie about family, politics and social pressures in chess: Dangerous Moves. It won an Oscar for best foreign film.

ingridev

Kasparov. That would be awesome.

I don't see how they can make a great movie about Magnus Carlsen at this point (unless it's documentaries, but it's enough of them already!). 

netzach

Paul Keres.

ConnorMacleod_151

Definitely Kasparov. Casting??

I reckon Gerald Butler Tongue Out

MrDamonSmith

I just saw The Wolf Of Wallstreet & it was wild!! 

I just can't picture them trying to get chessplayers into a story like that but it would be sooo cool. Maybe Magnus could be the main character. If y'all haven't had a chance to see it, you should. Adults only though. Ahem... clearing throught... adults only. 

KenyDurant

Alexander Alekhine's story is pretty interesting.

MrDamonSmith

Oh, & the Kasparov movie idea: he was asked about that. He was asked if a movie were made about his life who did he think would be a good pick for an actor portraying him. He said Joaquin Phoenix. 

tmodel66

Me.  "Adventures of a C Player".  It would have mass appeal because most of us suck at chess.

MrDamonSmith

Or The Backyard Professor: The adventures of a G player. Rated G of course.

Somebodysson
idosheepallnight wrote:

No doubt Karpov and how his country and the FIDE manipulated tornaments by throwing games, then how they kidnapped Korchonois son during the world championship and all the other underhanded things that were done by Karpov and his country.

Karpov was/is a chessplayer. Don't confuse Karpov with the KGB. 

MrKornKid

TAL!!!

SmyslovFan
idosheepallnight wrote:

No doubt Karpov and how his country and the FIDE manipulated tornaments by throwing games, then how they kidnapped Korchonois son during the world championship and all the other underhanded things that were done by Karpov and his country.

The greatest chess movie I've ever seen (barring The Seventh Seal, which some people don't consider to be a chess movie), was Dangerous Moves. It was based on the Karpov-Korchnoi match in Baguio. 

karthik1109

fisher

puhnkriglwade

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1596345/

Coming this year. Bobby will be portrayed by Tobey Maguire.