Forums

Who will win the 2013 world championship? Anand or Carlsen?

Sort:
Bob_stew

The ratings don't win the match they're a good indicator of the probability of the result. They're both going to be at the top of their game. 

Of course, there's also the question of how well they prepare against each other specifically, affecting the probabilities considerably.

john456852

I think Carlsen for sure. He beat Kasparov's record. His rating is 2862. He has more than Anand.

varelse1

Anybody know where the bookmakers are putting the odds for this match?

DarknisMetalDragon

Anand might have a chance if he beat Levon Aronian (No. 2 player in the world, Elo: 8013). Levon Aronian beat him most of the time, but that was two, four, five, and six years ago. This shows that Anand has gotten better since two years if he could finally beat him in a regular game, especially if he would be number one without Carlsen being born. I understand that one game might not make that big of a difference, but Anand played brilliant moves in that game.

http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1704763

Btw, I think Anand just had a bad day at Tal Memorial, which is common for any professional player to have a bad performance. Also, I do think that Carlsen will most likely win, but I think Anand's chances are higher than most people might think. Rating could make a difference, but not that big of a difference. My ideas about this are changing as I learn more about the players.

DarknisMetalDragon
Estragon wrote:
varelse1 wrote:

Carlsen to win is odds-on at 2/5

Anand is 7/4 to win

Did you mean 4/7?

F0T0T0
DarknisMetalDragon wrote:

What's up with anand giving up his knight,bishop in front of pawns and rook to the knight??

niceforkinmove

varelse1 wrote:

I still think a WC match should be 24 games.

But nobody's listening to me, as usual. So I'll leave it there.

I agree with you. So do people who understand statistics.

http://www.chessbase.com/Home/TabId/211/PostId/4011007/are-the-chess-world-champions-just-lucky--part-2-060913.aspx

The problem is the title was degraded by Kasparov's split and the fide's crazy subsequent tournament championships.   So now it is difficult to get sponsorship for such a long match.  Of course, if they did start with these matches again (and candidtates matches to qualify) the credibility of the title would increase and more sponsors would be interested.

Bottom line Fide has and continues to squander chess's largest asset - the world championship title.  It will require a changes to start giving it legitimacy again.  

fburton
DarknisMetalDragon wrote:
Estragon wrote:
varelse1 wrote:

Carlsen to win is odds-on at 2/5

Anand is 7/4 to win

Did you mean 4/7?

According to

http://chess.about.com/b/2013/06/22/world-championship-odds-anand-vs-carlsen.htm

the odds are 7/4 for an Anand win (i.e. less likely than Carlsen).

Ron-Weasley
Ionlywearblue wrote:

who do you guy's think will win.

I'm reminded of the Kasparov v Kramnik match. Even though the ratings seperating them were 50 points the bookie offs were 5 to 1 in favor of kasparov. Again the ratings indicate it's too close to call yet Carlson is a huge favorite. If anyone is in England and the odds are similar to Kasparov v Kramnik ie 3 to 1 or more I'd suggest laying a reasonable bet on the bookies underdog. It could be one of the few occasions in life where the odds are actually in your favor statistically.

fabelhaft
Ron-Weasley wrote:
Again the ratings indicate it's too close to call yet Carlson is a huge favorite.

A difference of 95 points is rather significant. Anand has also dropped many points the last years while Carlsen has gained a lot, so lately the difference has been considerably bigger. Anand has 95 points down to Ragger, but to me the difference is even more pronounced when the much younger and improving player is the one with the increasing lead on the rating list.

varelse1
[COMMENT DELETED]
79Abraxas79

As neither has the courage to face the backyard professor in a serious match, I consider the WC match largely irrelevant. 

Whoever wins the "match" may claim to be "World Champion" but all us know who the best player really is.

79Abraxas79
Slovenly wrote:

Chess needs an infusion of youth and charisma badly to market itself.  Magnus may not have it, but we know Anand doesn't.  Total stiff.

I rather imagine the outcome has been predetermined, and Anand will be receiving a nice backroom bonus in addition to his official payday to take one for the team, here.

I don't think that is entirely fair.  He is pretty popular in India, and chess has really taken off in that country.  Look at the good players that they are producing.  Outside of India though its a another matter.  He hasn't done much to promote the game, and honestly, most non-chess players have never heard of him or know that he is the present world champion.

Almost everyone has heard of Magnus Carlsen.  If he should become WC, it remains to be seen what he would do for the game. 

ah93704559

I think Carlson is vastly overrated and will get his butt kicked. He will go home and cry like the autistic child we all know he is!

KingGS007

annand will win.!!

chess11kid

Carlson

TetsuoShima

seriously it could go either way, there is no reason to believe otherwise

Here_Is_Plenty
TetsuoShima wrote:

What meds are you on?  The only question is the margin Anand loses by, which is a shame since I like Anand better.

TetsuoShima
Here_Is_Plenty wrote:
TetsuoShima wrote:

What meds are you on?  The only question is the margin Anand loses by, which is a shame since I like Anand better.

i wish i knew on what meds, i hate meds but seriously anand has beaten Kramnik, Kramnik tied with Carlsen in the Candidates. what exactly makes you think that Anand can not win??

his win against Aronian in  wijk an zee??

TetsuoShima

but seriously you dont want to be on the meds im on