Forums

Who will win the 2013 world championship? Anand or Carlsen?

Sort:
ramvetha
Elubas wrote:

I'll predict Carlsen to win comfortably, but not outright crush Anand. Maybe he'll win by a margin of about 1.5.

A margin of 1.5 is mathematically not possible. It has to be a whole number. Just think through :) I am predicting Anand to win by +2

Radical_Drift
ramvetha wrote:
Elubas wrote:

I'll predict Carlsen to win comfortably, but not outright crush Anand. Maybe he'll win by a margin of about 1.5.

A margin of 1.5 is mathematically not possible. It has to be a whole number. Just think through :) I am predicting Anand to win by +2

This has already been mentioned.

willbecomeaGM
noleryer wrote:

nakamura

what?

TetsuoShima
brilliantbishop700 wrote:
noleryer wrote:

nakamura

what?

btw awesome pic and name!!!

varelse1
noleryer wrote:

nakamura

Anand is currently tied for 7-8 ion the world, alonside Mediocru Nakamura. And dropping quickly.

Rational_Optimist
KillLogiC wrote:

I wonder why Carlsen is the favorite. But Anand is the world champion.

one of reasons is the system.this very old system needs to be changed.the system which allows champion to defend his title without playing in chess candidates.this system was a revolutionary one compared with older system which let champion choose his opponent but after more than 60 years,this systems obviously needs to change.

Rational_Optimist

i believe there are qualities in carlsen that makes his unstoppable for anand.if it were aronian,i expected a very close match but i think anand has been calcified.he is unstable and age has its own effects.this isnot a race between two old guys anymore but he faces a fresh young talented resourceful man and i simply cant see any future for anand to stick to his title.time has come for a change and this change is beneficial for chessworld.in this regard i compare it with lasker stienitz or tal botvinnik matches when fresh,resourceful indefatigable young men inflicted an utterly crushing defeat on their dogmatic calcified old opponents.

KillLogiC
tesla1 wrote:

i believe there are qualities in carlsen that makes his unstoppable for anand.if it were aronian,i expected a very close match but i think anand has been calcified.he is unstable and age has its own effects.this isnot a race between two old guys anymore but he faces a fresh young talented resourceful man and i simply cant see any future for anand to stick to his title.time has come for a change and this change is beneficial for chessworld.in this regard i compare it with lasker stienitz or tal botvinnik matches when fresh,resourceful indefatigable young men inflicted an utterly crushing defeat on their dogmatic calcified old opponents.

You're probably right. Although if Anand is on the right form, even Carlsen cant defeat him, no one could at this time. even Kramnik think like that.

Its just a question of whether or not Anand is still on shape. Note that, Anand playing on tournaments is just a fraction of what he really is, he's not showing his opening novelty. and we'll gonna see it on november.

karthik1109

surely Anand will win.....proud to be an Indian.....

HatePositionalChess
shockinn wrote:

anand will win 12-0

He cant win 12-0! If he wins first 7 games WCC will be concluded there and then and no further games played.

ivandh

Megazord

Senator-Blutarsky

I don't think India needs to pray for Anand to win, better they offer their prayers that Carlsen will at least show him some pity and not win by too wide a margin.

Insanistis
WalangAlam wrote:

The format is match play. Something that Carlsen has avoided literally like the Fide World Cup starting at the quarter finals and the Fide Candidate Matches old format. However he will probably settle after 3 games. Carlsen is prepared to draw all the games and decide it in the rapids. He has been active in the last 3 years in the blitz and rapids World championships! Experience will indeed be a factor favoring Anand but i believe the pressure playing in his hometown would also affect him. If the games will be decided in the endgame i believe Anand will have the upperhand, infact i believe that would be one of his strategies! 

Thinking Anand could outclass Carlsen in the endgame :')

karthik1109

Senator-Blutarsky wrote:

I don't think India needs to pray for Anand to win, better they offer their prayers that Carlsen will at least show him some pity and not win by too wide a margin.

hehehe lets see that in Nov I know carlsen is a young attacking chess player but don't underestimate Anand....

Rational_Optimist
Insanistis wrote:
WalangAlam wrote:

The format is match play. Something that Carlsen has avoided literally like the Fide World Cup starting at the quarter finals and the Fide Candidate Matches old format. However he will probably settle after 3 games. Carlsen is prepared to draw all the games and decide it in the rapids. He has been active in the last 3 years in the blitz and rapids World championships! Experience will indeed be a factor favoring Anand but i believe the pressure playing in his hometown would also affect him. If the games will be decided in the endgame i believe Anand will have the upperhand, infact i believe that would be one of his strategies! 

i dont think carlsen is such an outstanding endgame player.

he has recently lost to ivanchuk,wang and caruana by making decisive mistakes in endgames.

Likhit1
shockinn wrote:

anand will win 12-0

ROFL.

Insanistis
tesla1 wrote:
Insanistis wrote:
WalangAlam wrote:

i dont think carlsen is such an outstanding endgame player.

he has recently lost to ivanchuk,wang and caruana by making decisive mistakes in endgames.

Your wrong assumptions says it all.

tacticop

6 1/2 to 5 1/2 for carlsen

bobbymac310
APawnCanDream wrote:

I'm hoping for more decisive games and fewer draws and it wouldn't shock me if it went into a tiebreaker after 12 classical games. Anand is going to need to show that opening preparation for WC matches matter and Carlsen might show that while the game starts in the opening, it rarely ends there. I hope both bring their best to the table for the match. I'm rooting for Anand mostly because I think Carlsen needs a few more years before claiming the title personally and who doesn't want to see an old tiger pounce again. It would also be nice to see that Anand, while not dominating his peers at tournaments as WC, keeps his best for when it matters. We'll see, looking forward to the match!

Being an old guy I agree, I also think that, if he loses Carlsen will become a better player and accomplish more than if he wins. Time will tell.

Veritas08
waffllemaster wrote:
ChessPlayer6033 wrote:
fabelhaft wrote:
Elubas wrote:                                                                                                               Honestly I think the rating system is a better (albeit less dramatic/exciting) indicator of strength -- it keeps an accurate summary of results against a wide variety of players, not just one particular player

Agreed, and I never understood why some people seem to be hung up on the idea that the World Champion must be the strongest player in the world, and, as was said just the other day, that the rating system just is incorrect unless Anand is ranked as the best player in the world. Or Gelfand, if he had won that rapid game he lost.

When Smyslov won the Candidates in 1953 with a big margin he lost his minimatch to Kotov, who finished 8-9th. Does that mean that Kotov was better than Smyslov? If so, he must at the same time have been worse than Boleslavsky, who he lost his games to but who finished even further down the field. It is just impossible to construct a world ranking that way. 

Kramnik may have done well against Kasparov since his playing style was difficult for Kasparov. When he was given a match without qualifying he won it. Still, if Kramnik supposedly was a better chess player than Kasparov because of this, Kasparov must certainly have been better than Shirov, who he scored something like 15-0 against. And Shirov won the qualification match against Kramnik, so how could Kramnik be seen as better than Shirov? This way of ranking players obviously just doesn't work, and the rating list is in general a much better tool for that. 

Agreed, for maybe Anand Will crush Svilder yet Svildlers score against Aronian is pretty good. But then Aronian beats anand who is the best??

No, head to head matches determine who the better of two players are.  Ratings show how you average against a set.  The only way I'd say ratings show who the real number 1 is is if games were divided equally among the set and played over a long period of time.  e.g. Ivanchuk goes to many tournaments leaving him tired or not as well prepared.  Others may avoid certain tourneys or have a run against a certain opponent etc.

And back when the candidates cycles consisted of many matches that was an even better system.

If you compare matches from different times then it's pointless.  e.g. Kramnik beat Kasparov.  It's just silly.  Of course early career or near retirement is not the same as peak form.

Head to head matches don't determine with 100% accuracy who the better player is, and neither do head to head records. In Anand's head to head record against Carlsen he is leading, but does that mean he is a better player than Carlsen/Carlsen is a worse player than Anand? No.