Forums

Can you solve this mate in 4?

Sort:
Adriandmen

Hello everyone. I made a funny chess problem. Please don't post the answer if you use an engine. Happy solving Wink:

White mates in 4

ChessisGood

That's really awesome! :D

HINT: Every piece is useful!

THIS IS AN EXCELLENT PUZZLE!

Adriandmen

Thanks ChessisGood, I think it's also awesome :). 

Thanks for the compliments Cool, and thanks for not displaying the answer Laughing.

Adriandmen

I also think this puzzle is hard, I will submit another puzzle like this later, after this is solved Laughing.

shoopi

At first I looked at the possibility of a discovered mate theme. Something like 1. Bg1 a5 2. Rf2 Kd4 3. Rf4#. Of course that fails to 2... Ke3.

Then I considered a different mating net that also uses the a4 pawn. 1. Ba3 a5 2. Bc1 Kd4 3. Kd6 with 4. Rf4# next. But of course, here black has 1... Ke3 once more.

So I tried a more direct approach. Here's the solution:

1. Kd6 (not 1. Bd4?) a5 2. Bd4! Kxd4 3. Re5 Kc4 4. Re4#.

LuanaKaylani
[COMMENT DELETED]
Adriandmen

Congratulations Shoopi!!. 1.Kd6! is the correct answer. Here is a puzzle with the answer:

GhostNight

This was a marvelous puzzle, would be in the advanced category! You said it was your composition. I wanted to work it out on my own but I saw the first move, darn, but still it was a great problem even in three! But for the first move Bd4 would work also, if I done it right? try it? 

Suvel

yes..  i got it

Adriandmen

Sorry GhostNight, but 1.Bd4 doesn't put black into zugzwang. He isn't forced to play a5. Here is a diagram:

But thanks for the compliments. I'm glad you liked it!! Cool.

Well Suvel_Karmarkar, congratulations if you solved it!. It was quite a hard puzzle.

Thanks for the compliments Doduobird123. Thanks for the attempt Laughing, it was quite wonderful.

chessusilo

Any more problems?

houdini1_5a

did this in 0.00 sec

GhostNight

Gosh, I apologize, thanks for explaining! Embarassed I would call that problem "The perfect zugzwang"!

Adriandmen
houdini1_5a wrote:

did this in 0.00 sec

Haha, I get the joke Laughing.

Yes Chessusilo, click here to go to the mate in 3!. Good luck

houdini1_5a

not a joke, i reallY DID THAT.