Forums

Mate in 2

Sort:
mandlebrot

mandlebrot

What does everyone think of this mate in 2 that I composed?

mandlebrot

You all understand this is not a daily puzzle, right.

WolfintheMistJP

Nice one!  I knew that something had to be involved with the discovered check, but I had no idea that it was supposed to be after the answer.  Great puzzle!

Stjef

Hi Mandlebrot

It is a good problem, but I wonder about some of the pieces. Ng8, f7, g7, b6 are not necessary. And you could also remove one of the a-pawns (but not both since then black could defend with 1...Ra8. Infact you could also spare the g3-pawn by moving the rook from h2 to f2. Chess composers love it, when you can make the problem more economical.

When solving it, I immiately noticed that black threatened a check on e1, so white needs a defence agains this. 2. Nd1+ seems to do the job but only if c5 is defended. The mates after 1...Kc3, 1...Rc8 and 1...Re1 are all unique, and that is a plus.

mandlebrot

Thank you very much for the feedback Stjef!  The reason I put the extra pawns in the problem was so that it would instantly obvious which side white and black started on.  

I also liked that your thought process for solving it was very similar to my thought process for creating it.  Did you notice that 1. Na6 fails to Ke5?

Stjef

Well to me white always plays from the bottom of the board, but I realize this is not the case in many of the diagrams in the posts here (i'm quite new to chess.com).

Anyway, I did notice the try 1. Na6, and this adds to the quality of the problem, because there is only the one refutation.

mandlebrot
[COMMENT DELETED]