Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

Odds & Ends ( etc )

• 3 months ago · Quote · #661

cabadenwurt

We don't have a Flag Day here in Canada but we do celebrate July 1st as Canada Day. However it has now been 50 years since we got our new flag, yes our happy little Maple Leaf. I remember our then Prime Minister Lester Pearson ( back in 1965 ) had some work to do to get the new flag accepted but nowadays it is a beloved symbol of Canada. 

• 3 months ago · Quote · #662

cabadenwurt

In this thead we cover odd items from time to time which brings us to the town of Taber, Alberta. They have just brought in some new by-laws there that are rather goofy:

1) No swearing in public,

2) No spitting on the public sidewalks,

3) No gatherings of more than 3 people on public property,

No I'm not making this stuff up  lol. Of course this will end up in court and then most likely go on to our Supreme Court. However when I first heard about this goofy stuff the other day I wondered if I had been transported back to the old USSR ( Soviet Union ). The provincial government here in Alberta does have the power to remove a local council if needed but I didn't hear anything about that yet.   

• 3 months ago · Quote · #663

Joseph-S

cabadenwurt wrote:

In this thead we cover odd items from time to time which brings us to the town of Taber, Alberta. They have just brought in some new by-laws there that are rather goofy:

3) No gatherings of more than 3 people on public property,

No I'm not making this stuff up  lol.   

Oh c'mon, Cabby;  be REAL!        Smile

(Did you mean, public sidewalk?)

• 2 months ago · Quote · #664

cabadenwurt

Thanks for the post Joseph-S. I forgot to mention the other day that a curfew is now in effect in Taber for minors. On the getting together in groups we do have the Right Of Assembly up here as well so I'm sure that this BS will end up in court soon. I just hope that the mass-media does not get ahold of this goofy stuff.

• 2 months ago · Quote · #665

ivandh

It seems that in small towns there is always someone who wants to be a big pot and tell everyone what to do.

• 2 months ago · Quote · #666

cabadenwurt

ivandh wrote:

It seems that in small towns there is always someone who wants to be a big pot and tell everyone what to do.

--- Thanks for the post Ivandh. Yes that is quite true. In this case I still think that the provincial government here needs to remove the mayor and council down there and then run the town directly for a while.

• 2 months ago · Quote · #667

cabadenwurt

Tomorrow is a day that is perfect for guys like me, it is International Goof-Off Day. Yup I'm very good at goofing-off, however not too many other talents here tho  lol.

• 2 months ago · Quote · #668

AlCzervik

Shit...that's every other day for me.

• 2 months ago · Quote · #669

cabadenwurt

AlCzervik wrote:

Shit...that's every other day for me.

A yes I know the feeling. Mind you I was a lttle upset on Sunday because we had received a small amount of snow Saturday night and so I had to do some sweeping around here( I was supposed to just goof-off all day  lol ).

• 2 months ago · Quote · #670

cabadenwurt

I've got to send out an apology to the people that have on-line games going with me. My old old PC is acting up a bit and I have to dump all of the games ( as the fellow on " Get Smart " would say: Sorry about that Chief ).

• 7 weeks ago · Quote · #671

cabadenwurt

Some new info from the Mayo clinic states that " Sitting Will Kill You ". The average adult spends 8 hours or more sitting around per day and it is very bad for your health. Standing ( or walking of course ) is much better for you. Mind you the Romans also had a good idea many years ago because when they held their big feasts they would just lay right down on their style of sofa. At any rate the word is: Do not sit down !

• 7 weeks ago · Quote · #672

AlCzervik

I don't pass up an empty chair.

• 7 weeks ago · Quote · #673

cabadenwurt

AlCzervik wrote:

I don't pass up an empty chair.

--- Thanks for the post AlCzervik. Yes I seem to have the same policy and my fitness level shows it ( me and Santa Claus have a lot in common  lol ).

• 7 weeks ago · Quote · #674

cabadenwurt

Sometimes one reads about sad events that are funny at the same time. A couple of weeks back a gent down in Pennsylvania was helping to decorate his mother-in-law's tombstone ( a tall stone of some 400 lbs ) when it fell over on top of him and killed him. Now this fellow may have thought that he was safe because the old battle-ax was dead but she got him in the end anyway. So what very important life-lesson have we learned here ? Be nice to you mother-in-law or she will get you sooner or later.

• 3 weeks ago · Quote · #675

cabadenwurt

A bit of " Inside Baseball " for Canadian visitors to this thread. Not to talk politics but a  bit of history has just been made here in Alberta. Something that many many people said would never ever happen has now happened. In Canada we have a party that is a lot like the Labour Party in the UK ( the NDP, ie the New Democratic Party ). Yes the NDP is now the goverment of Alberta by winning 55 seats out of a total of 85. This is now part of the history of Canada.

• 3 weeks ago · Quote · #676

kaynight

Hope they don't invade Iraq cab, like our waste of space Labour Party.

• 3 weeks ago · Quote · #677

cabadenwurt

Thanks for the post Kaynight.

Sometimes one sees ads that are kind of cute such as one that was in a recent flyer in the mail. It is an ad for a " Toilet Golf Game ". Yes there is a photo of a fellow sitting on the throne ( taken from the side to be somewhat proper  lol ) holding a short golf putter. His feet are on a beautiful green rug that is specialy fitted to match up with the " Throne " and off to the side is a hole for the golf ball to arrive at ( like the ones that we see people in the movies using when they are putting around in an office ). However the best part of the ad is that this store has set a limit of 3 of these items per customer. Yes ! They are worried that there might be a run on " Toilet Golf Games "  rofl. 

Post your reply: