Forums

Too late?

Sort:
tomcadders

Hi! I'm 16 and I've only just become aware of the subtelties of Chess. I have been reading through this forum and have been seeing that children around the ages of 10 become aware of things such as Castling and En Passant. Have I kind of passed the age where I'll become awesome at Chess, or is there still hope?!

Thanks!

TeraHammer

They said that about Skywalker.

UnratedGamesOnly

It depends on what you mean by "awesome"

If you mean will i become a world champion?  Then probably no.  If you mean can i become a master?  Then yes as long as youre willing to put in the time and effort. 

If youre looking to become a competitive tournament chess player, then absolutely yes!

browni3141

I don't understand the belief that it's impossible or even significantly more difficult to do something, like become awesome at chess, if you are starting a little late. At 16, the only things you're to old to do are crawl into small spaces and suffocate yourself with plastic bags.

browni3141
pfren wrote:

You won' become a world champion, but you can become a very strong player, provided that you will work hard.

Doesn't he have the same chances as anyone else?

Jaybee03zee

Well you need to start beating me before you're a master, Tom ;)

kavitenyo
tomcadders wrote:

Hi! I'm 16 and I've only just become aware of the subtelties of Chess. I have been reading through this forum and have been seeing that children around the ages of 10 become aware of things such as Castling and En Passant. Have I kind of passed the age where I'll become awesome at Chess, or is there still hope?!

Thanks!

there is hope my friend.  but if you want to get strong just message me

RoaringPawn

One of greatest chess geniuses, Akiba Rubinstein, started learning chess at the age of 16.

Who knows, you too may start giving simuls soon!

SystemaZaitsev

you are never too old to become awesome at chess

SystemaZaitsev
pfren escribió:

You won' become a world champion, but you can become a very strong player, provided that you will work hard.

but that would depend on the persons talent and ability i guess it depends on the person :D

GnrfFrtzl
tomcadders írta:

Thanks!

Remember, Van Gogh started painting at the age of 28.
Anyhow, why play to be better? I think that just ruins the whole feeling and atmosphere of the game.
I'd rather loose in a very interesting game that makes me think rather than spending hours a day memorizing patterns and all that.
I've never read a single book about chess, nor have I analyzed any of my or others' game to be better.
I know I'm a bad player, but that's fine that way.
Just play for fun and your own entertainment.
This is a game, after all. Don't stress it.

GnrfFrtzl
tubebender írta:
GnrfFrtzl wrote:
tomcadders írta:

Thanks!

Anyhow, why play to be better? I think that just ruins the whole feeling and atmosphere of the game.
I'd rather loose in a very interesting game that makes me think rather than spending hours a day memorizing patterns and all that.
I've never read a single book about chess, nor have I analyzed any of my or others' game to be better.

I am so glad you and others like you exist; at least II`m guaranteed winning those games. Thanks, guys. Keep playing for fun!

You're a douche, be proud of it.

niceforkinmove

I'm definitely with GnrfFtzl.  It's never too late to enjoy chess.

I will never be a master but I enjoy watching the chess world championship much more than most sports.  With other sports you will learn some strategy and get to see it in action but you are very limitted.  With chess you never stop learning.

waffllemaster
tomcadders wrote:

Thanks!

Oh no, kids at 10 know how to castle?

lol.

The best 10 year olds have been playing tournament chess for years are close to master strength and are already better than >90% of the rest of us will ever be.

You can be "awesome" at chess for sure.  Mostly because "awesome" to you is not grandmaster.  Awesome is probably being able to beat the crap out of everyone you know 10 out of 10 games.  Yes, you can do this with some work.

And hey, if you're literally a one in a billion talent then you may even become GM one day.

But chances are you're like most of us.  We enjoy chess for the beauty and challenge.  We've improved vastly from day 1 and can even keep improving a little every day.  But we'll never be playing elite tournaments.

I got interested at 18 and went to my first tourney at 21.  I plan to play and enjoy chess until I die even though I'll also never be anything close to grandmaster.

GnrfFrtzl
tubebender írta:
GnrfFrtzl wrote:
tubebender írta:
GnrfFrtzl wrote:
tomcadders írta:

Thanks!

I am so glad you and others like you exist; at least II`m guaranteed winning those games. Thanks, guys. Keep playing for fun!

You're a douche, be proud of it.

I have been in freshwater bass tournaments and "play to win". It`s not all luck. My point is that I often tactics/strategies that seem actually dull and boring but they put fish in the livewell. I "fish for fun" and experiment with different lures when not in a tournament. The guys who love to experiment in a tournament usually end up with no fish in the livewell. You fishermen who compete should get my point. Does that make me a " douche" as one of my critics said?

The way you phrased it sounded extremely arrogant and douchey.

dpcarballo
tomcadders escribió:

Thanks!

You'll never be a world champion, but anyone can get a FIDE master title with normal capacities