Forums

Love the new format!

Sort:
mjconns

Bravo!

I like seeing the larger boards of my ongoing games, the buttons are more polished, I enjoy the larger icons of my friends who are signed in, and overall navigations seems quicker. 

I think the facelift was well done, well designed, and well executed.

For those of you who don't like change:

"Change is the law of life. And those who look only to the past or present are certain to miss the future."
-J.F.K.

"It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change."
-Charles Darwin

"To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often."
-Winston Churchill

"When you're finished changing, you're finished."
-Benjamin Franklin

"You can't expect to meet the challenges of today with yesterday's tools and expect to be in business tomorrow."
-Unknown 

navneethc

I wonder why members have opened so many threads to vent their feelings instead of having only one where all opinions could be easily consolidated.

For my part, I like the changes: the interface has acquired a bit of polish, and navigation seems smoother.

The layout still needs to be fixed; there are some overlapping texts, for example.

Does anyone really need sound simulation of the chess board? More than having it in mute, I'd rather not have the provision at all.

navneethc

It would preferable to have button that says "Log out", instead of simply a cross on what seems like a widget which at glance seems to give the option of removing the said "widget".

mjconns

If your mouse hovers above the X it says "Log Out?" -- I feel as though that's sufficient.

What do you think?

mjconns

And I do agree, it looks polished and feels smoother. I think I navigate through the menus faster.

navneethc
mjconns wrote:

If your mouse hovers above the X it says "Log Out?" -- I feel as though that's sufficient.

What do you think?

I just prefer something more explicit. Some other symbol, perhaps -- like the "power" button of remote, say?

Martin_Stahl
navneethc wrote:
mjconns wrote:

What do you think?

I just prefer something more explicit. Some other symbol, perhaps -- like the "power" button of remote, say?

I agree, it is a bit unintuitive, but once you know what it is, it really isn't that much harder than the explicit link. I've been using the beta since they opened it up and I don't find it that much of a bother now.

mjconns

Yeah, fair enough - I see your point. It doesn't really bother me, but I do see your point and I do agree that a clearer icon would be nice.

mjconns
Martin_Stahl wrote:
navneethc wrote:
mjconns wrote:

What do you think?

I agree, it is a bit unintuitive, but once you know what it is, it really isn't that much harder than the explicit link. I've been using the beta since they opened it up and I don't find it that much of a bother now.

Yeah, there are a couple small things - such as the 'log out' button - that are not immediately apparent but only take a few seconds to figure out and are no longer an issue.

I love the new site the more I use it. Everything seems quicker and more responsive; everything is polished. I used to think the site looked cheap and outdated. 

mjconns

BTW,

Aren't we all glad we get to play chess for FREE, if we want? I think we need some perspective here... all members who do not pay for a premium subscription are playing chess for FREE -- is it really necessary to be upset about a new design and layout? 

Conflagration_Planet

I hate the notes blaring out on the home page.

AlCzervik
mjconns wrote:

Bravo!

I like seeing the larger boards of my ongoing games, the buttons are more polished, I enjoy the larger icons of my friends who are signed in, and overall navigations seems quicker. 

"Change is the law of life. And those who look only to the past or present are certain to miss the future."
-J.F.K.

"It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change."
-Charles Darwin

-Winston Churchill

-Benjamin Franklin

"You can't expect to meet the challenges of today with yesterday's tools and expect to be in business tomorrow."
-Unknown 

The only constant in life is change. But, to many, this seems like change just for the sake of change. Many have reported bugs (after chess.com worked on this for a year). And, some are still navigating to find the "improvements".

louielouie

This new page is dumb, it looks washed out, no contrast, gone is the red letters that said your move, gone is the other players rating, I see nothing that looks better. Bring back the regular page, don't try to fix what's not broken. Too hard to find players % of win/loss, I just hate it.

jtt96

I like it! It's great!

rnunesmagalhaes

I like it a lot.

mjconns
TMIMITW wrote:
mjconns wrote:

Bravo!

-J.F.K.

-Charles Darwin

-Winston Churchill

-Benjamin Franklin

-Unknown 

The only constant in life is change. But, to many, this seems like change just for the sake of change. Many have reported bugs (after chess.com worked on this for a year). And, some are still navigating to find the "improvements".

louielouie wrote:

This new page is dumb, it looks washed out, no contrast, gone is the red letters that said your move, gone is the other players rating, I see nothing that looks better. Bring back the regular page, don't try to fix what's not broken. Too hard to find players % of win/loss, I just hate it.

louielouie & TMIMITW:

The first day you logged into chess.com did you immediately know where everything was and navigate flawlessly? No! You had to learn the website and find where things were. This is no different, except that the learning curve will be much more forgiving as the navigation change is minor.

The design is polished and the website does navigate faster/transitions more smoothly. These are good updates. 

Yes, there are bugs, which are almost impossible to fully iron out without thousands and thousands of users (all of us, the chess.com community) testing it out and finding them. Over time the developers can fix those bugs. Sure, it takes time, but again -- this is a FREE website. We can choose to pay for more perks, but it's not required.

The old design was exactly that: OLD. It was outdated and ancient. It did need an update -- an update that I, and others, think was done well (save for bugs that can and will be ironed out.

I believe the majority of people just don't like change. That aside, I think we all need to play more chess :)

AlCzervik

mjconns, while you think the new version is more polished, not all do. It's a subjective thing, just like you stating the old site was OLD. Well, at least it was functional.

You state this is faster. Well, it's pretty much exactly the same speed for me. There have been some complaints in other forums stating the new version is slower than the previous version.

I agree that some don't like change. Well, there would not be so many complaints if there were no bugs. Some have valid complaints, and, they must be very disappointed when they have issues about a redesign that was worked on for a year.

If you like it I'm happy for you. Just don't automatically discount those that disagree.

Cheers. 

mjconns

I do not disagree that there are bugs, but those can be fixed in time.

I just feel as though the change is being blown out of proportion (look at the number of complaint threads versus praise threads). Everyone's opinion is valid, yours and mine both, but I think that we all need to keep it in perspective that this is free website...

Anywho. I hope there's a compromise that arrives that will make all happy.

Cheers! 

Ab_Abber2000

Forced change is completely uncalled for on a site like this, and people will vote with their feet.   Thank God there is no monopoly on chess sites.

CerebralAssassin

give it about a week...and then everyone will love the new design Tongue out