Forums

Norway Chess 2015 - Round 5

Sort:
Chess_Events

Chess_Events
Debistro

Carlsen gets his first win over the overrated Grischuk who cracks as usual, in time trouble.

Chess_Events
Chess_Events
kaaraa

How disappointing for Caruana....he's one of my favourite GMs

fabelhaft

"the overrated Grischuk"

He can play a little:

http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chess.pl?tid=84910&crosstable=1

Chess_Events
fabelhaft

Wow, how many question marks does Hammer get for that last move?

JMB2010

How does a 2670 GM play Kc6???

fabelhaft

"How does a 2670 GM play Kc6???"

The only explanation is that Topalov has sold his soul to the Dark One, going by how his wins against the Norwegians have looked :-)

Nessajja

Greasechuk and Hammerhead! hehehehe :)

kclemens

I can't believe Hammer played Kc6. You don't even need to calculate- just trade off the last pawn and Black can't possibly win. It's easy to be a critic but that's the kind of mistake I see from 1600 players. At my level (1900) I expect everyone to know an endgame like that 100%. Everyone blunders and maybe he was just tired... but my goodness that was a horrendous move!

samoTomas

That was horrible. Was sure he was going to cry in the norwegian interview afterwards. He was extremely harsh with himself saying he didn't play good at any stage of the game. Tough to watch.

fabelhaft

I guess Hammer expected Bb8 and then Kc6 would have been the only move to get a draw, after Ke7 he somehow must have played Kc6 automatically anyway.

ProphetoftheLord

Totally unexplainable...extreme fatigue ?? I don't think so. Even Sherlock Holmes could not explain Kc6.I don't know if I have ever seen such a move from a GM since Spaskky blundered leaving Fischer with a double mate threat. But THIS position was so simplified that one can only guess what Hammer was thinking when moving the king where he moved it.Maybe Fabelhaft is on to something...!??

samoTomas

He explained it by saying he wasn't paying attention. He was expecting Bb8 and just played his move fast. A horrible way to lose, but he can only blame himself (which he did a bit too much).

fabelhaft

Good at least that it was Topalov and not Carlsen he lost to like this, otherwise every chess troll on the Internet would declare that Hammer threw the game.

Andre_Harding
fabelhaft wrote:

Good at least that it was Topalov and not Carlsen he lost to like this, otherwise every chess troll on the Internet would declare that Hammer threw the game.

Ironically it was Topalov who had to deal with such questions in the past when he would defeat Cheparinov in the M-Tel tournaments. I have also seen such accusations against Chinese female players when facing Hou Yifan or Ju Wenjun.

Chess_Events

Thank you for your comments. Yes, there will be a thread for EVERY single round we relay.