Forums

tournament preperation

Sort:
amri97

hello, tomorow i am participating in my first fide-rated tournament. its a blitz tournament. how should i prepare for this event? 

thanks in advance.

Casual_Joe

If the tournament is tomorrow, I think you're past the preparation phase.  Just get a good night's sleep and make sure to bring everything you need (including snacks).  Make sure you know how to get there, and plan on arriving early.

Casual_Joe

Oh yeah, and good luck!

AlcherTheMovie

Yes, sleep tight and well. The last OTB tourney that I had, I sleept pretty late. The effect was I felt so dizzy and uncomfortable. You don't want that, I guarantee you.

I also get caffeine shot from a cup of coffee or a bottle of energy drink. It worked just fine for me, you might want to try that out.

amri97

thanks for the responses

amri97
Casual_Joe wrote:

If the tournament is tomorrow, I think you're past the preparation phase.  Just get a good night's sleep and make sure to bring everything you need (including snacks).  Make sure you know how to get there, and plan on arriving early.

you said i was past the preperation phase,,  what could i have done earlier then?

Casual_Joe
amri97 wrote:
Casual_Joe wrote:

you said i was past the preperation phase,,  what could i have done earlier then?

Well, if the tournament was a few months away, I'd suggest deciding which openings you'll use as White/Black, and make sure you're very familiar with the ideas and tactics of the main lines.  I'd also suggest playing a bunch of games at the same time control as the tournament games so you're used to that time control.

AlcherTheMovie

I guess he means that if you're gonna prepare for a tournament, you should not do that the night before. 

amri97

i see, thanks all