Forums

Zukertort Tourneys 1250 and below 1251 and higher

Sort:
JollyPlayer

http://www.chess.com/tournament/jjs-zuke-em-under-1250

http://www.chess.com/tournament/jjs-zuke-em-1251-and-over

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From Wikipedia:

The Zukertort Opening is a chess opening defined by the move 1. Nf3. Sometimes the term "Réti Opening" is used to describe the opening move 1.Nf3,[1] although most sources define the Réti more narrowly as the sequence 1.Nf3 d5 2.c4.[2] According to databases likeChessgames.com,[3] ChessBase[4] and 365Chess,[5] it is the third most popular of the twenty legal opening moves White has, behind only 1.e4 and 1.d4.

The move has been described by Edmar Mednis as a "perfect and flexible opening". The game can transpose into a large number of other openings which usually start with 1.e4, 1.d4, or 1.c4. In a majority of games, 1.Nf3 simply disappears into another opening. If Black is not careful, there is the risk of running unprepared into a highly theoretical opening, e.g. after 1.Nf3 c5 White can play 2.e4 leading to the mainlineSicilian Defense. Other common transpositions are to various lines of the Queen's Gambit Declined (after e.g. 1.Nf3 d5 2.d4 Nf6 3.c4) or theCatalan Opening (after e.g. 1.Nf3 Nf6 2.g3 d5 3.Bg2 e6 4.0-0 Be7 5.c4).[6]

The main independent lines which usually start with 1.Nf3 are the Réti Opening (1.Nf3 d5 2.c4) and the King's Indian Attack (where White plays 1.Nf3, 2.g3, 3.Bg2, 4.0-0, and 5.d3, though not always in that order). By playing 1.Nf3 White has prevented Black from playing 1...e5, and many players who want to play theEnglish Opening but avoid the reversed Sicilian lines beginning with 1.c4 e5 opt to start the game with 1.Nf3 instead.[6]

In order of popularity, the most common replies to 1.Nf3 are:[3]

1. 1...Nf6
  2. 1...d5
  3. 1...c5
  4. 1...g6
  5. 1...f5
  6. 1...d6
-----------------------------------------------
This is a tournament based on the Zukertort Opening.  Lots of people cleverly called it "Zuke-Em."  This format was picked by MRScheckmate.
We will have two divisions.  One under 1250 and one 1251 and above.  This will be a one-day time control tourney.  No vacations.  
Remember, beyond competition, the goal of these tourneys is to learn about openings so that being a member on the two groups ("grand masters" and "friends") we can get better.  These tournaments will be open to all of Chess.com
I cannot enter you into a tournament.  I can remove you.  So if you are on the border of the 1250, please watch closely.  I will try and send you a message if you are in the wrong group.  It is always safe to enter the higher rated group.
Have fun.  I will post websites and videos that will help players.  
Jim - TD
Apachimous

Good luck with the tournaments!