Anand Draws, Secures Rematch With Carlsen for World Championship

• FM MikeKlein
  • on 3/29/14, 8:13 AM.

GM Viswanathan Anand held a worse ending against GM Sergey Karjakin in round 13 of the FIDE Candidates' Tournament, clinching first place with a round to spare. He is the only player with a plus score. Second-place GM Levon Aronian lost against the Trompowsky to bottom-seed GM Dmitry Andreikin, meaning no one is within a margin to overtake Anand. In the other games, GMs Peter Svidler and Shakhriyar Mamedyarov drew. In a battle of two former World Champions, GM Vladimir Kramnik won by taking advantage of Veselin Topalov's endgame error.

Photos © Vadim Lavrenko, Kirill Merkuryev & Anastasiya Karlovich courtesy of the official website

Full report by Peter Doggers:

For reasons both annoying & funny (I actually got locked out of my house for a couple of hours in the middle of the night!) this full report appeared much later than I (and surely you) would have liked. Apologies for that!

On Saturday the chess world saw one of the most remarkable comebacks in chess ever: 19 years after he qualified for his first world title match, at the age of 25 against Garry Kasparov, Vishy Anand, now 44, qualified for his sixth match, which will be his second with Magnus Carlsen. To win that one would complete it, but taking into account Anand's bad form in the past few years, it's fair to speak of a comeback!

Anand clinched the tournament being armed with something he had lacked in recent years: confidence. Starting with a win against the player he had the most problems with, Levon Aronian, was a great start and then he played a very good game against Shakhriyar Mamemedyarov, which must have given him the positive emotions he needed to return to the form he showed in e.g. Mexico 2007.

Right after finishing his game with Karjakin, the relief and happiness could easily be read from Anand's face.

And it's a well-deserved victory. The standings table shows a remarkable situation after thirteen rounds: five players are on 50%, and two have a minus score. Only Anand is doing well, with a plus three score. He is the only player who hasn't lost - in fact all other players have lost at least two games. It's been a very hard-fought tournament, and only one player was stable and strong.

Magnus Carlsen, who joined Peter Heine Nielsen for the live commentary on the tournament website, said about Anand: “I think he's played very well. He hasn't made many mistakes. He's been rock solid in the openings and played consistently.”

Anand himself said: “Today... it was funny. For the whole tournament I was only watching Levon, because he was the closest, but then a few days ago I realised that both Sergey and Peter have this possibility: to beat me, win another game, and tiebreak. Then I realised that even with a one-point lead the last two rounds were going to be very, very difficult. This is what happened today.”

I was very happy and very pleasantly surprised with how I played and with my results. Before the tournament I didn't know what to expect but it went ridiculously well.

The game with Karjakin was quite a tense one in fact. With a irregular setpup Karjakin managed to get some advantage and then an extra pawn. Anand decided to liquidate to an ending with BNN vs RN with four pawns each on the kingside, which he eventually managed to hold.

“Today was a bit close. It was the one day that I was a bit shaky.”

At the press conference one of the journalists asked Anand about his decision to play the tournament. (After the Chennai match he had expressed his doubts, but later he signed up anyway.) Anand revealed that Kramnik had played an important role in his decision:

I wanted to feel good about playing; I didn't want to just turn up automatically. I hesitated; I wanted some time. So how did it go... Well Kramnik, in London, he had one of the most ridiculous games of all time against Hikaru [Nakamura], which he lost, and the, though he had beaten me the previous day, I thought OK, after this game I have to cheer him up a bit. So I called him and said: do you want to go for dinner? We agreed to go for dinner and so... anyway the plan was for me to cheer him up, but in the end he started to cheer me up. He started to [ask] well why don't you play, and so on. He wasn't the only reason I played but he was persuasive!”

To the question “Are you tired of playing World Championship matches?” Anand had a clear answer: “No!”

A few reactions on Twitter:

The draw between Peter Svidler and Shakhriyar Mamedyarov was actually the first game to finish in the penultimate round. In a 6.Ne3 Ng4 Najdorf, it seemed that Svidler was bit better prepared (“I forgot my analysis.” - Mamedyarov), but as soon as the game reached an ending he wasn't exactly sure how to continue.  The players reached a rook ending where White was slightly better, but Mamedyarov played accurately enough to hold it.

On paper Levon Aronian was the slight favorite to win, but he couldn't live up to the expectations, losing his third game in round 13 to Dmitry Andreikin. His reaction to Andreikin's opening surprise (the Trompovsky!) wasn't too impressive for commentator Carlsen: “There are many ways of equalising against the Trompowsky, but this isn’t one of them.”

But it wasn't that bad - at the early stages of the ending Aronian could still have equalized, and even in the rook ending he could have been more tenacious. Only after a mistake on move 33 it was clear that Black was going to lose.

Aronian didn't really have a good explanation for his disappointing result: “I don’t really feel tired. It’s hard to say. This time I feel much better than in London, but for some reason the level of my play is more or less equal, the same.”

Andreikin was obviously happy: “No, I'm ready to play. Of course I want to go home very much to see the baby, but if there would be a tournament like this in one month, I would play with pleasure.”

The round also saw the second controversial encounter between Vladimir Kramnik and Veselin Topalov. Between all the tweets about the Karjakin-Anand game, there was one about this game:

The game was quite an interesting fight, but not without mistakes. In the end Kramnik managed to take revenge for his loss against this opponent in the first half of the tournament.

During his commentary, Carlsen gave some comments about Kramnik. Whereas the World Champion was somewhat critical about recent comments, he was very positive about the young Kramnik: “I've been reading up on Kramnik's My Life and Games. I have to say I'm impressed. He's still a great player, but the player he was when he was young was really, really impressive.”

About Kramnik's comment that players are not blundering against him like they do against Carlsen, the Norwegian commented: “Maybe he doesn't make enough of an effort to find ideas even in very simplified positions. If you don't make that effort then people are not going to crack under the pressure to make mistakes.”

FIDE Candidates’ 2014 | Pairings & Results

3 Andreikin,Dmitry 2709 2778 ½½ ½½ ½½ ½1 1 6.5/13 42.50
4 Karjakin,Sergey 2766 2766 ½½ 01 ½½ 0 ½½ ½1 ½½ 6.5/13 42.00
5 Aronian,Levon 2830 2762 ½½ ½0 1 10 ½½ 6.5/13 41.25
6 Mamedyarov,Shakhriyar 2757 2771 0 ½½ 01 ½½ 6.5/13 41.25
7 Svidler,Peter 2758 2746 ½ ½1 ½0 10 6.0/13
8 Topalov,Veselin 2785 2719 ½0 10 0 ½½ ½½ ½½ 01 5.5/13

The 2014 FIDE Candidates’ Tournament is an 8-player double round robin with 4 rest days. The dates are March 13th-31st, 2014. Each day the rounds start at 15:00 local time which is 10:00 CET, 04:00 EST and 01:00 PST. The winner (Anand) will have the right to challenge World Champion Magnus Carlsen of Norway in a world title match which is scheduled to take place in November 2014. | Games thanks to TWIC

10 votes

Comments

Chess_Prophylaxis

@I_Am_Second You can stop trolling any time now.  Your last comment made no sense.  I didn't judge his view at all.  I just explained my point and asked him not to judge mine.  You confused?  Maybe a kid, or adult of lower-than-average intelligence?  I guess your comment speaks for itself.  Great job at your epic fail of a post.

I_Am_Second

"That is my belief.  You choose your own path, but do not judge mine."

Pot this is the kettle...kettle this is the pot.

Chess_Prophylaxis

@parakotaabhanjaka (and @tweety123) Karma doesn't work that way?  Maybe I need to explain and teach you what karma actually means.  You are the second Indian to argue something you apparently think you know, but in fact do not.

Firstly, bad intent and bad deeds contributes to bad karma  (visa versa for good) and secondly, directly to the principle of causality leading to a negative future for the person involved in those misdeeds, yes?  Well, I think Anand losing horribly in the next WCC is the perfect karma (negative future) for those Indian commenters who throw around the negativity at all of us other commenters trying to enjoy the forum.  I think you are the one who doesn't understand karma and its full effect depedning on your beliefs.  I am not Hindu, Jain or Buddhist, but I am correct in pointing out that karma is a theoretical concept with multiple accepted definitions depending on who you are, where you are from, how you were raised, etc.  Who are you to define karma?  It can be either direct, or indirect, and ethical or non-ethical in nature.  I don't define karma.  I let it encompass everything.  That is my belief.  You choose your own path, but do not judge mine.

Can't wait to see Anand get obliterated.  We can argue about karma after that happens.  Notice I didn't say "if".  It will happen.

I_Am_Second

"The arrogant, hateful and ugly racist posts made by numerous Indian people should be punished fully"

So glad to see youre taking the highroad on this <eye roll>

parakotaabhanjaka

@ chess prhyaxis ": dont judge the whole of the  Indian People on the basis of one or two people when we are a country of 1.6 billion..In india each and every region has very different type of people and you views on karma are not correct it does not work that way...Peace outCool

I_Am_Second

Aronian reminds me of Nakamura, really good players that everyone thinks will be the next challenger/champ, but thhey never live up to the hype.

mattisks

Aronian was clearly out of form here...

mattisks

we are just dissapointed to see same thing happen again. Say Karjakin Anand. If that position be played by Magnus, Anand would be toast and will be!!!!

Prakashkv

Indians should stop reacting to any type of negative talk of Anand. They are only making fools of themselves and giving ammunition to Anand dislikers. Just enjoy the win of Anand and look forward to his future triumphs.

Marcokim

Anand clearly played the best chess, maybe could have chalked up anopther win from some of his draws against Andreikin and Svidler (I think)... but an in-form Anand is clearly the second best player in the world no doubt.

As for those talking about blunders, Aronian made mistakes (not blunders) and was clearly outplayed by Anand in their first game. Kramnik did blunder once. But it was Anand who conquered the field in a solid style.

in_prasad

@sharmapawan

R u ok ? What are you talking man ?

SharmaPawan

Those who praise Carlsen and hate Anand are son of bitches too

SharmaPawan

Carlsen is son of a bitch

cheese714

A very big Congratulations to you Viswanathan Anand on winning!!!

Enthusiast14

No more quarrel.Actually Anand bit clever making draws than attempting to prove himself by winning, which other GM's don't care.I really enjoyed this tournament, thanks for enjoyment is all.

albatrosses

Definitely not you tweety bird. Why do you have to resort to personal attacks? Just state your case and allegiance to Anand. You are disrespectful to women. I know you don't represent Indian values.

tweety123

albatrosses

"We've had enough of his losses to Carlsen".

So who else is going to challenge Carlsen? You? Your grandma? Chokronian who lost his fourth game today? Fakka Naka, who didnt even qualify for the candidates?  How are they going to fare? Better than the guy who stays undefeated against a field of current best players?

tweety123

@Chess_Prophylaxis

"As much as I respect Anand as a player and person, I hope he gets utterly destroyed so bad that he has to make an appology to the whole chess world for his crappy play"

Very civilized and classy, good going, keep it up.

And by the way, dont talk about karma, you dont know sht about it.

Crawl back to your trailer, and stay there.

albatrosses

Most people don't hate Anand. He was a good champion but this is Carlsen's decade of brilliance. After losing to Carlsen again in the repeat match, Anand should retire gracefully. We've had enough of his losses to Carlsen.

Frendu

@chessprophylix

No anand fan (including me) is spitting venom against magnus carlsen.nobody is saying that he is spoilt brat and he doesn't know how to give respect to fellow players ....but on the other hand anand haters want anand to retire.they want him to apologise for winning candid.....