Candidates’ R6: Topalov beats Kramnik, Svidler Self-Destructs vs Mamedyarov

• PeterDoggers
  • on 3/19/14, 8:11 AM.

Viswanathan Anand can enjoy another rest day as the tournament leader in Khanty-Mansiysk. In the sixth round of the 2014 FIDE Candidates’ Tournament he drew with Sergey Karjakin in a Berlin Ending, and saw his main rival Levon Aronian fail to convert a winning ending against Dmitry Andreikin. Veselin Topalov defeated Vladimir Kramnik in their first classical game since January 2008. Peter Svidler continued his roller coaster tournament by giving away a better position in just three moves against Shakhriyar Mamedyarov.

Photos © Vadim Lavrenko & Anastasiya Karlovich courtesy of the official website

Whether it was planned or not, fact is that Veselin Topalov and Vladimir Kramnik hadn't played a serious game ever since their famous encounter in 2008 in Wijk aan Zee, where the Bulgarian uncorked the shocking 12.Nxf7!? in the Anti-Moscow variation. Since then, they only met at the board in three Amber tournaments and at the 2009 Zurich jubilee event (also rapid).

In all these games there was no handshake, and unfortunately today it became clear that things haven't changed between the two super grandmasters. At the start of the game Kramnik and Topalov avoided eye contact, and there were two separate press conferences.

Like in 2008, it was Topalov who took the initiative right from the start, and again he won! In a 5.Bf4 Queen's Gambit Declined, the world #4 played the remarkable 8.Be5 which he actually called dubious afterward. “There should be several ways [for Black], but I thought it was interesting for one game. The position is interesting and very deep, maybe for him today it was too deep.”

Somehow Kramnik went astray early on. The 14th World Champion again didn't want to go into detail as to where exactly it had gone wrong for him, but it must have been around move 10 already.

Commenting on the game, Kramnik emphasized his opponent's computer preparation: “I didn't play the opening very well and my opponent had prepared very strongly. I underestimated some things in the preparation. I wouldn't like to say now what exactly. Then I wanted to deviate from some sharp lines which were obviously analyzed by my opponent. I wanted to get some play and not lose against some computer analysis. On the other hand my position was very unpleasant and my opponent played the first line of the computer the whole game so I think I didn't really have chances. Of course I tried to keep in the game and tried my best, but still the position was very unplesant. It happens. Maybe I can say that it was not my day.”

Tournament leader Vishy Anand drew his third game in a row. Against Sergey Karjakin he was the first to try out the Berlin Ending in this tournament, but he faced a very well prepared opponent.

Anand played one of the most topical lines with 9.h3 Ke8 10.Nc3 h5 11.Bf4 but Karjakin had not only played this with both colors; he had also spent quite some time on the position that came on the board after 21 moves! Still it was White who was playing for two results, but quite soon Anand couldn't find a way to make progress.

Sticking to his beloved Grünfeld might make him a bit too predictable, and so today Svidler played a new opening: the Leningrad Dutch. For a first outing it went pretty well, mostly because his opponent avoided the main lines. 8.b4 is “not a very good move,” said Mamedyarov, “but I hoped it will be a very interesting game.”

Black was fine after 21...b5 but after White's next move Svidler went “completely brain dead for about twenty minutes,” as he put it himself. As it turned out, both players had missed the move 22...Qd7, which gives Black the advantage. “This means that the whole concept was correct and I just went completely crazy."

His next move was also somewhat weird, but Svidler's 24...h6 was just inexplicable. “There are no words to describe this. I have no idea what this is. I would very much like to unsee this, make me unsee this,” Svidler said. Mamedyarov had no trouble wrapping up the game.

Meanwhile, Levon Aronian had reached a winning position against Dmitry Andreikin and so the world #2 was virtually in shared first place with Vishy Anand.

But that didn't happen: Aronian spoilt it, and had to settle for a draw. “By accident I survived until the endgame,” said Andreikin. There it was Aronian's frustration which prevented him from winning.

And so Anand is still half point ahead of Aronian. Andreikin, who is in last place, said: “I saw all the variations that were shown in the analyses. I have the problem in this tournament that I see everything but I still don't play the best moves.”

Thursday is rest day. On Friday we will see the last round of the first half, with the games Karjakin-Aronian, Svidler-Anand, Kramnik-Mamedyarov and Andreikin-Topalov.

For more tweets, don't miss Eric van Reem's Chess in Tweets!

FIDE Candidates’ 2014 | Pairings & Results

3 Topalov, V 2785 2778 ½ ½ 1 0 ½ ½ 3 9.5
4 Kramnik, V 2787 2770 ½ ½ 0 ½ 1 ½ 3 8.75
5 Svidler, P 2758 2772 0 1 ½ 0 ½ 1 3 7.75
6 Mamedyarov, S 2757 2770 0 0 ½ 1 ½ 1 3 7.75
7 Karjakin, S 2766 2703 ½ ½ 0 ½ ½ ½ 2.5 7.5
8 Andreikin, D 2709 2658 ½ ½ ½ 0 0 ½ 2 6.5

The 2014 FIDE Candidates’ Tournament is an 8-player double round robin with 4 rest days. The dates are March 13th-31st, 2014. Each day the rounds start at 15:00 local time which is 10:00 CET, 04:00 EST and 01:00 PST. The winner will have the right to challenge World Champion Magnus Carlsen of Norway in a world title match which is scheduled to take place in November 2014.

3 votes

Comments

bigbikefan

Topalov & Kramnik: poor sportsmanship, no matter how well they play chess. Shame on both!

novzki41

Topalov should win this tournament.

crazyim5

@melvinbluestone Very interesting anology to athletics. One could also counter argue that soccer is more popular simply because there isn't a humanoid robot that will score every minute!

CHESSQOSQO

A good science.

maistor_tri4ko

The computer is just a tool for learning chess. It cood be like learning from a book or a better player. You cannot blame someone for using it to understand more deeply one position and not just copying the moves from the restroom.

IndianHarry

I am quite surprised by Kramnik comments after he lost the game against Topalov. Everyone using computers nowadays even he himself use it. If he admits that he was outclassed or out prepared by Topalov it will be nice, then it's a good sportsmanship. Surprise ur opponent is the only way to win in that level. In the mean time I can see only Anand's win against Aronian is the pure technical and masterpiece of all the games which played so far in this candidates game.

CaptainDundas

10 of the 24 games with a decisive result. That's 42%!  A high number for an event of this caliber, which makes it exciting for the fans.

parakotaabhanjaka

Anand needs to win not draw games as World number 2 Aronian is catching up fast .........by the way 15:00  in MSK is what gmt???

melvinbluestone

'Wicked_Soul' wrote

We've seen another example of how computers have ruined classical chess (see Kramnik's comments). Without some changes (Fischer random, perhaps), chess will simply fade away as a favorite game.

I understand the sentiment here, but actually, it may be just the opposite. This is quite an entertaining tournament so far, with the human element a key factor. Mistakes made by some of the players, like Aronian and Svidler, are providing the 'human drama', which makes it most interesting. If eight computers were playing each other, spectators would probably be bored to death by a string of endless draws. Automobiles move a lot faster than people, but we still want to see people race each other......

Anyway, Svidler is to be commended for his novelty, the terrific term 'unsee'! I wish I could 'unsee' most of my games Wink

eatherquake4

Did kramnik and topalov shook hands when kramnik resigned? Anyone knows?

BigChessEnthusiast

Tense battle of old rivals,Topalov vs Kramnik: http://goo.gl/6H4Pjt

Aronian vs Andreikin: http://goo.gl/MyZ3yh

LeeCooper78

I'll stick with my opinion that Kramnik and Topalov should behave in a different fashion when playing each other.

As the late Svetozar Gligoric would say: "I don't play against my oponent, I play against the pieces."

MindfulMagician

Kramnik is indeed a sore loser, full of excuses. Don't think he has a chance against Magnus. Aronian is great, but can't hanlde the tension.  Magnus does not have much to worry about in this cycle.

maistor_tri4ko

kramnik is such a sore loser

GeniusKJ

Svidler is this year's Ivanchuk!

forrie

Topalov is making a real comeback. Ithought he would be permanently out of the top the past few years.

But I hope Aronian wins the tournament.

This is a tough tournament and Magnus was even lucky to win the previous candidates.

Sahasrara

Aronian and Kramnik have the best chances at cracking Carlsen it seems, judging from their recent performances.

thunderwood

With the displayed inconsistency of most players, I think Anand will draw the rest of his game and still winning the tourney.

bigbikefan

I bet, Topalov didn't shake Kramnik's hand nor offerred to shake his...

smscities

Anand is playing solid and drawish lines now, seems his plan is to play safe with draws, and in later rounds pasively beat the ones who will desperately need to win the game instead of drawing. This technique works obviously well in the candidates where everyones aim is to become first and just going down from 3rd to 4th or 5th does not matter much.