Carlsen Beats Kramnik In London

• SonofPearl
  • on 12/8/09, 2:12 PM.

So at last London gets a grandmaster chess tournament worthy of a great city.  The London Chess Classic got underway today and the drawing of lots brought together the two tournament favourites, Magnus Carlsen and Vladimir Kramnik in the first round.

Carlsen (pictured) had the advantage of the white pieces and did not disappoint his fans.  Appropriately enough, given the venue, he ventured the English opening.  A few slight inaccuracies from Kramnik as the first time control drew near were enough to cost him the game.

Hikaru Nakamura searched in vain for a win in a rook ending against Nia Hua, but Chinese champion held on for a draw. David Howell versus Michael Adams was a well balanced draw, but spectators certainly got their money's worth with the final game to finish.  Luke McShane ground down Nigel Short in an astonishing marathon lasting 163 moves and nearly eight hours!

6 votes

Comments

P_U_N

McShane- Short Analysis - According to this McShane really took hold around move 95 or so...But blundered getting the queen on move 163 or so...LOL..Special Thanks  to Anatoly for playing this out...it was exhausting, but my reading of notation has improved.

Ergenekon

english opening..

DJHeilke

Carlsen v Kramnick:  without looking at the deep shredder analysis, it immediately struck me what a stinky move Kramnick made with 40. ... Nb3.  and DS confirms it with the position going from +2.02 -> +4.63.  I can only assume that Kramnick was in time trouble, as tactically, this move is walking into the lions maw.

Carlsen had the better position, and probably would have won anyway, but this move gave it away....

McShane v Short illustrates exactly what is wrong with "sofia" rules.  The players should have been allowed to agree to a draw, at least after move 40.

Pete16

Well done, McShane.  It takes a lot of stamina to keep that going for so long.  Nice!

BigAlex

"Mozart was the Carlsen of music."

RobKing

Carlsen wins again! Amazing game vs McShane. Carlsen was up the exchange and a pawn and sacrificed them both back for a wild initiative! When it was all said and done, the resulting endgame for Carlsen was a pawn up and Black's pieces were paralyzed. He converted it very nicely.

tanmay_chakrabarti

Very good reporting indeed.

coolboi7

this is great to read about and to actually view their games is incredible!!

jimthemagic

I feel privileged to be able to follow such great events on Chess.com. I think Magnus Carlsen is going to have another fantastic tournament in London. Thank you SonofPearl for following and informing us about these!

JG27Pyth

That has to have a been a draining game for both McShane and Short, but particularly for Short. No one wants to work that hard and lose... and in the first game. I hope he rallies.

TomMac19

i would just like to say that the coverage is amazing! With being able to watch the games as they happen AND be advised about the moves and what is going on etc is very helpfull...and for free is brilliant!

Ive got my ticket for tomorrow, cant wait to go!

jlueke

Deep Shredder Analysis of Carlsen-Kramnik for those who care about such things

P_U_N

will someone play the short - mcshane game with me unrated?  I want to get my money's worth out of the computer analysis...

staggerlee

I don't understand the McShane v Short game.  It looks like a lot of repetition but no one claimed a draw and it just went on and on.  I didn't look too closely so maybe there never was a true 3 fold repetition but gosh what a tedious game.  I don't understand what was going on there.

seagull1756

this is a very Short game by McShane, I'd even say, a miniature....

philidor_position

Helipacter, when you get stronger, you'll understand that's not how it works, objectively hopeless positions may not be hopeless in practice at your level, but at higher levels, they are. Smile

Kramnik and Carlsen could play the ending position 1000 times and in all of them Carlsen would win.

Helipacter

I think that there will be plenty of long games in this tournament, as the scoring is 3 points for a win and 1 for a draw.

Why should a player resign a losing position (ie. not yet lost) when playing on could net him a draw and a point (providing his opponent blunders of course)? If I were a GM in these conditions I'd sit there until I was a move or two away from being mated before even thinking about resigning.

oooooooooooooooooops

I think David Pruess should make a video analysing the McShane, Luke vs. Short, Nigel game move by move.

mikhairu

The opening seems to be some variation of the English Opening.

soothsayer8

What is the name of the opening in the Carlsen vs. Kramnik game?