Fritz 12 Released in October

• SonofPearl
  • on 9/16/09, 11:07 AM.

Fans of Chessbase software will no doubt be pleased to hear that the release of the latest version of their flagship playing program Fritz, is due in October.

So what is new in Fritz 12?  Well, the menu layout has been completely re-designed for a start.  Anyone familiar with the Microsoft Office 2007 "Fluent User Interface" (better known as the "ribbon"), will know what to expect.

The program itself is faster and stronger than ever before, and includes a new opening book and 12 hours of video tutorials from leading GMs.

Some existing features, like the "spy" function, rated games, and analysis have been improved, while new features have also been introduced such as:

• a dial display which rates how "hot" (i.e. sharp) the position is..
  • a special "Mate-O-Meter" which is...well, I've no idea, but it sounds pretty cool! Cool

Popular online chess shops around the world, including Wholesale Chess and ChessCentral in the US, have started accepting pre-orders for Fritz 12, which should be ready for shipping in the week of 12 October.

If you've never owned any chess software before, now could be a great time to start - before Fritz gets to unlucky number 13!

UPDATE: Video now added Cool

4 votes
more Misc

Comments

kencoach

[COMMENT DELETED]

proKnight98

Thanks!

SonofPearl

@ proKnight98 - yes, it analyses the best move in a position. It will even analyse a whole game for you.  You can store thousands of games - I'm not sure what the limit is, but it's huge.

Fritz 12 is still the most recvent version. Smile

proKnight98

Does Fritz 12 give you analysis of the best move in each position? Can you store games in the software? If so, up to how many?

I'm thinking of buying it. Is there a Fritz 13 now?

Sameero

That is very interesting!

SonofPearl

@ chessmountain - I don't think so.

chessmountain

Hi!Can i have two username for playchess.com,and only have one Fritz 12 purchased?

pkp901

[COMMENT DELETED]

SonofPearl

@chessmountain - as far as I know, that's not a problem.  I have installed previous versions of Fritz (and other Chessbase products) on more than one machine without any issues.

chessmountain

Can i install to my desktop and  to my Lenovo Netbook,w/out problem regarding the originality of the said software.I intend to play a lot,on a free membership included at Fritz 12(playchess.com.) and also watch free analys by diff. grandmaster.I will use my netbook when i'm the field,and my desktop when i'm at home.They might declare,one of the computer has a pirated software.If that happen,I will install the said software to my Lenovo.Thanks in advance.

SonofPearl

Video now added! Cool

chessmountain

I would like to ask,if Fritz 12 is compatible to my computer.I have a Lenovo Netbook,Atom N270,1.66ghz,160G hardisk,1G ram.I do have external DVD Drive.Thanks in advance.

Jukes

Is it stronger than Rybka 2

hentener

Money mouthFritz11 is a good program.From fritz gm challege which only had fritz 7 as its engine but had either a fritz 8 or 9 combo of a gui it along with fritz 9 an 10 an 11 whats best about the line is that it a very good stable base gui to add all the great free chess engines which are out for free to download.I find when i reload my fritz line from gm challenge fritz up it auto upgrades the data base on the older friz programs.Also if you first download Fritz 5.32 then reload your other fritzs fritz 5.32 will add the fitz engine packages  for instance i now have fritz 9 an 7 an 6 an 6light along with the comet an crafty engines on fritz 5.32 only way i know of to add engines to Fritz 5.32 which i use the good free rybka turk blitz opening book.However 5.32 will not auto load the newer fritz data bases so i have several free data bases on fritz 5.32 which add up to over a 118000 games an counting.Thats whats good about the older fitzs they will auto transfers data bases an engines to the older programs.However someone at fritz changed it as of fritz 11 now it still will add its database to the older fritzs but not the fritz 11 engine package.Also the free demo ver of chessbase light 2009 is good worst handicap of the demo is iy limits databases to about 32000 game amout however i have  loaded about 23 smaller free databases to it which total about 250000 games,I had had forgot how chessbase fritz puts out the very good chessbase light 2009 for free.Thats good for all the out of work or poor chessplayers as rybka also puts out the entire rybka uci engine package up thru 2.3a single 32bit cpu along with a good free demo of rybka aquarium which by the way i found you can load more engines to the free demo.Ok both put out good free stuff an i will have to buy fritz 12 this holiday season an as soon as rybka 4 comes out i will buy it also.I only spend my money on chess firms who show love back to the poor chessplayers in the world by puting out free stuff.Also its almost shocking how much good free stuff is out for free.Someone has to pay the bills so i only spend my yearly chess program budget of about 200 dollars on chess firms like fritz an rybka which show love back to chessplayers by releasing for free good programs.Thats why some programs iwould never buy even if its best in the world.

ChessintheCity

ChessCentral  just put up a preview by Steve Lopez (the ChessBase Columnist) on Fritz 12. It tells all about the what the new features will do.

They even have a couple of really cool bonuses, including Steve Lopez' Guide to Computer Chess free to help you understand how to use the new Fritz 12 program to best advantage.

The price: $59.95 with a free Guide ($24.95 value) if you pre-order.

Fritz 12 preview

WGM Natalia_Pogonina

It will still be weaker than Rybka, I guess...

hazeleyes

ChessmasterX does the job very well for me.As I am not a master and,there are few glitches in ChessmasterX I wont upgrade until I need to upgrade my computer.

CPawn

Fritz 5.32 free...does everything i need it to do.

hentener

Money mouthI have Fritz5.32 by the way its free now to download,also have fitz 7 ,the  fritz gm challenge,fitz 9,fritz 11. All are good programs,however i find the spy in sky io be a waste of program space.Best thing i ;like is using the gui to load  some of the very good free uci chess engines.I have Rybka 2.3 which you can find free at zarkon fisher free chess programs web site on fritz 9 hows that for a cheap  upgrade.BY the way if you play around 2000 level chess i like to play Comet b 68 on arena2.0 using arena little book as a computer program which plays good strong chess no out right blunders but will not blow a 2000 level player off the board.I will buy fritz 12 in time as people always think they need Rybka  but as all rybka up thru  rybka 2.3 are free just add tem to your fritz program.However  i will spend my chess money this year on rybka as they put out more free stuff an should be paid back some by me as they gave for free all rybka chess engine from rybka 1.0 thru rybka2.3 now the fritz 5.32 is a good free program but its time for fritz to put out say for free fritz 9 then iwill show them some cash love.i always think of the poor chess players thru out the world who depend on the free stuff.By the way cometb68 an arena are also free.

Ian_Sinclair

Thank you! Interesting to know.