I am the champion of the Kosmos!

• FM FM_Eric_Schiller
  • on 8/23/09, 11:09 PM.

I come to chess.com for chess, not politics. I am a political activist, but I confine my political activities to the streets and to the huge progressive blog dailyKos. So it was somewhat surprising what I found that the blog was going to hold its own chess championship. Not only that, but many of the games were scheduled to take place at my favorite chess site.

I was also attracted to the event because I he knew some of the players behind the handles and have great respect for them. I figured it would all come down to the last few rounds and I was right. I managed to win all my games except for one draw with Psifighter37, a former national Scholastic champion I know very well. In that game I have the black pieces and chose a safe and solid approach.

I treated all the games seriously and used my first line openings. The time limit of 30 minutes per player per game suits me well in my advancing age. I can't keep up with the youngsters when it comes to speed chess.

Some of the games prove to be interesting. I have chosen three of them for presentation, two of them with notes and one which just followed the pterodactyl strategy to perfection and needs no explanation.

I have won state titles in Illinois, Hawaii, and California but being master of the Kosmos gives a special pleasure. Of course it doesn't prove that my political ideas are correct, but it also shows that at least my mind is at a level above the birthers and deathers. by the way, I did spend a good part of the day at Representative Jackie Speier's town Hall on health care.

One Vote

Great games.Thanks for posting Eric

Kosmos is too small for you. Great article.

I never resign when it's 'mate in eight' because I never see it.

Congrats, Eric and thanks for sharing!

you re a good player!!!

Interesting, I didn't realize that "birthers and deathers", as they've been labeled, were regular readers of liberal blogs such as the Daily Kos... Guess I learned something new today. Wink

I enjoyed the games - well played, indeed. Thanks for sharing them!

Great games... Thanks so much....

But I have a secret... There really are no politics out on the streets any more.... Union Square in San Francisco isn't the real world, and politics there are controlled by Silicon Valley....

And one person's progressive politics is another person's fascism...

But your games are great, and again, thanks for sharing....

congrats on your wins good job

the third game was a bkt intresting giving up the black bishop weaking your dark squares but u out played him and won

the attack is very strong for people who play the colle system there is a way to stop it but that guy played the opening wrong

Very well done. Of course, we never met :^)

haha, yeah:) I had smile on my face, all the way. Very entertaining.

good games. congrats!

congrats on your win. all games were indeed impressive!