Magnus Carlsen on the Time 100 List

• SonofPearl
  • on 4/18/13, 8:26 AM.

Magnus Carlsen has been named by TIME Magazine on their 2013 list as one of the "100 Most Influential People" in the world.  The full list includes such diverse names as Barack Obama, Kim Jong Un, Steven Spielberg, Justin Timberlake, Marissa Mayer and Lebron James.

One of 7 special covers for Time Magazine's 2013 list

phpTzcv1C.jpeg

Magnus Carlsen professed himself to be "surprised and deeply honoured" in the Norwegian newspaper Verdens Gang, adding, ""Inclusion in 2013 TIME 100 is a recognition of chess, and I hope this will further strengthen the position and development of chess worldwide."

Former world chess champion Garry Kasparov writing in the magazine said, "...his intuitive style conserves the mystique of chess at a time when every CPU-enhanced fan thinks the game is easy. Carlsen is as charismatic and independent as he is talented. If he can rekindle the world’s fascination with the royal game, we will soon be living in the Carlsen Era".

Magnus Carlsen on the London Eye last year (photo: Ray Morris-Hill)

phpsSqDde.jpeg

5 votes
more Misc

Comments

condude2

@Aaronsky The only thing I have to say is: What???  I hope that you are joking. Firstly, the global warming theory is a well supported fact. To argue against it is ridiculous. The same goes for the completely unsubstantiated claims that 9/11 was a controlled explosion. There was no debris from an explosive found in the wreckage. I'm fine with people being against TIME magazine, I personally don't really have an opinion for or against TIME, but until anyone has a valid point to the contrary, innocent until proven guilty :)

TKACHS

Although Time lies, chess keeps ringing true.

TKACHS

How TIME (f)lies:  Bring back the good old days while Claire Booth Luce was in bed with Chiang Kai Shek, and Madame Soong, yet better not to reveal the real money trail of influence back in those stealthy TIMES.

Aaronsky72

NimzoRoy, unfortunately Archmage81 is correct.

The globalists or 'Illuminati' have a history of recruiting the top minds of the age into their ranks.
    Evidence of Carlsen being selected is the fact that he was wined and dined by none other than George Soros a key member of the globalist elite engaged in a complete world takeover via staged war on terror to grab resources worldwide, the obviously fake man made global warming movement and the associated Carbon trading scam, and also Ken Rogoff.

Rogoff served as an economist at the International Monetary Fund (IMF), and at the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System. The federal reserve and their fiat manipulations, theft of trillions from the populations and takeover of nations via engineered debt are a key part of the globalist world takeover.

Time magazine has a history of being a mouthpiece for globalist propaganda from pushing the completely debunked man made global warming fraud to demonising and smearing so called 'conspiracy theorists' i.e. anyone who shows proof that 911 was a controlled demolition. Anyone with an IQ over 80 that applies research and critical thinking knows that it is proven via basic Newtonian physics to be a controlled demolition.

So the fact that Magnus is being wooed by the globalists and he appears in Time shows that he is well under the influence of the elite even if it just financial and marketing-based currently.

Not that it really matters, hopefully it won't affect his chess and he can become the greatest ever and a great ambassador for chess, intellectual endeavour and a counterbalance to the dumbing down of world populations (although this too is engineered by the globalists for more population control)

No doubt ad hominem criticisms will follow this post involving words like "conspiracy theorist" "tin foil hat" "nutters" etc but the fact remains, I'm right.

tliu1222

I saw it literally 5 minutes before I saw this. By Garry Kasparov. How is he influential, anyway? I mean, he didn't show humans are better than computers by defeating Deep Blue or anything. So please tell me why.

jesterville

I think any positive publicity is good for chess. I may like Magnus, but no way in hell is he "really" on that list. The chess frat is akin to an atom in the universe....who is he influencing?..what is his influence?...and how is this measured? Clearly, Time is also looking for fresh faces to generate interest in it's mag...along with the usual suspects. It is a subjective PRO exercise in selling a magazine.

_valentin_

I'm glad that they picked the girl on the front cover to be pictured on the cover of the magazine.  From reading a bit about her courageous work (despite her young age), one can't help but get inspired!

The rest of the field looks like it's mostly comprised of famous people being paid tribute by other famous people (who nominated them)...  With the exception of a few great scientists and engineers (Andrew Ng, Daphne Koller), but I know about them because they're in my field of expertise and have become transformative with their work, beyond their own field of endeavor.

The same cannot still be said of Magnus; he hasn't done much outside of chess in his life yet.  Maybe he will some day, like his mentor Garry.

NimzoRoy

@archmage81   I only read Time, Newsweek or US News & World Report at the Dentist or Drs office - and then only if I forgot to bring something better to read, such as Mother Jones, The Hightower Lowdown, The Nation or anything  by Noam Chomsky.  Besides I'm already a godless atheist myself, although I don't consider myself to be a eugenicist (not eugenisist) Well in conclusion I hope all of your perfectly normal beliefs are more accurate and factual than your spelling

drumdaddy

As much as I admire young Mr. Carlsen, I am a much bigger fan of the remarkable young woman on the magazine's cover, Malala Yousafzai! Peace to her and all of her sisters!

condude2

@archmage81 Oh, no! A magazine is expressing its dislike of the fact that billions of people are being threatened with eternal torment if they do do not pay up. Being against this form of blackmail is something that should be looked upon favourably, as opposed to the knee-jerk reaction that you gave.

archmage81

Obviously NimzoRoy you have never read times magazine, but of course everything is a conspiracy theory when you are ignorant; whereas, when your informed and state a fact, it is not a conspiracy theory but a truth.  Just look at times magazine some time and read their articles, or better yet just read their covers.  Time's magazine issues titled, Is God Dead?, along with a title called, What if There's no Hell?

NimzoRoy

I have no respect for time magazine, they are pro eugenics, anti-God, and don't believe in the U.S. constitution.  I find it sad that Magnus Carlsen has become associated with them.  The fact that Garry Kasparov, another eugenisist, wrote the blurb about Magnus Carlsen, is enough to make me sick.  I think it is important that we know who all the eugenisists are in the chess community.  archmage81

It's always entertaining to learn about brand-new forms of paranoia, conspiracy theories and other disconnects from the mundane reality everyone else is stuck in. BTW I'm not a big fan of TIME magazine either but that isn't because of their non-existent "pro-eugenics, anti-god and anti-constitution" beliefs.

FilipinoChess

wtf is pro eugenics? does it mean pro nerds?Smile

archmage81

Lawdoginator

I never even heard of some of the people on that list.

freezypopsicle

2874?

JBades6310

@bolshevikhellraiser did you even read my comment? I said exactly what you said, but I just prefer the word outlier to exception

pastoryoshi

I like Magnus, but outside of chess, i don't know how the world has changed because of him. To me chess is a HUGE portion of my life, but when it comes to finding someone to play with, i have to admit that it is hard to find 1 out of 100 people who even "know how" to play chess, and only half of them know how to set the board up properly, (huh??? did your brook just kill my pond? I thought the K and R just trade places even when the K is in check) Out of the few who do know how to play properly, only half of them even "want" to play and the rest think that "Robby Fisher" still holds the world champion title.(even old Bobby's influence was based on politics more than chess) The truth is that as much as we love chess, we are still an extremely small minority and less than half of one percent of the world's population. So unless Magnus has affected the world "OUTSIDE" of chess. I don't see how he is part of the 100 influential people. In reality, the 100 list is broken up into 5 categories so Time is claiming that he is one of the "20" most influential celebrities in the world. He fills me with joy every time I see his face somewhere. He is certainly the best of us all, but i don't see where he has actually "contributed" anything NEW to chess as a whole. Kasparov was on the 100 list in 2007, but it wasn't because of chess rating, but because he represented the whole of humanity as being able to calculate as much as technology, and because of his effect on politics. Don't misunderstand me; i DO want Magnus to be on the 100 list, i just am looking at it from an anylitical perspective that i don't know WHY he affects people outside of the chess world.

pijao

I know now, the genius exist

I saw him playing chess.

Heresjohnny2

We're talking about a chess player... With all respect: 'being part of the top 100 of most influential people of the world...????'