More Kasparov v Karpov Matches

• SonofPearl
  • on 9/12/09, 12:40 AM.

As previously reported, Garry Kasparov and Anatoly Karpov have agreed to play a rapid/blitz match in Valencia, Spain from 21-24 September. There is now an English language website for the event here.

This year marks the 25th anniversary of their first battle for the world chess championship crown.

It has now emerged that the two greats are hoping to arrange a series of matches in various cities around the world.

There are reports that Paris will be hosting another rapid/blitz match between the legendary pair from 11-13 December, and there may also be others in Moscow and New York (the cities that hosted their original matches).

The matches will raise money for the charity UNICEF.

3 votes

Comments

akapovsky

at what time are they playing and where can I see the games??

SonofPearl

As far as I am aware, there is not going to be any live TV broadcast of the event.  (Definitely not outside of Spain at any rate, and perhaps not there).  If anyone is aware of any planned TV coverage, please let us all know! Smile

HeroofDarkness

@tewodros_yifredew

I agree. Where do you find televised matches. I'd loved to see that stuff live.

tewodros_yifredew

does anybody know where i can get live chess matches? I dont mean only the PGN format but live with the players and stuff. Like this - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e96IovA3WbU&feature=related  .

rfs

one of the greatest rivalry in world chess championship. both legendary.

tewodros_yifredew

hi

thanks

SonofPearl

The games will start at 7pm local time on the 22/23/24 Sept.

SonofPearl

I'm keeping my eyes on the official site.  Broadcasting faster time control games, especially blitz, can be tricky since pieces can get knocked over and if they are using DGT boards, then the software can become confused.

Hopefully, the official site will provide quick news of the games and results, and quick pgn of the games if possible.

Tomis

So... SonofPearl - do you happen to know who will?

SonofPearl

@ akopovsky - we will be reporting on the games, but not broadcasting them live.

akapovsky

At what time is chess.com broadcasting the games,if they do?

tbiddle

Excuse me people, this is going to be a match between Karpov and Kasparov. So, lets try to keep the comments just between them two. But since you guys did mention Fischer, Lasker, Capablanca and all that, let me give you my opinion. First of all, I would assume that Bobby Fischer would have a great chance against Kasparov. I mean, given the chance to use the technology of today, along with his genious for chess, Fischer would make a great competitor for Garry Kasparov. Therefore, a Fischer vs. Kasparov match would turn out to be a challenge for Kasparov, if not fatal.SurprisedLaughing!

wilfredoconducto

Kasparov has a deep analysis and strategy than Karpov!!

iliosis

I do not think Lasker would beat Kasparov because chess has evolved so much more since his time. In addition, even though  Lesker has beaten Capablanca, he also lost to him later on as young Capablanca gained experience. Kasparov memorizes openings deeper than any GM I have ever seen and his calculation depth is stunning to say the least, watch his videos and you will see what I mean. The only shot Karpov has against Kasparov is to use novelty moves, but even then, Kasparov can probably outcalculate Karpov. My money is on Garry.

randine

A difficult prediction! Patient vs agressiveness, attack vs defend : he who knows about timing will win the game. Timing to make a move : to gain an advantage, or, at least, to reduce some losses. But, this game will a good match. Go! And Win.

forrie

Imagine Lasker playing against a supercomputer...

Tomis

demetrios18 - Oranges and apples. If you put right now Kasparov and Lasker at a chess board you know what'll happen? Kaspy would mop the board using Lasker's skeleton.

XessMaxineX

My money on kasparov! Good luck to both though. A great game of chess is about to begin!

Nelu_Jr

None of the players are actually in shape, and for Kasparov it's easy to understand. If I don't look at the table for a month I even forget the most basic openings after the 4th or 5th moves. Since Kasparov has been trying to stop the dictatorship in Russia, he hasn't had time for chess as well, so don't expect top-chess from any of the two.

That might be one other reason why they are playing rapid/blitz.

forrie

with regard to your kasparov/fischer remarks below: chess is a mental game on and off the board, fischer (although brilliant) just couldnt make it. There is no doubt in the historical record that Kasparov is the greatest player ever. Empathy with fischer by the westerners lies only in the fact that he was american (- and he didnt even like america!).