Well-Prepared Gelfand Holds Anand In Game 10

• SonofPearl
  • on 5/24/12, 11:03 AM.

Vishy Anand opted for 1.e4 for his penultimate turn with the white pieces, and Gelfand once again replied with 1...c5.

This time the champion avoided the Sveshnikov by choosing 3.Bb5, but Gelfand proved to be just as well prepared in this variation.  Even when Anand chose the relatively rare continuation 5.b3, Gelfand immediately responded with the even rarer (almost-novelty) 5...e5!

The challenger's pawn structure looked a mess, but his bishop pair proved ample compensation and Anand conceded a draw after only 25 moves.

Chess statisticians may wish to check whether this world championship match has the fewest moves (and lowest average game length) in history!

Name  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Pts
Vishy Anand ½ ½ ½ ½ ½ ½ 0 1 ½ ½ . . 5
Boris Gelfand ½ ½ ½ ½ ½ ½ 1 0 ½ ½ . . 5

.Anand sidesteps the Sveshinikov...

WCC Anand v Gelfand game 10 Vishy Anand.jpg

...but runs into more excellent preparation from Gelfand

WCC Anand v Gelfand game 10 Boris Gelfand.jpg

Alexander Morozevich (centre) and Peter Svidler (right) in the commentary box

WCC Anand v Gelfand game 10 Alexander Morozevich Peter Svidler.jpg

The psychological battle is now at fever pitch. With just 2 standard time-control games left in the match, there are still more questions than answers. Will the adversaries now play it safe or go for broke? Will someone crack - and if so, who will it be?  Or are we destined to see the fate of the world chess championship decided by rapid tie-break games?

Tomorrow is another rest day, so game 11 is on Saturday 26 May when Gelfand will have the white pieces.

All games start at 15:00 local time (11:00 UTC).  The time control is 120 minutes for the first 40 moves, then 60 minutes for the next 20 moves, and a final 15 minutes to a finish with a 30 seconds increment after move 61.

The prize fund is $2.55 million, with the winner receiving $1.53 million (60%), the loser $1.02 million (40%).

If the match is level after 12 games there will be a 4-game rapid match tie-break at 25 minutes per game plus 10 second increment. If scores are still level a 2-game blitz match will be played at 5 minutes plus 3 second increment.  If the deadlock is still not broken, there can be up to 5 of the these 2-game blitz matches before a sudden-death blitz game will decide the winner (5 minutes for white, 4 minutes for black, and a 3 second increment from move 61).

The full rules for the match can be found here (pdf).

The match schedule is below (times are Moscow time = UTC+4 hours):

Date Event Time Date Event Time
11-May Game  1  15:00 21-May Game  8  15:00
12-May Game  2  15:00 22-May Rest day
13-May Rest day    23-May Game  9  15:00
14-May Game  3  15:00 24-May Game  10  15:00
15-May Game  4  15:00 25-May Rest day
16-May Rest day    26-May Game  11  15:00
17-May Game  5  15:00 27-May Rest day
18-May Game  6  15:00 28-May Game  12  15:00
19-May Rest day    29-May Rest day
20-May Game  7  15:00 30-May Tie break  12:00

The official match website has video commentary in Russian and English.  The English language host is Dirk Jan ten Geuzendam, who will be joined by Nigel Short (on 11–12 May), Jan Timman (14–15 May), Joel Lautier (17 May), Peter Svidler (18, 23–24 and 28 May), Peter Leko (20–21 May), and Vladimir Kramnik (26 May).

Screenshots taken from the official coverage, which is available for replay at the match website.

Computer analysis from the official website.

5 votes

Comments

Balachandar

At least, they are trying something new and not playing the same old openings.

Twobit

Agree, Anand will win with rapid games. I would be shocked if Gelfand pulls a Topalov and commits suicide by aggression.

chessolite

yes game 11 is draw 5.5 -5.5

I say that it will go into rapid games

Twobit

Game 11: 24 move draw?

GeniusKJ

Gelfand will take risks these upcoming days... going into tiebreaks is equivalent to Gelfand losing... So he must win one in the next two games or Anand gets to be WCC again for sure.

But Anand's WCC win wouldn't be as commendable if it game from rapid tiebreaks...I think Anand's going to win before tiebreaks. We'll have to just wait and see!

GeniusKJ

At rors: Yes, Anand hasn't been playing much chess at all in anytime control... so he's not playing much blitz either....

But he is one of the best rapid and blitz players in the history of chess.

satorichess

And look everyone complained with Kaspsrov because he was just saying what everyone's knows and think. I hope Gelfand will put him out of the tournament that's what he deserves really for having bored to death almost everybody....

fabelhaft

"I've never seen Anand play either blitz or rapid chess.  On the other hand I have seen Gelfand play in several rapid and blitz games and he appears to be excellent in both"

Anand is one of the greatest rapid chess players ever, his results were even better than Kasparov's and he has won the strongest rapid events numerous times. Also the last years when his classical chess has suffered he has played well in rapid, he for example won Botvinnik Memorial 2011 far ahead of Aronian, Kramnik and Carlsen.

rorschach1985

@GeniusKJ....Really?  Not that I'm doubting the validity of what you say in the least, but I've never seen Anand play either blitz or rapid chess.  On the other hand I have seen Gelfand play in several rapid and blitz games and he appears to be excellent in both.  So if I misspoke I apologize.  But I still wouldn't bet against Gelfand in a tie-break against anybody.

vibhutishubham

India wanna saw vishy as a winner........he so talented player....

Twobit

He should...

GeniusKJ

What are the chances that Anand retires from chess right after this WCC ends?

joey0094

both are strong players , im satisfied with all their games so far

srisaravana

Ya, "I do believe, like Kasparov actually said in an interview, that Anand has lost the interest in chess. He has this "I just want to get it done"-look in his face, and his games have become generally so drawish and short, that I am really sad of watching them."

Me too believe the same way, recent Anand games are getting boring, Anand was known to be fast and aggresive, now he is taking much more time than Gelfand....

fabelhaft

I agree, Anand is a great and enormously talented player, but the last years it has been sad to see his uninspired chess.

dezsoracz

That  is  if  we  do  not  want  see  games  with  blunders.

dezsoracz

I  think  that  this  is  the  sighn  of  computer  aera,  even  though  they  coud  of  play  more  matches,  mayby  24--36 of  them,  to  see  a  wider  selection  of  knowledge.

chessolite

i think that this will go into the rapid games

Waagner1992

Kenji_Yamazaki

I remembered one guy hates draws to much that he would even risk losing the game to fight for a win.

we don't see players like Alekhine anymore