64 King and Pawn Concepts

• FM Boorchess
  • | Feb 3, 2014

64 King and Pawn Concepts

I have created the following table (an endgame"learning board") I share with my students and for chess.com users to take advantage of. Please mentally scan the positions and then leave a comment saying your rating and how many positions that you know "cold". This is a follow up to my roadmap http://www.chess.com/article/view/0---2000-a-roadmap-of-chess-knowledge article where I laid out a knowledge by rating list.

To make sense of the positions assume that that the pawn is a center pawn unless you can see a board edge in the fragment. Also keep an eye on the top of the fragment to see if there is a dark boarder for the edge of the chessboard.

Below each diagram there is a  evaluation indicating the result depending on which player is to move; essentially each fragment is two problems, white to play/black to play.

Please mentally scan the positions and take note of how many positions/concepts you know "cold" and then post the number along with your rating in the comments to this thread.

php85GHw1.jpeg
phptFZMPx.jpeg

This list of positions is by no means comprehensive for even intermediate to advanced king and pawn (not even close!) knowledge. But I do think it is a respectable cross section of the knowledge base from novice to "mastery" of this all important phase of the game. I look forward to hearing from you all on this self survey of king and pawn.

As always to learn more about my coaching services please visit

www.OhioChessAcademy.com

I have added new features to my education package (tailored PGN homework, custom Opening files and "over the shoulder" tactics/endgame training).

Comments

vedantsakre

hi

Spoturnovsky

I would like to have a better image of the positions...this seems more like a "try to see positions clearly" more than "solve them"

Juxtranspose

3/ 64 1600 uscf

bobjoerock

56 1600

Tes7

27. 1700 FIDE

HuskerEagles

Rebro

I knew only 11/64 without thinking. I'm confident I could solve more of them with relative ease.

Rated 1250-1300 in blitz.

guru200773

26/64, FIDE rating 1247.

Really a good article to recollect the position and to look on new ones for studying purpose. Thank u

FM Boorchess

Awesome Job FlexHASH!!! You have unlocked the treasure in the 64th position and can claim your prize, a free 1 hour training session!

Contact me at ChessCoach@live.com to schedule your one hour training session!

Congratulations!

Coach Carl

Expertise87

A fragment is a small piece of something. So each one of these 64 positions in the picture is a 'fragment,' you can look at the top of each little position to see if there is a border (letters/numbers on the edge of a chess board) which shows if you're near the side of the board.

Aarakash

Please use easy english kindly, as we not very well at english is unable to understand that what to do? actually do you want us to do? Simple words please like " fragment" what does it really means here english dictionary meaning is not helpful.

Aarakash

FLEXhash

60/64. 2130uscf ...Fixing the pawns : 1. b3 b4 2. Kxh7 Kxg2 3. Kg6 Kf3 4. Kf5 Ke3 5. Ke5 Kd2 6. Kd4 Kxc2 7. Kc4 Kd2 8. Kxb4 Ke3 9. Kc5 ++

DarkJediNinja

11/64. Most of the others can solve within a few seconds. 1426 chess.com Live Blitz and 1505 Live Standard rating.

IM chesskingdreamer

last one had to do some claculation.

Rommeldam

61/64 2148 FIDE

Raddmiral

7/64, unrated OTB / 1181 chess.com standard

Expertise87

First + - or = means if it's White to move, + White wins = draw - Black wins. Then there's a slash. Second + - or = means the same - if it's a + White wins, = draw, - Black wins.

+/- White to play wins, Black to play wins. +/= White to play wins, Black to play draws. -/+ White to play loses, Black to play loses, etc.

FM Boorchess

I just right clicked on the image and then selected "view image" from there I was able to zoom in a bit more. If you then hold ctrl and + you can zoom in as much as needed.

Stay tuned for a second part to 64 K&P concepts where I will change the format.

In the meantime just use the zoom function and pretend you are reading a Where's Waldo style Chess Adventure. Buried in the "Fixing the Pawns" position I have placed a buried chess treasure. Answer the solution in the comments to show off your chess skills ~!

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

warchessky

Hello

Copy the entire graphic into Word by highlighting the image with a mouse drag, then pressing ControlC (copy).  Then bring up a blank Word document and paste the image by pressing ControlV (paste).  Set the orientation to landscape and then stretch the document horizontally until it becomes proportional and easier to read.  Either read off of the monitor or print the document.

Can someone please explain the + - and = comments under each example to me.  I am good with Word but not so slick with chess notation.

Hope this helps