How To Become A Coach On Chess.com
How do I become a coach on Chess.com?
First, coaches must have a verified account/identity with Chess.com. There's 3 ways to do this:
- Send in a copy of your picture identification (driver's license and/or passports preferred) to
PO Box 3846
Los Altos, CA 94024
- If you're a titled player, go through our normal titled player verification process.
- Become a premium member. (Upgrading your membership and putting your real name and credit card information on file is the most secure, lasting way to verify your account.)
Next, coaches must have an established rating from FIDE or a nationally recognized chess federation (all ratings will be verified by Chess.com).
- All coaches must have a clear, legible "About Me" section on their profile page. This should include things such as your experience coaching, your accomplishments and/or testimonials from your current or former students.
- All coaches must use a relevant, friendly avatar. We suggest an avatar be a picture of you or a company logo. No titled player or celebrity impersonating avatars will be considered for coaching spots.
- All coaches must have a record of being an upstanding, helpful member within our community.
Still have more questions? Check out our FAQ, click here.
I've done this. What's next?
Fill out the form below. Once Chess.com staff has verified your fulfillment of all requirements above, you will get approved, and automatically be listed at chess.com/coaches. At this time you'll also receive a congratulatory message on Chess.com for confirmation.
Can Chess.com help me get more students? We sure can! Check out this article for advice on on how a coach can and should promote themselves to our community. If you're active, you'll get noticed and the students will come calling!
Can I conduct my lessons right here on Chess.com? Yes. The most active coaches on the web use our Live Analysis Board. Click the link and watch the video on how to use this robust, interactive teaching tool.
Does Chess.com provide video/voice integration software to go with the Live Analysis Board? No, we do not. We recommend coaches connect with their students via the most popular, free and reliable video/voice services available on the web (including Skype, Google Hangouts and others).
Can anyone become a coach listed at chess.com/coaches? No, not just anyone becomes an approved coach on Chess.com. Previously, the coaching section was available to anyone that wanted to be listed. But in order to truly highlight the best coaches on our site and make it easier for our members to find the right coach, we've become much more selective in who we list. This protects both you (the coach) and your potential students.