Forums

2020 (Second) Online World 4 Player Chess SOLO Championship! (DISCUSSION)

Sort:
fourplayerchess

I hope you all have enjoyed the World Online 4PC Solo and Teams Championships games played so far. Thank you all for participating in and watching the championship games. The World 4 Player Chess Teams and FFA/Solo Championships were successful and deserving champions were crowned and automatically admitted into the next championship!

The SECOND Online World 4 Player Chess Solo Championship will begin soon and is scheduled to start the week of Saturday, April 4, 2020.

INTERESTED PLAYERS READ THE FOLLOWING:

16 players will be selected for the championship. Players can qualify from one of the following categories:

1. Winning the previous championship. (1 Player)

2. Winning a World Championship Qualifier. (3 players)

3. Top 3 on the Standard Rapid Solo Leaderboard. (3 players)

4. Have one of the top Performance Ratings during the month before selection [remaining spots for the championship will be filled by players selected based on strength of opponents won against in their last 36 games in the 28-day period of February 23rd (21:00 UTC) till March 22nd (21:00 UTC)] (6 players).

4. At the discretion of a tournament director/multiple tournament admins, especially if a rule change takes place (3 players this year).

5. If there are openings at the beginning of the Championship, in the order of rating and availability.

BASIC ELIGIBILITY RULES FOR ALL PARTICIPANTS:

1. A player must be clear of cheating, sportsmanship, or rule infraction bans.

2. SINGLE ACCOUNT ELIGIBILITY: If a player is seen multi-accounting, he could be disqualified from the Championship, especially in an extreme case, and at best, all other accounts will be banned from 4 player chess play and the main could be potentially play banned for a period of time. To clarify chess.com’s multi-accounting rules, all players must use only ONE account, EXCEPT for Titled players, who can have one Titled account and one non-titled account (but cannot self-team).

3. A player must have joined chess.com 2 weeks before the start of the Tournament.

QUALIFICATION THROUGH WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP QUALIFIERS:

See this forum when WCQ tournaments are being posted and certain rules are being discussed.

In there will be three tournaments by time zone, and one person per tournament is guaranteed qualification into the World Championship.

RATED QUALIFICATION (HIGH RATED SOLO PLAYERS PLEASE READ):

Remaining spots for the championship will be filled by players selected based on strength of opponents won against in their last 36 games in the 28-day period of February 23rd (21:00 UTC) till March 22nd (21:00 UTC). Interested players must play 36 Rated Standard Rapid Solo Games during this time to be considered in this category of qualification. Any Rapid Time Control game counts towards this and is not limited to just the popular 1:00 + :15 D or the new 2:00 + :15 D Championship time controls.

Formula for selection: [(total opponents’ ratings) + 400 * (wins - [non-first-places divided by 3]) ] / 36  ; based on Performance Rating formula, which can be found on Wikipedia. Playing tough opponents (1900+ for example) and winning 70% of the time will favor a player over another who wins 100% of the time against only 1500's.

In a tiebreak for the last spot available, the higher rated of the two players will be selected.

Selection from Rated Qualification will be announced March 22 and selected players must declare to participate by March 29. If selected players partner other selected players or do not accept, the next highest Performance Rating over Feb 23- Mar 22 will be selected and must be declared by April 5. This is when Rankings will be determined.

IMPORTANT CHANGES FROM THE PREVIOUS CHAMPIONSHIP:

Original Handbook/Guidelines for World 4PC Championships:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1I-Q6vCIF2VnzFFWkA40nnffQ3hyS_xuxnqNPrX04BYo/edit

1. No Standard Rated Rapid Solo games have to be played by each player.
2. Now, an established no-show forfeiture time: unable to be online and enter the matchmaker more than 15 minutes after the agreed upon match starts and more than 15 minutes after each game.
3. Rankings are based on head-to-head record winning percentage during the most recent 36 games in the period of Feb 23 - Mar 22.

4. The Championship will now be 2:00 + :15 Delay. Selection will not necessarily be based on this exact time control but on a history of games that fall under the Rapid Time Control.

5. Replacements/Subs WILL compete for the Title.

GAME FORMAT:

This will currently be in an unrated, 2:00 + :15 D, promotion=any, En Passant format. Championship games could be rated in the future!

TOURNAMENT FORMAT:

Single-elimination bracket tournament will take place in a winner-takes-all Anonymous format. Each bracket will have a month in each round to play a best-of-five match (during one sitting) during the preliminary rounds, or best-of-nine during the Championship Final Round. 16 Total players will qualify. Preliminaries will now be first-to-1.25 and Finals will now be first-to 2.25.

Please provide feedback in this forum. Adjustments to the structure can be made based on community feedback and approval by multiple admins.

Best of luck playing and preparing for the Championship!!!

-Luke

Tournament Director:

e4bc4qh5qf7

Assistant Tournament Director/Referees: TBD

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Lfsyyr3p3jGfC1CQ6BXqyi26Ovva_xamFIjq-xHN29c/edit

fourplayerchess

Week 1 of the World Championship Qualifiers:

Preliminary - 16 players will play in four brackets for up to 5 games at 16:00 UTC Saturday, March 7.

Final - The winners of each bracket will play each other up to 5 games at 16:00 UTC Sunday, March 8.

Week 2 of the World Championship Qualifiers:

Preliminary - 16 players will play in four brackets for up to 5 games at 11:00 UTC Saturday, March 14.

Final - The winners of each bracket will play each other up to 5 games at 11:00 UTC Sunday, March 15.

Week 3 of the World Championship Qualifiers:

Preliminary - 16 players will play in four brackets for up to 5 games at 00:00 UTC Saturday, March 21.

Final - The winners of each bracket will play each other up to 5 games at 00:00 UTC Sunday, March 22.

Topics of discussion to be addressed before we start our first tournament:

1. Time control: With the amount of time even 5 games could take, we may want a shorter time control for the Qualifiers: 1 | 5D, 1 | 5, 1 | 3, or even 4 | 0. The Current proposal is 1 | 5. Interested WCQ Participants, please remember that once a time control is selected, you will play up to five games in one sitting.

2. Bracket format: For the Qualifier tournaments only, brackets may be organized differently than the original Championship bracket format.

Original bracket format: 1-8-9-16, 4-5-12-13, 2-7-10-15, 3-6-11-14

Second proposed format: 1-5-9-13, 2-6-10-14, 3-7-11-15, 4-8-12-16.

Third proposed format: 1-14-15-16, 2-11-12-13, 3-8-9-10, 4-5-6-7.

Please vote/provide feedback as we will have our first WCQ tournaments for Solo.

znim

i want to join 

JCrossover08

j's gonna take over solo next dont worry

Arseny_Vasily
e4bc4qh5qf7 wrote:

4. Have one of the top Performance Ratings during the month before selection [remaining spots for the championship will be filled by players selected based on strength of opponents won against in their last 36 games in the 28-day period of February 23rd (21:00 UTC) till March 22nd (21:00 UTC)] (6 players).

Why exactly 36? Maybe 36 like minimum. And performance is looked at all the games played during this period.

4. At the discretion of a tournament director/multiple tournament admins, especially if a rule change takes place (3 players this year).

?

5. Replacements/Subs WILL compete for the Title.

?

tell me more

fourplayerchess

4. @YalinTala, @carlosgabriel1234, and @GDII all competed as subs in the First championship. Neither competed for the title, but because

5. Replacements/Subs WILL compete for the Title

these players who took the role of filling in for players who left the tournament last year for no reward will be granted qualification this year. And anyone who fills in for a player who left the tournament this year will be compete for the Championship Title. There is an order, however. Players who have not been eliminated the same round, are eligible, have expressed interest, have the higher Solo Rating, and are online at the time of the match, will be the ones who fill in for a player who is disqualified or left the tournament. For this year, Only in the Final, if a player leaves the tournament or is DQ'd, can we select a replacement from the pool of players who got eliminated in the previous round, the preliminaries. Does this answer your question, @Arseny_Vasily ?

Arseny_Vasily

Yes thank you. Another question. What is needed for the participation of the World Championship Qualifier, and how are the regions divided?

fourplayerchess

Regions are simply divided by the first 16 eligible participants who express interest to play during the times listed.

Basic eligibility requirements are just simply non-secondary accounts, clear of bans, and didn't create their account more recently than 2 weeks (14 days) before. I removed the Standard Rapid Solo games requirement.

Arseny_Vasily
e4bc4qh5qf7 wrote:

Regions are simply divided by the first 16 eligible participants who express interest to play during the times listed.

Nice, I'm happy with two times, I'll play twicewink.png

Arseny_Vasily
When will you make an announcement on site? Not all players browse forum.
carlosgabriel1234

Very good grin.png

Cha_ChaRealSmooth

atm I vote for 1|5 time control

neoserbian

finally

2/15 is perfect

I am glad that you concidere my proposal when we spoke about this happy.png

beat43210

seems interesting, good luck to everyone!

fourplayerchess

2 | 15D is for the Championship Phase. It seems so far 1 | 5 increment is the most popular proposal for the Qualifiers but we only got a couple of votes for it happy.png Doing the math in my head, 150 move (600 ply) games would take 50 minutes if 5 seconds per move. 5 games would take at worst 4 hours and that is if all players play extremely slow every single game.

beat43210

i personally find 1/5 too fast and wouldnt best reflect the true strength of players skill, I would rather have 1:15D since it best reflects the championship. 

Grathieben

I think 1|5 is good for the qualifiers.  I have one question: since I am currently  in the top three as of 2/23/2020, does this mean I automatically get a spot in the qualifiers, or do I need to maintain that status until March 22nd (closing period)?

beat43210

i believe you need to maintain it till the end of the month.

fourplayerchess

March 22

Indipendenza

"1. Winning the previous championship. (1 Team)" : mistyping to correct (copy-paste mistake certainly), 1 Player wink.png

"4. Have one of the top Performance Ratings during the month before selection" : it's not clear, what is this exactly please?

"If selected players partner other selected players or do not accept" : certainly a mistyping again? Not relevant for Solo I presume.

"GAME FORMAT:

This will currently be in an unrated, 2:00 + :15 D, promotion=any, En Passant format. "  why unrated?

"Preliminaries will now be first-to-1.25 and Finals will now be first-to 2.25." : what does it mean exactly? I am not aware, sorry.

"4. At the discretion of a tournament director/multiple tournament admins, especially if a rule change takes place (3 players this year)."

Like Arseny, I do not see what on Earth it means.

TIME CONTROL

1/5D would be fine indeed for me; 4/0 not. 4/1 would be Ok, and even 3/1 (not delay, incrementation).