Forums

2020 (Third) Online World 4 Player Chess Championship - Teams! (Discussion)

Sort:
fourplayerchess

Hello all! Thank you to all who have participated and taken interest in the five World 4 Player Chess Championships (W4PCC) so far! I will be hosting our third year of the Online W4PCC Teams Championships starting the weekend of August 1, 2020! This event will likely take place over the course of 4 months, but you only need to be available to play a couple hours per week or even two weeks. This event is open to anyone as long as the player is not a secondary account / cheater and is not under a ban for 4 player chess. There is no need to have played an X number of games anymore. However, we should note that all games played this Championship are rated.  You must also select a partner that is not too low rated or too high rated, as anti-sandbagging mesaures have taken place to prevent artificial rating increase. There is also no need to pre-register as the Qualifying Tournaments for this Championship are semi-automatic and you can just click play or join on the Teams W4PCC Qualifier Arena when it is available. 

IMPORTANT! Upon qualifying, you must agree to the following:

1. To continue to meet the basic eligibility requirements (must not play on a secondary account or currently be under any type of cheating/sportsmanship bans).

2. To refrain from continuing to play Qualifier Arenas.

3. To continue the championship with the partner you qualified with and play Best-of-5 matches according to the Round 1 and Round 2 schedules. Rounds 3 and afterward can be negotiated between you, your opponents, and the Tournament Director.

4. To be ready to provide your first & last name, and country of origin to the public as well as the admins and chess.com staff via message within one week of qualifying. You must make sure you are partnering with a player who can provide this information as well.

5. To have a webcam ready if requested by chess.com staff.

6. To have a partner who can meet the above criteria as a substitute if your current partner withdraws. 

HOW TO JOIN THE QUALIFIER ARENAS:

You can choose two different ways:

1. Click Leaderboards on the 4 player chess webpage or click https://www.chess.com/4-player-chess?t=leaderboards . Then, select Arenas. When the tournament becomes available, click Invite.

2. Select the Play tab on the 4 player chess webpage or click https://www.chess.com/4-player-chess?t=play . Then click the Arena symbol. When an orange +Partner symbol appears, click that button.

We encourage you to invite your partner to as many queues for this Tournament as possible (up to 3) so the games can start quicker.

Format: Standard Teams, rated, normal starting position, no king of the hill or other variations, En Passant, 2:00 + 0:15 delay, pawns promote to the 11th rank as Queen, Rook, Bishop, or Knight.

In a 2.5-2.5 Tiebreak during a best-of-5 match, there will be a 6th game where the players rematch from the 5th game. This will be the final game of the match. The winner of this game will win the entire match. If there is another draw, the last team to move right before the draw was declared will win the match.

Final Decisions have been made for the Teams World 4 Player Chess Championship Qualifiers Schedule!

After reviewing the practice tournaments played this week, the following times will be scheduled: Saturdays at 00:00, 04:00, 16:00, and 20:00 UTC; Sundays 00:00, 12:00,16:00, and 20:00 UTC. There will be four weekends of each of them in August. Please remember to convert Universal Coordinated Time into the time for your time zone (Example: Saturday at 00:00 UTC is the same as Friday at 08:00 pm US Eastern and Saturday at 02:00 am Central European Standard Time).

There will be 32 Qualifying Teams that will compete during the Preliminaries. Round 1 will be Single Elimination. Rounds 2 and onward will be double elimination up until the final (updated August 10, 2020).

The qualifier arenas will be 2 hours long and you can late join them, but you must partner the same teammate the entire tournament. If you fail to qualify, you can play in another arena with the same or different teammate if you so choose. However, if you do qualify, you must play with the teammate you qualified with in Round 1 according to the schedule at the time the Arena you qualified from started. We also ask that you refrain from playing in the Arenas thereafter if you have qualified already. Do not partner anyone who has already qualified for the championship.

Updates in abort policy: If an abort is used in an unfair manner, your team will be disqualified from the match/arena, even if it is the first abort.
Please do not click "Play This Game Again". 
For now, if you accidentally hit it and join, you can rejoin with your partner; however, we will consider the lower score of the two performances should a player abort.

Qualifier Arenas:

Saturday, August 1: 0, 4, 16, 20 UTC - Winners Compete in Round 1 on August 29 at the same time they qualified.
Sunday, August 2: 0, 12, 16, 20 UTC - Winners Compete in Round 1 on August 30 at the same time they qualified.
Saturday, August 8: 0, 4, 16, 20 UTC - Winners Compete in Round 1 on September 5 at the same time they qualified.
Sunday, August 9: 0, 12, 16, 20 UTC - Winners Compete in Round 1 on September 6 at the same time they qualified.
Saturday, August 15: 0, 4, 16, 20 UTC - Winners Compete in Round 1 on August 29 at the same time they qualified.
Sunday, August 16: 0, 12, 16, 20 UTC - Winners Compete in Round 1 on August 30 at the same time they qualified.
Saturday, August 22: 0, 4, 16, 20 UTC - Winners Compete in Round 1 on September 5 at the same time they qualified.
Sunday, August 23: 0, 12, 16, 20 UTC - Winners Compete in Round 1 on September 6 at the same time they qualified.

Preliminaries:

Preliminary matches will be a best-of-5 (First team to collect 3 wins will advance) and you must show up and be ready to receive an invite from the Tournament Director before 15 minutes after the scheduled time. After each game, the teams must click the Rematch button until a winning team is determined (do not click "Play This Game Again" or accept an invite from another user with the same game title! You could be disqualified if you actively join another game during the match.) A short break can be requested; otherwise, teams must click the Rematch button within 5 minutes after each game. If a partner withdraws or cannot make a match, the Tournament Director must be notified at least 24 hours in advance. The team will then be allowed a substitute for the match. For the Round 1 schedule, please see the previous section; if you qualified you will be notified and reminded of your exact playing schedule if you remain in the Championship.

Round 2 of the Championship Prelims - Double Elimination Starts:
Winners of Round 1 games played on August 29 will play Round 2 at the same time on September 12.
Winners of Round 1 games played on August 30 will play Round 2 at the same time on September 13.
Winners of Round 1 games played on September 5 will play Round 2 at the same time on September 12.
Winners of Round 1 games played on September 6 will play Round 2 at the same time on September 13.

Round 3 of the Championship Prelims - Double Elimination continues (All to be worked out between teams playing against each other between September 14 00:00 UTC and September 27 23:59 UTC)

Round 4a: Teams in the Winner's brackets work out times between September 28 00:00 UTC and October 4 23:59 UTC; Elimination Brackets will play during a preset time determined this week.

Round 4b: Elimination Brackets play during a preset time determined for the week of October 5 00:00 UTC through October 11 23:59 UTC.

Round 5a: Teams that qualified for Semi-Final 1 (Winner's Bracket) work out times between October 5 00:00 UTC and October 18 23:59 UTC. The Elimination quarterfinal will be worked out between teams on October 12 00:00 UTC and October 18 23:59 UTC.

Round 5b: Teams that qualified for Semi-Final 2 (Elimination) work out times to play between October 19 00:00 UTC and November 1 23:59 UTC.

Championship Final:

The Finals will be a Best-of-12 and may take place during the month of November, to be worked out between the finalists. These Finals should take place over two days (up to 6 games per day). The first team to reach 6.5 or higher will be declared the 2020 W4PCC Teams Champions. Players will be randomly given their first colors and hit the rematch button after every odd number game, but they will have the same "White" and "Black" colors after every even number game, but the actual colors between teammates will switch, e.g. the player with Red in the even # game will have Yellow in the odd # game, etc.

If the score after 12 games is 6-6, there will be a best-of-5 tiebreak match, but the teams will start with different colors in game 13 than they did during game 1 (if Team 1 had the "White" pieces during game 1, then that team will have the "Black" pieces during game 13). The first team to reach 8.5 points total will be the 2020 W4PCC Teams Champions. If they both reach 8.5 at the same time, the winning team will be the team that last moved before the draw was declared during game 17.

Semi-Finals and Finals may be streamed on chesstv and finalists may be awarded cash prizes or Diamond Memberships on chess.com. There is no guarantee for either of these; however, past championship finals have successfully awarded prizes to the winners.

A handbook will be posted soon with the updates in our Championship Rules, but the qualifiers are Arenas and you may latejoin or leave those as you please. Our handbook for previous championships: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Lfsyyr3p3jGfC1CQ6BXqyi26Ovva_xamFIjq-xHN29c/edit

Please provide feedback in this forum as there may be many questions. Adjustments to the structure can be made based on community feedback and approval by multiple admins.

Best of luck in the Qualifiers / Championship!

- Luke

e4bc4qh5qf7

Tournament Director

Assistant TD's / referees TBD

GustavKlimtPaints

First : )

By the way doesn't qualification via arenas just favor those who get lucky with matchups? Say there are 3 good teams  A, B, and C playing in a qualifier. Teams and B get pitted with each other and play a long, grueling 30 min. game. Meanwhile, team C gets matched against some 1200 teams and quickly racks up 5 wins within 20 minutes via early checkmates. When Team and B finish their game, they both queue up again and because they are the only teams in the queue at the time, get another game together that ends up lasting 25 minutes. Easy win for Team C on the arena overall, but the result would seem to reflect more their luck in getting easy matches rather than any sort of performance.

angelo_5113

Second : )

JCrossover08

i am so confused i gave up after the second paragraph someone help me out lol

Math_Chess1

Nah

fourplayerchess

@jcrossover08

TL;DR? In short, if you win a W4PCC Arena, you and your partner in that arena should plan the following:

Playing a match starting exactly four weeks and six weeks after that Arena if the Arena you won took place in the first or second week of August.

Playing a match starting exactly two weeks and four weeks after that Arena if the Arena you won took place in the third or fourth week of August.

Concise enough, J? I can help you with the rest.

JCrossover08

wait so its whoever wins an arena? what happened to last years swiss style of qualifying

Cha_ChaRealSmooth

good forum thread @e4bc4qh5qf7 ! Some IRL major chess tournament organizers could learn a thing or two from you

fourplayerchess

@gustavklimtpaints great thing for discussion

^This was the way that the Solo Antichess Championship was run. I can change to up to 3 if players are having a hard time finding opponents. Or I can change to unlimited. I think for smoothness of the tournament, however, I may actually change to unlimited. For anyone that played the practice tournaments last weekend please let me know if “up to 2” is too few as I do not want people complaining that they aren’t facing opponents!

In fact, @gustavklimtpaints , I will be the devil’s advocate and not only change for this weekend’s practice tournaments to unlimited consecutive opponents but also teach everyone how to farm opponents! First of all the way to cheat is to join queues of exactly 1 player. Then another unsuspecting player will join and you have two parts as opponents instead of one team! If you see a queue that had one player a second ago and that exact queue became two, join that queue quick!!!

Jokes aside, I can continue practice tournaments up until the real thing alternating weeks of up to X number of consecutive opponents and unlimited consecutive opponents. There’s good and bad for both.

@jcrossover08

> Arenas

More participants.

> Swiss

Lots of dropouts towards the end of that tournament

> round robin

Still lots of dropouts towards the end

> pure knockout

Completely organized manually and fewer participants

@cha_charealsmooth

Thank you my man!

7R0N1C
e4bc4qh5qf7 wrote:

@gustavklimtpaints great thing for discussion

^This was the way that the Solo Antichess Championship was run. I can change to up to 3 if players are having a hard time finding opponents. Or I can change to unlimited.

Might have to go unlimited as that feature is still very buggy...

fourplayerchess

@7R0N1C done. No restrictions.

JCrossover08

who cares about having more participants, in the end it will only be like 16 people that qualify anyways, so what if some dumbo drops out who cares about that 

fourplayerchess

58* @j

JCrossover08

58 people qualify???????????

fourplayerchess

28 teams of 2, plus Icystun and Valger.

JCrossover08

goddamn a bit lenient this year arent we luke?

H1ghDude

I DONT HAVE A TEAM MATE!!! sad.png

H1ghDude

Someone 2000+ guy intrested to play with me please message me!! sad.pngshock.png

AntarcticanCitizen

when is the next W4PCC?

GustavKlimtPaints

@AntarcticanCitizen information on the times can be found in the following forum thread:

Click for Link