Forums

Giga Dog GRAND FINAL - @musketeerchess2017 vs @captainwugwash - Game 2

Sort:
captaintugwash

Game 1 finished in a win for @capitaintugwash who had the white pieces, @musketeerchess2017 will be hoping to bounce back now he has the white pieces. A draw is all musketeer needs to win the Giga Dog title, while I need a win for a 2-0 score.

Game 1 is here

@musketeerchess2017 to move

Good luck!

evert823

omg

musketeerchess2017
evert823 wrote:

omg

1.g4

captaintugwash

1... Wg6

musketeerchess2017
captaintugwash wrote:

1... Wg6

Ng3

captaintugwash

2. Bj5+

musketeerchess2017
captaintugwash wrote:

2. Bj5+

h3

captaintugwash

Well that was fast. No mercy.

3. Wh4#

captaintugwash

I mean 1. g4 is almost completely unplayable, after 1... Wg6 you simply have to play 2. h3 and build from there. After 2. Ng3 Bj5+ your only viable defence now is 3. i4 Qi5 4. f3 to give your king an escape and save the g4 pawn, but you've lost a pawn and lost castling rights, though you have the bishop pair. It's still a game. 

But best to just avoid 1. g4, there's really no need to open up the king on the first move. White gains nothing from that move, it doesn't help develop a piece.

musketeerchess2017
captaintugwash wrote:

3. Wh4#

Congratulations to the champ.

captaintugwash
evert823 wrote:

omg

This was like a prophecy and from now on this opening should be known as the "omg opening".

captaintugwash
musketeerchess2017 wrote:
captaintugwash wrote:

3. Wh4#

Congratulations to the champ.

Thank you, good games. I look forward to playing again. Clearly I didn't get the best of you here, I've watched some of your games and you're a good player, but unfortunately you couldn't bring your A-game for this final. We can all have bad days though, I've missed mate-in-one before!

captaintugwash

Just looking at 2. Ni3, this looks like a viable plan for white as the knight can retreat to g2 to block checks. With f3, white's structure look solid enough, this doesn't look like a bad opening.

I don't think 1. g4 is outright bad, but you have to be very careful to avoid an opening catastrophe like this.

musketeerchess2017
captaintugwash wrote:

Just looking at 2. Ni3, this looks like a viable plan for white as the knight can retreat to g2 to block checks. With f3, white's structure look solid enough, this doesn't look like a bad opening.

I don't think 1. g4 is outright bad, but you have to be very careful to avoid an opening catastrophe like this.

Hi

it was my attempt to finish with a beauty, the fools mate and you succeeded in doing it.

Got some unfortunate family problems to deal with and i didn’t want to start the game asking for months of delay.

you deserved the win anyway

captaintugwash

I did consider that possibility, well it's a shame that you can't give the time for chess but obviously your personal matters are much more important, I hope for a good resolution whatever the issue.