Forums

Good way to display chess sets?

TheOneCalledMichael

Oeeeh nice cat! I have a mixed one, still a kitten now but wondering if she will become huge. Everytime she sees pieces she always wants to play with them sad.png

Rsava

@Jaionix - what is the biggest board you have on the lower shelves (that fit between the risers)? It appears from the question/answers on the Amazon page that the inner dimensions are about 18 1/2" inches. I have 4 boards that are 21 1/2" wide.

Jaionix
Rsava wrote:

@Jaionix - what is the biggest board you have on the lower shelves (that fit between the risers)? It appears from the question/answers on the Amazon page that the inner dimensions are about 18 1/2" inches. I have 4 boards that are 21 1/2" wide.

You are correct.  The inner dimensions are 18 1/2.  My top board on the shelves is, like yours, 21 1/2.  My largest one is this 25x25 board. Shown here. Too big to fit. 

CrPZX2Y.jpg

tClAbjl.jpg

I've been through many months searching, garage sales, furniture stores, online auctions looking for any curio cabinet with a size bigger to display chessboards over 15x15, with no luck.  You would think for amount of beautiful boards made over the years, cabinets to display them would have been widespread, but they just aren't. 

MCH818
Jaionix wrote:
bubbles_the_cat wrote:
dragade wrote:
1) awesome display
2) you don’t have cats

Not just cats, look out for a stray mouse. One can wreck havoc in your chess room as it chews through wood and knocks down pieces. Enclosed glass displays are great for your expensive sets.

That was my goal originally, but after much searching, I could never find a glass cabinet that enclosed large boards.  As far cats I own a Maine Coon.
Surprisingly, he has never shown any interest in my sets, and instead loves ping pong balls. Never seen any mice in the 10 years here. (Knock on wood) So its the luck of the draw, I guess. 

Beautiful cat and chess display! My cat likes to chew on chess pieces sometimes. He use to chew on my French Staunton set. He also uses his tail to sweep the entire board when he is down a knight to me.

Wizard_Chess97

I love that last large set; beautiful board and piece design!

Jaionix

Thanks Bud wink.png