Forums

Have i bought an Official Staunton's1849 Antique Chess Set!?

Sort:
RetroAeon

I just purchased a chess set off of an elderly gentleman - he had them stored in his loft for 15 - 20 yrs (according to him) they were in an old Staunton carboard box, wrapped in paper - literally brand new as he never used them. 
Wondering if any keen eyes could check the pics to see if they are legit

Thanks

notmtwain
RetroAeon wrote:

I just purchased a chess set off of an elderly gentleman - he had them stored in his loft for 15 - 20 yrs (according to him) they were in an old Staunton carboard box, wrapped in paper - literally brand new as he never used them. 
Wondering if any keen eyes could check the pics to see if they are legit

Thanks

Well, the House of Staunton is definitely a major retailer of quality chess sets. 

There is, however, no such thing as "official" Staunton pieces. Howard Staunton was an English chess champion in the 1840's. All pieces using the design he endorsed are Staunton design.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Staunton_chess_set

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Staunton_chess_set

Your pieces are not antiques.

RetroAeon

yeah, just want to know a bit more information about the set - I feel they might be the Nottingham set, which are discontinued - i have sent an email with pics to a few chess dealers for info happy.png

EBowie

Either way, that set and board look great together.  The board has an interesting border --- never seen one quite like it.

RetroAeon

@EBowie - Thanks - yeah originally i was buying a standard square deluxe board off of him, but i saw this board next to it and he told me he couldnt let me have it for the price i was paying - i only paid 20 more to get that board though 

R5M8

@notmtwain : Official Staunton is a British retailer.

I don't think it will be possible to id the pieces from these photos. But somebody might have an idea about the board.

RetroAeon

@R5M8 from what I have looked at, the pieces are almost identical in many sets with the Knight being the only one with real tell-tale differences. I came close a few times, but things like the knights maine was flattened on the edge oppose to bumpy like mine... I'm sure some light will be shed soon. I will keep searching. 

MCH818

To me it is not an 1849 set because it has a dot in the eyes. It has to be a reproduction of a later Jaques set. I thought it looks like a Marshall wood set but when I looked it up the Marshall does not look the same as what you have. Here is the link: https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/house-staunton-wood-chess-set-151774250.

KnightsForkCafe

The Knight looks similar to the Knight from the Havana 66 set. Not exactly but similar. 

KineticPawn

The border on the board is very interesting.  Looks like a design that would be more commonly seen on a chess table more so than a chess board. Any pictures of the boards underside? 

RetroAeon

It says Nottingham series on the box... But yeah not much luck figuring it out yet. Sent some pics to a chess dealer 

Prince_of_Bohemia

To my eyes this knight resemble the Nimzovich knight the most. Good days and Good Knights - Chess Forums - Chess.com

TundraMike

It is a very nice quality set put out by the House of Staunton.  Nice find. 

KnightsForkCafe

Not sure if this is the answer you seek but I thought it was fitting for the name of the Chess set series. LOL!

MCH818

@Prince _of_Bohemia I agree it could be a Nimzovich as well.

@KnightsForkCafe Haha! But I looked up the HoS Nottingham set and it does not look like the one posted by the OP. You can see a photo of it in pst #7 of this thread: https://www.chess.com/forum/view/chess-equipment/photos-of-original-sets-in-use

SpanishStallion

This is certainly not 1849 chess set. It is a reproduction set similar to Havana set within the price range of $150-$200.

KnightsForkCafe

@MCH818 yes I have noticed the difference. RCM did a repro of the 1936 Nottingham set. However it is titled BCC (British Chess Company) on their website. Sometimes manufacturers might mislabel the set. I ordered one set and received the correct series but wrong size. So this might have happened with the set the OP posted.

Royal Chess Mall

SpanishStallion

Yes, it is similar to RCM set. 

MCH818

I disagree. The set overall looks similar but the knights do not. Of topic, I am not sure how I feel about the knights in the BCC/1936 set. I think I like them. At the same time, I think they look odd. It is the same way I feel about the Leuchars set from OS.

gargraves
Beautiful set. The pieces are a touch too big for the board. Rule of thumb- you should be able to crowd 4 pawns onto a square, with the edges of the pawns bases not going more than a few mm past the edge of the square. Some Russian sets like to have wide bases that break that rule, but in general, for Staunton sets, the 4 in a square rule holds. Generally 3.5-3.75 inch kings fit 2.25 inch squares, and as you hit 4” and beyond on the king, you go to 2.5” squares.