Forums

Will putting a chess clock in the freezer help?

Sort:
BigLew

I have this DGT NA with this blemish on the screen. 

The mark is there whether the clock is on or off.  It has been there over a year or so. 

I doesn't effect came play, it is just annoying because it shouldnt be there. The clock is about twelve years old.  Anyway. this fella told me today that I should put it in the freezer for twenty-four hours. He generally thinks he knows everything about anything but he says it will help if not make it go away. Anyway, I'm going to try it just to prove him wrong. And if he is right,....GOOD DEAL! 

I will you all know what happened tomorrow, with an update to this thread. 

SoupSailor72
12 years old!!! Idk man
BigLew
SoupSailor72 wrote:
12 years old!!! Idk man

yeah but that blemish has only been there a year or so. 

ungewichtet

It is just a wrinkle.. quick, get it out of the fridge happy.png

EscherehcsE

I probably would have just taped a piece of paper over it...

ungimmicked

Commenting to bookmark this experiment

jjupiter6

Think about it - how would putting it in the freezer make the blemish go away but somehow not affect the rest of the display? If he wasn't joking anyway, I would treat his advice as a joke.

EscherehcsE

If the freezer kills it, well, it was time for a new model anyway...

EscherehcsE
BigLew wrote:

<snip> 

I will you all know what happened tomorrow, with an update to this thread. 

Anticipation!

BigLew

Well after 24 hours in the freezer, the blemish on the LCD screen got worse. 

So now I have a good excuse to upgrade to the new DGT 2500! I also own an old Saitek, Excalibur, Duel Timer, a DGT 960 Pocket  and another DGT NA.    So I’m not left with out a chess clock to use. 
So freezing the LCD does affect it, but not in a positive way. 
Just so you know. 

EscherehcsE

Thanks for the update! Nix the freezer idea, got it!

Lobster62

Freezing let the liquid crystal expand, allowing it to force its way into parts of the screen where it didn't belong.  You may want to save this clock for away games, since losing it wouldn't be a big deal.

Chessflyfisher

You probably want to put him in the freezer!

JimRichmond

I only use analog clocks when playing with the frozen poultry.

BigLew
Well after it thawed out for several hours it went back to the way it was in the first pics. So no more damage done. It still works, it’s not better it’s not worse.
TheGiuocoPianio

His next advice, well put it in the oven @ 400 degrees for 24h, it might checkmate you.