Fabio and the Meaning of Leuven GCT Rapid and Blitz for the 2018 WC

fightingbob
Preggo_Basashi wrote:
fightingbob wrote:

I wrote what I did because I was surprised GM Nakamura expressed this degree of insight into something in which he excels.

You were... surprised a pro had insight?

?

I guess you mean to say you were excited that an accomplished player's insight not only had the ring of truth to it, but it disparaged a form of chess you personally have little respect for. Whether your lack of respect for blitz is sour grapes or not would be speculation and ego on my part, as you chastise me for earlier, but trying to deny you said you greatly respect Naka for agreeing with what you've been saying for years is a bit pathetic. As a pro player, and a speed player of great renown, his remarks cut down blitz games in a way almost no other person's can, and that pleased you.

fightingbob wrote:

That means that Blitz and Bullet won't be overtaking real chess, classical chess, anytime soon in the hearts and minds of the best GMs.  That's something for me and all those who love chess to celebrate.

I completely agree.

The annoying threat in my mind though is rapid games.

I very much disagree we should replace classical chess with rapid games, but at least one GM wrote about his wish to do so (I'm glad it seems most people strongly disagreed with him)

Slow Chess Should Die a Fast Death

Permit me to return the compliment by saying it's disheartening that you lack a certain sophistication that can't imagine F. Scott Fitzgerald's dictum that "The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

Let me spell it out.  I was surprised that someone who makes a particular form of endeavor his specialty is insightful and humble enough to know it's not as important as the classical form from which it sprang.  Sure I was pleased to hear this, but only because a certain intellectual aesthetic that attracted me to the game some 55 years ago and subsequently became a life-long love for the variety and styles as different as Petrosian from Tal is alive if not always well.

I know of Shallow Shahade who has ingratiated his mediocrity into the conversation on the future of chess, and how right you are that Rapid is more of a challenge to "classical" chess ... for the time being.  Things proceed in stages and before long Rapid will be too slow for the ADHD crowd who prefer to satisfy there adrenal glands over a higher somatic organ, the one supposedly setting atop their shoulders.

Unlike most practitioners here, I enjoy playing through the games of the greats to my own piddling attempts at something lasting.  I mean, why look at my scrawls or your finger-painting when the depths of a Vermeer, a van Gogh, a Hassam or a Sergent are laid out before you.

Only time will tell, but despite Hikara's comment the prospects are not bright.  I suspect the quick will eventually supplant the thoughtful as it has in so much of our culture. We'll be left with an extreme sport producing lesser and greater scrawls of what was once high art, and I imagine Danny "The Popularizer" Rensch will be right there, leading the charge.  By then I'll be gone and not have to witness the flotsam and jetsam washed ashore from the wreck of the U.S.S. Chess.

Preggo_Basashi
fightingbob wrote:

Let me spell it out.  I was surprised that someone who makes a particular form of endeavor his specialty is insightful and humble enough to know it's not as important as the classical form from which it sprang. 

Ok, sorry for misunderstanding.

BoboTheFlyingSheep67

All people who think Fabi will win, come to this forum!!

https://www.chess.com/forum/post?id=39133118

hesperus144

So we all agree that Fabi needs to win outright. How many of us are rooting for him? I am for sure!!!

hesperus144
hesperus144 wrote:

So we all agree that Fabi needs to win outright. How many of us are rooting for him? I am for sure!!!

I even made a shirt!  Fabiano Caruana for the win!

BoboTheFlyingSheep67
hesperus144 wrote:
hesperus144 wrote:

I even made a shirt!  Fabiano Caruana for the win!

Yes!!!!!! Finally a Fabi Fan!! Thank you so much for posting. By the way, that was a cool shirt design.