Forums

Best Free Chess App. for Android

Sort:
nameno1had

Does anyone have any recommendations?

robotjazz

I've got chessforfree and it is really good. At level 5 difficulty It gets dramatically tougher to beat. Never beat level 6 of 10

Rentsy

There is a chess.com app.

hankas

Try Droidfish. It runs on Stockfish engine.

MarkVIIIMarc

I play something called Chess Free publisbed by AI factory. It is pretth darned good to play against and ok for two player. Just have not found a good overhead view for two player.

Btw, I have a Galaxy Note phone (huge and for the blind!). The size makes chess more enjoyable.

EddieFreak

Chess for Android is hands down the best (IMHO).  The application supports the Universal Chess Interface (UCI) and Chess Engine Communication Protocol (WinBoard and XBoard), which allows users to play against more powerful third party engines or even play tournaments between engines.  Engine setup features pondering, infinite analysis, hash tables, multiple threads, endgame tablebases, and opening test suites.  I installed the weakest engine I know that still plays well (Tarrasch) and use Stockfish to analyse my games; just like I do on my home PC.

nameno1had
Rentsy wrote:

There is a chess.com app.

I have it...

nameno1had
hankas wrote:

Try Droidfish. It runs on Stockfish engine.

It is no doubt an good engine, but I wasn't impressed with the user friendliness of this program. I did uninstall it and reinstall, just to see why it kept forcing me to play with black after I just used white. It didn't seem to want to switch to other functions very well.

benonidoni

For engine I"ve yet to find one.

For puzzles try ichess at amazon marketplace. Excellent tactical play from normal to advanced to grandmasters. I found it very challenging.

KnightsForkCafe

The Chess Lv. 100 is a decent free chess app. It has edit mode which is good to use to work out chess puzzles against the computer.

Virmus

lichess

jjupiter6

I found Chess for Android to be dull as dishwater, and not very user friendly. Acid Ape isn't bad.

KineticPawn

Lichess by far is the best completely free app. Many sites have free accounts with limited free features.

coolastrology

You’ve got some interesting points in this article. I would have never considered any of these if I didn’t come across this. Thanks!. fuel assault

2Kf21-0

Maybe play Magnus is something to consider?

Chill-Bhronai

you should really spend a few units of your local currency and get Shredder for android phones

Chill-Bhronai

you really should spend a few units of your national currency and get Shredder on your phone

little_ernie

iChess is by far my favorite android app. I believe there's a free version and the full version costs little. I use it heavily on both my phone & tablet. It comes with three puzzle files . I've made my own pgn files containing almost 800 positions, some from my own games. 

chessroboto

Chess for Android. Supports the Certabo electronic chess board.

jjupiter6

If you have a Certabo board then get the Certabodroid app.