Forums

Chessconnect: a free chrome extension for electronic chessboards

Sort:
mx5driver

It happens as soon as I hit the connect button even when trying to create a game. So it's not just tournaments.

Rsava

I think I had that when using Chrome.

Can you try Edge? You can get the extension in the Chrome Web Store and it will install on Edge.

GeorgeGoodnight
mx5driver wrote:

It happens as soon as I hit the connect button even when trying to create a game. So it's not just tournaments.

It sounds like when you created the API token, you haven't toggled the option to allow access to the board. I got that when I first set it up. I deleted the token I created and then activated the toggle as mentioned when I created the new API. As far as I'm aware you can't change the options after the event, or if there is a way, I couldn't see it.

jewelmind

Trying to get Chessconnect to work on chess.com with a DGT Bluetooth Walnut e-board without success. Using Android - Samsung Galaxy Tab A7. Installed Kiwi Browser. Enabled Chessconnect extension. Selected DGT Bluetooth e-board in extension options. Opened chess.com in new tab with Extensions - Chessconnect tab still open beside it. Clicked white and brown button at bottom of left menu as shown in video on Chessconnect site and get an error message: "This Browser does not support the Web Serial API". What do I do?

jewelmind

I've got my DGT Bluetooth e-board working in chess.com on my Windows laptop. Works great overall - thanks Jorn and all who helped! Compared to Acid Ape there's only one quite important feature missing: When, following the audio announcement, I place an opponent's piece on the wrong square, there is a distinctive discordant beep on Acid Ape that tells me I've placed it wrong. With Chessconnect it seems there's just silence (unless I haven't enabled something?) and I'm at risk of proceeding with an incorrect board. I don't think I'd want to play a rated game without that wrong placement noise feature.

Would also prefer to use my Android tablet, but still get the API error (see my last post).

GeorgeGoodnight
jewelmind wrote:

I've got my DGT Bluetooth e-board working in chess.com on my Windows laptop. Works great overall - thanks Jorn and all who helped! Compared to Acid Ape there's only one quite important feature missing: When, following the audio announcement, I place an opponent's piece on the wrong square, there is a distinctive discordant beep on Acid Ape that tells me I've placed it wrong. With Chessconnect it seems there's just silence (unless I haven't enabled something?) and I'm at risk of proceeding with an incorrect board. I don't think I'd want to play a rated game without that wrong placement noise feature.

Would also prefer to use my Android tablet, but still get the API error (see my last post).

Hi, you get a misplacement announcement once you place your piece. I hope that helps.

jewelmind
GeorgeGoodnight wrote:

Hi, you get a misplacement announcement once you place your piece. I hope that helps.

I didn't hear one. I only misplaced one piece in one game. I'll try it again and see what happens. Is there an option to check somewhere to get the misplacement announcement?

GeorgeGoodnight
jewelmind wrote:
GeorgeGoodnight wrote:

Hi, you get a misplacement announcement once you place your piece. I hope that helps.

I didn't hear one. I only misplaced one piece in one game. I'll try it again and see what happens. Is there an option to check somewhere to get the misplacement announcement?

I've had it every time. So, just to be clear, your place you opponents piece on the wrong square, there is no announcement. But, once you make your own move the computer tells you which of your opponent's pieces is misplaced.

jewelmind
GeorgeGoodnight wrote:

I've had it every time. So, just to be clear, your place you opponents piece on the wrong square, there is no announcement. But, once you make your own move the computer tells you which of your opponent's pieces is misplaced.

Ah yes. I've just played a game and it "works" just as you said. I put "works" in inverted commas as it's not really working very well, is it? Acid Ape sounds a warning straight away if you misplace a piece. With Chessconnect, I might think for 5 minutes with a piece in the wrong place, then discover the error as I move, and have to start thinking all over again having wasted 5 minutes - I actually did that by accident in the game I just played with a bot. I do not want to have that happen in a rated game. Also, toward the end of the game I just played, Chessconnect failed to register a move and I had to go back to the screen - I think it disconnected for no apparent reason, an experience I haven't had yet with Acid Ape on Lichess.

So for me, Chessconnect at present is still only for bot games (which is something I couldn't do before so it's a great step forward) and I'll play my rated games on a board on Lichess with Acid Ape.

A suggestion Jorn if you're going to improve this - in a timed game the lengthy audio announcement of which piece is misplaced itself chews up time - all you need is a discordant beep like on Acid Ape and you can glance at the screen and instantly correct it. Much quicker.

GeorgeGoodnight
jewelmind wrote:
GeorgeGoodnight wrote:

I've had it every time. So, just to be clear, your place you opponents piece on the wrong square, there is no announcement. But, once you make your own move the computer tells you which of your opponent's pieces is misplaced.

Ah yes. I've just played a game and it "works" just as you said. I put "works" in inverted commas as it's not really working very well, is it? Acid Ape sounds a warning straight away if you misplace a piece. With Chessconnect, I might think for 5 minutes with a piece in the wrong place, then discover the error as I move, and have to start thinking all over again having wasted 5 minutes - I actually did that by accident in the game I just played with a bot. I do not want to have that happen in a rated game. Also, toward the end of the game I just played, Chessconnect failed to register a move and I had to go back to the screen - I think it disconnected for no apparent reason, an experience I haven't had yet with Acid Ape on Lichess.

So for me, Chessconnect at present is still only for bot games (which is something I couldn't do before so it's a great step forward) and I'll play my rated games on a board on Lichess with Acid Ape.

A suggestion Jorn if you're going to improve this - in a timed game the lengthy audio announcement of which piece is misplaced itself chews up time - all you need is a discordant beep like on Acid Ape and you can glance at the screen and instantly correct it. Much quicker.

I have Acid Ape and it is great. I have had occasions when my move wasn't recognised and I made it again on the board and it registered the second time. Making the move again on the board has worked on Chessconnect too. 
For me Chessconnect is a huge step forward and I'm so grateful for it. I do prefer to play on here. Before Chessconnect I was hardly using my DGT board.

jewelmind
GeorgeGoodnight wrote:

For me Chessconnect is a huge step forward and I'm so grateful for it. I do prefer to play on here. Before Chessconnect I was hardly using my DGT board.

I prefer to play on here, too. But for rated games the setup just has to be safe and reassuring. I actually have a Chessnut Air as well, but find myself playing chess.com rated games on the screen instead, as the Air is so small it just feels a bit visually cramped - a full tournament board seems to let my eyes relax with its spaciousness. So I'm really looking forward to at least playing bot games using Chessconnect with my DGT e-board on chess.com - will be truly heaven if the misplaced piece alert can be made instant on Chessconnect - I would have no problem using it for my rated games on chess.com then.

CFossa

I've also noticed that if I misplace the opponent's piece, I can find myself thinking for a few minutes, then making my move, and getting the announcement about the misplaced piece. The one thing you have to be careful of is return your piece to its last square first, then the opponents piece, otherwise your move is made immediately.

For me - chessconnect is a a game changer and definitely stable enough to play rated games on chess.com. Prior to chessconnect, I had not used my DGT board in months ... it just didn't work with chess.com.

GeorgeGoodnight

I think I'm going to spend some time on board vision skills. There should be no excuse, my board has indices too.

Rsava

Anyone using Chessconnect on a Linux based machine and if so, what flavor and what browser are you using?

jewelmind
GeorgeGoodnight wrote:

I think I'm going to spend some time on board vision skills. There should be no excuse, my board has indices too.

I can understand wanting to commit to putting pieces on the right squares in the first place, it makes sense. But are you saying that an instant alert of wrong piece placement would not be an improvement? All sorts of things happen when our time gets low. If there was an option to select on Chessconnect that said "Get instant audio alert for wrong piece placement" would you select it?

GeorgeGoodnight
jewelmind wrote:
GeorgeGoodnight wrote:

I think I'm going to spend some time on board vision skills. There should be no excuse, my board has indices too.

I can understand wanting to commit to putting pieces on the right squares in the first place, it makes sense. But are you saying that an instant alert of wrong piece placement would not be an improvement? All sorts of things happen when our time gets low. If there was an option to select on Chessconnect that said "Get instant audio alert for wrong piece placement" would you select it?

No, I'm not saying that. You are ;-)

jewelmind

What are you not saying George? I genuinely don't understand.