Forums

chronos chess clock

Sort:
EscherehcsE

I'm not in the market for a new clock right now, but I wouldn't even consider getting a Chronos until I see people getting their Chronos clocks repaired in a timely manner. The last thing I want is to get stuck with an expensive door stop.

FrankHelwig

FWIW, I got an original Chronos back in the 90s and it still works like a charm. I also have a Chronos II which I got last year as a backup when it became apparent that they were running into supply issues, and that one works fine as well. Perhaps recent production runs have introduced quality issues that didn't exist before?

FrankHelwig

Out of curiosity, has anyone tried the miniSamTimer? Currently shipping (according to samtimer.com) and supposedly supports at least all the chess functions available in the Chronos GX...

Same price as a Chronos, but the small size makes it an interesting travel option. I don't know, but perhaps this is the successor to the Chronos GX?

matzo

Ipcress12,

that Chronos GX looks alright in pictures, but it feels "cheap" and the digital display will give you a headache. 

ipcress12

I wouldn't even consider getting a Chronos until I see people getting their Chronos clocks repaired in a timely manner. The last thing I want is to get stuck with an expensive door stop.

EscherehcsE: That occurred to me but I didn't hear about the repair problems until after I bought mine. I was going on the word-of-mouth about how rock solid the Chronos clocks were.

Then it was too late.

ipcress12

Perhaps recent production runs have introduced quality issues that didn't exist before?

FrankHelwig: That's my suspicion. I believe my dead Chronos must have been at the tail-end of their last production output.

Something very wrong has occured with SamTimer / Chronos. It wouldn't surprise me that it showed up in the last Chronos clocks off their production line.

Out of curiosity, has anyone tried the miniSamTimer? Currently shipping (according to samtimer.com) and supposedly supports at least all the chess functions available in the Chronos GX...

The miniSamTimer is the Scrabble version of the Chronos GX. My clock is the same 6 1/2 inch length. The miniStamTimer contains all the chess settings too.

From their web page, SamTimer still has plenty of the miniSamTimers at $139. If I trusted them, I might have gone for it.

ipcress12

that Chronos GX looks alright in pictures, but it feels "cheap" and the digital display will give you a headache.

IM matzo: I assume you mean this ZMF-II I linked:

I'm aware that the ZM case is thick plastic and not thick aluminum. I've read the complaints that the LEDs are harder on the eyes than LCD.

I'll refer you to one of the great perfectionist madmen of the chess world, Izmet of the Best Chessmen Ever website, who is clearly positive of the ZMF-II, though the Chronos remains his favorite.

Watch video here.

Love this guy! Don't stop with his clock review. His whole blog is a pleasure.

ipcress12

FWIW, I ordered the black/green ZMF-II from Amazon today. I'll post what it's like when it comes.

I'd rather have my Chronos working. But the ZMF will do until the Chronos returns from repair, or if it returns, or if it returns and remains in working order. At this point I feel little confidence in any of those scenarios.

According to the agreement you sign when you send in a Chronos for repair, you accept that it will take 4-18 weeks to be returned. In the meantime they accept no phone calls or email.

This is a seriously screwed-up company.

FrankHelwig
ipcress12 wrote:

I'll refer you to one of the great perfectionist madmen of the chess world, Izmet of the Best Chessmen Ever website, who is clearly positive of the ZMF-II, though the Chronos remains his favorite.

Love this guy! Don't stop with his clock review. His whole blog is a pleasure.

I second that. His blog is great. And the set he designed is gorgeous.

Ch3ck2Check

OK I have a Chronos I (the long one with buttons) and I'm trying to program it for a specific time control but can't seem to find the right function to do it -not sure if it's even possible. Here's what I'd like it to do: Three time controls with the first being (1) 40 moves in 120 minutes followed by (2) 20 moves in 60 minutes followed by (3) 15 minutes of sudden death and a 30 second Fischer delay starting at move 1. I would also like the display to show the move count. Help!

guardianx9

dont ever get the dgt clock. if u play blitz 5 min.. because u will spend a few second longer of ur life time to reset the clock.. unless ur e the type that dont mind wasting extra second of ur life reseting the clock after eat game..  by lifting up the block press reset then press play button a few times.then place the clock down.. repeat for life.. vs the chronos u press the reset button twice and ur done.. of course the chronos cost more so factor in the cost vs the second lost of ur life over the lifetime of the clock. well if u play long games this reset fuction is not as tedious..

jv2080
guardianx9 wrote:

dont ever get the dgt clock. if u play blitz 5 min.. because u will spend a few second longer of ur life time to reset the clock.. unless ur e the type that dont mind wasting extra second of ur life reseting the clock after eat game..  by lifting up the block press reset then press play button a few times.then place the clock down.. repeat for life.. vs the chronos u press the reset button twice and ur done.. of course the chronos cost more so factor in the cost vs the second lost of ur life over the lifetime of the clock. well if u play long games this reset fuction is not as tedious..

Nonsense. It takes 2-3 seconds max to reset the DGT clocks. And you don't have to press the on/off a few times. I know because I own both clocks. You are exaggerating. You clearly prefer Chronos over it. Which is fine. That's the title of the thread. Perhaps your partner can reset it while you setup the pieces for the next game, which takes way longer than 3 seconds.

Micahsmith
Ch3ck2Check wrote:

OK I have a Chronos I (the long one with buttons) and I'm trying to program it for a specific time control but can't seem to find the right function to do it -not sure if it's even possible. Here's what I'd like it to do: Three time controls with the first being (1) 40 moves in 120 minutes followed by (2) 20 moves in 60 minutes followed by (3) 15 minutes of sudden death and a 30 second Fischer delay starting at move 1. I would also like the display to show the move count. Help!

There is no such thing as Fischer delay. There is increment, which is also commonly known as Fischer and bonus timing, and two different forms of delay, Bronstein delay and "simple" delay (also commonly known as US delay). The two forms of delay are mathematically equivalent but differ on how the delay is displayed.