Dubrovnik 1950, the definitive reproduction?

Fer8799

Hi collector friends.

I want to share with you my new adquistion, it is a Dubrovnik 1950 repro by Staunton Castle.

The work done is in my opinion spectacular, the pieces are extremely similar to the original ones, and they have been finished to have a delicious "old style".

They are heavy weighted, and it's is pleasure to play with it. My new favorite repro!!
Besides my photos (sorry for the quality, they are taken with a mobile phone and quickly, but don't hesite to ask for more, and I will upload them asap), you can check here for more.

https://stauntoncastle.com/products/reproduction-1950-dubronvink-series-vintage-antiqued-chess-set?_pos=1&_sid=930fa4f14&_ss=r

Fer8799

As additional info, here is a link to a video of the original pieces: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgiSkVa3dUc&t=36s

ColinStapczynski

Great post! I also purchased this repro, and it is easily my second favorite 1950 Dubrovnik (NOJ being my #1 overall)...I do prefer the antiqued look of the white and black pieces on the Staunton Castle repro over the NOJ, and I think it is a fantastic set!

Thanks for sharing

Ronbo710

Love mine ...

lighthouse

Fact that he made this from photo's, really say alot about how good the craftmanship is !

I like the knight's from Staunton Castle , This is a very nice set and half  the price of NOJ .

Ronbo710
lighthouse wrote:

Fact that he made this from photo's, really say alot about how good the craftmanship is !

I like the knight's from Staunton Castle , This is a very nice set and half  the price of NOJ .

Yes it's nice to see Dubrovnik Knights that don't look like unicorns happy.png 

gf3

Fer8799
lighthouse wrote:

Yes, SC have incredible carvers, I think he has the most beautiful productions nowadays. The Benevento knights sold in HoS are made by them, and althought for me they are marvelous, they are too expensive, imho ,for being a brand new chessmen.

Regarding the dubro 1950 repro, even not taking into account the price, for me this knights are by far more accurate to the original ones than in the noj repro.

sound67

Very nice set indeed. The product photos for the Staunton Castle  set looked ugly, but I'm pleased to see that they turn out *much* better in real life. Certainly a good alternative to NOJ, these look certainly as good. (from the photos). 

IpswichMatt

Must admit they look really good, even though I don't usually like artificially antiqued pieces.

Eyechess

Seeing that you can request this set without the antiquing, this is really nice.

I agree that this is definitely an alternative to the Noj Original 1950 set.

lighthouse
Fer8799 wrote:
lighthouse wrote:

Yes, SC have incredible carvers, I think he has the most beautiful productions nowadays. The Benevento knights sold in HoS are made by them, and althought for me they are marvelous, they are too expensive, imho ,for being a brand new chessmen.

Regarding the dubro 1950 repro, even not taking into account the price, for me this knights are by far more accurate to the original ones than in the noj repro.

would have too agreed with you here ! The knights are very good .

KnightsForkCafe
IpswichMatt wrote:

Must admit they look really good, even though I don't usually like artificially antiqued pieces.

I agree with you on that point. Wonder what they will look like another 60 years down the road? I personally like the 2nd version of the Dubrovnik more than the original 1950 Dubrovnik. That's just me. I do like the 1950 Dubrovnik though.

magictwanger

That set is really a beauty......Just as a point of interest,the Era Retro Tal pieces are somewhat similar in the finishing of that particular set.A nice antique-ish look to them.I have both the Era Retro set and an NOJ Tal set......Both different enough to compliment each other.

Enjoy your set!

Fer8799

magictwanger escribió:

That set is really a beauty......Just as a point of interest,the Era Retro Tal pieces are somewhat similar in the finishing of that particular set.A nice antique-ish look to them.I have both the Era Retro set and an NOJ Tal set......Both different enough to compliment each other.

Enjoy your set!

thanks. yes, I also have the Tal set of eraretro, it's great!