Forums

French Defence Books?

Sort:
Marcus-101

Thanks! And I'll never get through all of them.. I think I'm going to compare their views on lines that I'm unsure about, and after that look at lines I find interesting!

TwoMove

Eingorn's "Rock solid repetoire for black" covers most of the French lines you were interested in, and also something against 1.d4 built around 1...e6. Doesn't cover Rubinstein, of recent books think only Vitugov's "French reloaded" does, which you know about already. Vitugov doesn't show anything amazing but it is hard to do so with an opening like the Rubinstein. 

Marcus-101

lol thats true enough

Noreaster

I think the best book for players looking for an intro to the French is McDonald's 'How to Play Against 1e4.' I have read it and he explains the main ideas and provides a basic but very workable French repertoire. I have a few other books on the French but my plan is to stick with the lines in McDonald's book for 1 year. Then I will add more lines as needed.....kind of like growing into an opening........

InfiniteFlash
Noreaster wrote:

I think the best for players looking for an intro, is McDonald ideas.  My plan is to stick with McDonalds for 1 year. Then I will add more as needed.....kind of like growing.