Forums

Getting Chessmaster 9000 to Work in Windows 10

janram

Hello Has anybody tried running cm 9000 on a virtual box??

Nimzowitts

I have not, However In terms of windows 10  I do not think that a box is the issue. GOG games has a set up file to work with win 10. See previous discussion.

EscherehcsE
janram wrote:

I haven't either, and I feel bad that I've never played around with VMs - I think it could be fun. My hardware is a bit old, so I'm not sure I have enough oomph to run a VM properly. However, if it was just to set up a Win XP or Win 95 VM, I might be able to swing it. Maybe one of these days, but so far, no...

Nimzowits

I wonder...... would a vm box be useable?

Nimzowits

Another old game I liked was Starsiege, I think I will mess a vm box with that game when I find the time.

EscherehcsE
Nimzowits wrote:

I wonder...... would a vm box be useable?

I guess. When you create the VM, you have to assign some of your hard drive space and RAM to the VM. So as long as you have enough of those two items to run both your host system and the VM, it should work. Oh, and you'll also need the OS for the VM (Win 95, Win 98, whatever) and a copy of the program to run in the VM.

Nimzowits

In theory I suppose. However having worked with a VM box with Kasparov's Gambit everything worked except the audio when a move was made. All other sound effects worked perfectly.

gwa000
janram wrote:

yes, i have, but only to install it so i can get see where the files are installed.  the game appears to work fine.

i'm trying to get CM 9000 to run on my dad's Win 10 system.  can not install the game on his system due to the copy protection.  i have copied the files (in My Documents and Program Files) on the XP VM system to separate XP, 7 and 10 VM systems.  all work if you get around the CD check.

the only thing i have noticed out of the ordinary is that starting the Classroom in Windows 10 there are 4 tabs (Intermediate, Advanced, Josh, and a blank one).  on the XP and 7 VMs the tabs are Beginning, Intermediate, Advanced and Josh.  so the Windows 10 Intermediate tab has the Beginning tutorials, the Windows 10 Advanced tab is the Intermediate tutorials and so on.

does anyone have CM 9000 installed under Windows 10 and could they verify that they see this same behavior.

thanks!!

Nimzowits

GOG games used to have a file there that installed cm9000 for you perfectly. However I do not think the link is still there. Research the whole of this thread you might find it listed.

EscherehcsE
gwa000 wrote:
janram wrote:

yes, i have, but only to install it so i can get see where the files are installed.  the game appears to work fine.

i'm trying to get CM 9000 to run on my dad's Win 10 system.  can not install the game on his system due to the copy protection.  i have copied the files (in My Documents and Program Files) on the XP VM system to separate XP, 7 and 10 VM systems.  all work if you get around the CD check.

the only thing i have noticed out of the ordinary is that starting the Classroom in Windows 10 there are 4 tabs (Intermediate, Advanced, Josh, and a blank one).  on the XP and 7 VMs the tabs are Beginning, Intermediate, Advanced and Josh.  so the Windows 10 Intermediate tab has the Beginning tutorials, the Windows 10 Advanced tab is the Intermediate tutorials and so on.

does anyone have CM 9000 installed under Windows 10 and could they verify that they see this same behavior.

thanks!!

I'm a little confused about all the tabs and everything. I won't have access to my Win10 machine until tomorrow. I might be able to look at my PC then, and maybe all the tabs will make sense.

Regarding the copy protection, I might need to PM you tomorrow.

EscherehcsE
gwa000 wrote:
janram wrote:

<snip>

thanks!!

I installed CM9000 on Win10 from the original disks. (My Setup.exe file on Disk 1 does not have copy protection.) I'd never noticed it before, but yes, I see the same weird effect with the Classroom tabs as you see.

Hmm, I can't remember if I applied the CM9000 patches to my Win10 installation. Maybe the Classroom tabs would be fixed if the patches were applied? idk (Whoops, I guess I did apply the patches; My install says Version 1.02a, which I think is the latest patch.)

It would be interesting for someone to install CM9000 from the GOG Games digital download to see if GOG fixed that tab glitch.

Don't forget that when running engine tournaments in CM9000 on Win 10, I've never been able to run the tournaments for more than about 5 hours without the program crashing. I don't know if you'd still get this crashing effect if you just used the program normally (playing games, using tutorials, etc.).

awt3sigma
Hi