Forums

If there were only 1 chess book you could reccomend what would it be ?

Sort:
AndyClifton

Pawn Structure Chess--Andy Soltis

Complete Chess Strategy--Ludek Pachman

(okay, so that's 2...I couldn't make up my mind) Smile

Grouper78

Unorthodox Chess Openings -- Eric Schiller.

AndyClifton

eek!

DrSpudnik
AndyClifton wrote:

eek!

You see a mouse? Laughing

AndyClifton

More like I smell a rat. Smile

rnunesmagalhaes

None of these books seem to be available on Kindle, and this is true for other chess books as well. Why is that?

varelse1

Silman's Complete Endgame Chess Course.

I don't care if you're Magnus Carlsen, or you just learned the moves yesterday. This book literally has something for Anyone in it.

AndyClifton

Perhaps we first should ask Magnus about that...

Grouper78

I think endgame study is overrated.  I just learned to play chess a few weeks ago and haven't played a single endgame yet. 

Everyone, however, plays openings... 

AndyClifton

Never argue with Sinatra.

taffy76
Grouper78 wrote:

I think endgame study is overrated.  I just learned to play chess a few weeks ago and haven't played a single endgame yet. 

Are you baiting for trolls?

waffllemaster
Grouper78 wrote:

Gotta be honest, you're not really wowing me with your credentials.

varelse1
pfren wrote:

Silman's endgame course is a very fine book- factly, it's just about the only Silman book I would recommend to someone. It won't substitute any of the endgame classics (Keres, Shereshevsky, Averbakh) or the stunning Dvoretsky endgame manual, but it CAN be used as your single endgame learning source.

Sorry to say that I do not regard his middlegame books too highly... I find them plagiarizing, and largely flawed. Get Pachman instead, you can hardly go wrong with such stuff.

Now that you bring it up, Pfren, I think Silman's books owe more of their success to the large print than the writing style or instructional value.

But that's okay. Because I think the large print rocks!!!

Lets hope other chess authors figure out that little secret.Wink

Immoney5252

I think this topic is beneficial for everyone......Grouper78 is not helping that cause.....start another thread with silly postings...thanks

SmyslovFan
varelse1 wrote:
pfren wrote:

Silman's endgame course is a very fine book- factly, it's just about the only Silman book I would recommend to someone. It won't substitute any of the endgame classics (Keres, Shereshevsky, Averbakh) or the stunning Dvoretsky endgame manual, but it CAN be used as your single endgame learning source.

Sorry to say that I do not regard his middlegame books too highly... I find them plagiarizing, and largely flawed. Get Pachman instead, you can hardly go wrong with such stuff.

Now that you bring it up, Pfren, I think Silman's books owe more of their success to the large print than the writing style or instructional value.

But that's okay. Because I think the large print rocks!!!

Lets hope other chess authors figure out that little secret.

Does it have the words, "Don't Panic" printed in large letters on the back as well?  I understand that's an absolute guarantee the book will be a galactic bestseller!

1024x768
pfren wrote:

For the record, if you are interested in the Reti book, you can read it for free in fully electronic form at http://www.openchessbooks.org/

All games with their annotations can be downloaded and viewed with your favorable pgn viewer.

much valuable post.thanks.

apawndown

In recommending a book, a lot depends on the player's level.  For a total beginner,  for example, "Bobby Fischer Teaches Chess"  ain't bad at all.

Next level:  tactics AND endgames.  The one single volume that made a big impression on me was Capablanca's "Chess Manual"  (That was many years ago so I'm not sure of the exact title).

AndyClifton

Lasker had the Chess Manual; Capa had Chess Fundamentals.

apawndown

You're right. Thanks, Andy!

PaulNRJones

I would definitely recommend "My System" by Aron Nimzowitsch. He developed the concepts of restrain, blockade, destroy; prophylaxis; overprotection; mysterious rook moves; and more. GMs still brush up their technique with it. He's one of the founders of hypermodernism. If I could only take one chess book to a desert island it would be this one.