Forums

Out of print Winning Pawn Structures book

Sort:
BryPin

Understanding Pawn Play in Chess by Drazen Marovic

Amazon.com

instead of your first choice

sftac

Well, your tactics rating is less than half that of the original poster (I think he's better qualified to choose something from Amazon).

sftac

BryPin

@ sftac gee thanks for your 2 cents.  Love your online chess rating too.  It must mean you can contribute nothing to help but just peck on others.

Just trying to help another player, and you?

b5squared

This is a shared account.  I actually want the book for my sons who are rated 2100+ and 1800+ USCF.  The Baburin book was recommended by their chess coach.

sftac

"shared" account?  whoa!

sftac

fburton

Peck peck.

wombadom

What in the world is in THIS book that you can't puzzle together from a couple of other pawn structure books?

mldavis617

Pawn Power in Chess - Hans Kmoch (classic)

Pawn Structure Chess - Soltis

b5squared
wombadom wrote:

What in the world is in THIS book that you can't puzzle together from a couple of other pawn structure books?

I really don't know.  It was recommended by a grandmaster who is teaching my kids.

OldPatzerMike
wombadom wrote:

I can answer this question. This thread is so old that it's possible nobody still cares about it, but here goes anyway.

I studied IQP positions from "Pawn Structure Chess" by Soltis, "Chess Structures: A Grandmaster Guide" by Flores, "Complete Chess Strategy" by Pachman, "Understanding Pawn Play in Chess" by Marović, and several lesser sources. I put together a file detailing the plans and techniques for both sides, and thought the result was very good.

Then I got a copy of Baburin. On the plus side, I found that my file actually was quite accurate. But it quickly became apparent that the other sources were superficial by comparison. It's almost unbelievable how many important insights Baburin gives that are not contained in the other sources. If you want to understand how to play IQP positions, this book is indispensable.

GWTR
OldPatzerMike wrote:
wombadom wrote:

I can answer this question. This thread is so old that it's possible nobody still cares about it, but here goes anyway.

I studied IQP positions from "Pawn Structure Chess" by Soltis, "Chess Structures: A Grandmaster Guide" by Flores, "Complete Chess Strategy" by Pachman, "Understanding Pawn Play in Chess" by Marović, and several lesser sources. I put together a file detailing the plans and techniques for both sides, and thought the result was very good.

Then I got a copy of Baburin. On the plus side, I found that my file actually was quite accurate. But it quickly became apparent that the other sources were superficial by comparison. It's almost unbelievable how many important insights Baburin gives that are not contained in the other sources. If you want to understand how to play IQP positions, this book is indispensable.

Thanks for the info.  It might be available with a subscription to Scribd.

OldPatzerMike
GWTR wrote:

Thanks for the info.  It might be available with a subscription to Scribd.

It is available on scribd. 

wombadom

Okay. I get it. I've had a couple of books that really brought it all together for me like that.Those books are jewels.

BonTheCat
OldPatzerMike wrote:
wombadom wrote:

Totally agree! The others are good, but Baburin set to work exclusively on the IQP structure, and shared many insights not in the others. I too learned a lot from this book.