The Pieces of the 1992 Manila Olympiad

cgrau
Ronbo710 wrote:

Another great arrival !!! Your collection is  becoming a history of the Game .

Many thanks, Ron!

cgrau
magictwanger wrote:

Nice set and absolutely "perfect" back ground photos,to demonstrate to my wife why I don't have enough chess sets,at only 17!-

Thanks, MT!!

cgrau
9kick9 wrote:

Its a nice set but, I don't care for the Knights & Rooks myself. Thanks for the pics though!!!!

Thanks, Kick! Glad you enjoyed the pics!

cgrau
goodknightmike wrote:

Congrats Chuck on your historic Manila acquisition. And your fabulous presentation.

Many thanks, Mike!!

Eyechess

Yes, this is indeed a very nice and historic set.  Chuck is becoming one of a very few collectors and experts on Chess Equipment.

liml

This is quite beautiful and carries lots of personal nostalgia. The first time I saw Kasparov was in that Chess Olympiad. He had never seen him smile. 

cgrau
Eyechess wrote:

Yes, this is indeed a very nice and historic set.  Chuck is becoming one of a very few collectors and experts on Chess Equipment.

Many thanks for the kind words, Ron!

cgrau
liml wrote:

This is quite beautiful and carries lots of personal nostalgia. The first time I saw Kasparov was in that Chess Olympiad. He had never seen him smile. 

Thanks, Lawrence. I'm glad you have a personal connection to this set and Olympiad.

snyder-106

It’s a very nice set, Chuck. Thank you for sharing it with us!

Zimpson-85
Wow , what a great chess set !
cgrau
snyder-106 wrote:

It’s a very nice set, Chuck. Thank you for sharing it with us!

Thanks, Michael! You're very welcome. I'll bet you picked up some interesting sets in your world travels!

cgrau
Zimpson-85 wrote:
Wow , what a great chess set !

Many thanks, Oyvind! Only fifty were ever made, and they were given to Filipino masters and grandmasters. My friend had to make a lot of connections to find one that was available. 

liml
cgrau wrote:
liml wrote:

This is quite beautiful and carries lots of personal nostalgia. The first time I saw Kasparov was in that Chess Olympiad. He had never seen him smile. 

Thanks, Lawrence. I'm glad you have a personal connection to this set and Olympiad.

Given the rarity of this set, I'll wait for the reproduction. 

Many6Packs

Have not posted any comments in over a year or more.

Chuck, I am and always have been a big fan of you and your acquisitions.

Which carrier do you use to insure the lot?

And have you actually appraised the lot?

cgrau
Many6Packs wrote:

Have not posted any comments in over a year or more.

Chuck, I am and always have been a big fan of you and your acquisitions.

Which carrier do you use to insure the lot?

And have you actually appraised the lot?

Many thanks, Packs.

I don't carry any special riders for my collection.

I have an appraisal for one of my sets, but none of the others.