Forums

Reserved passed pawn

Sort:
bemcertinho

In Chess Mentor's "Thinking in Schemes" (Knight versus bishop Part 2) link

http://www.chess.com/chessmentor/view_lesson.html?id=6013

there is a comment: "Creating the so called reserved passed pawn."

Can anyone clarify a beginner like me which are the distinctive features granting a pawn such calling "reserved passed pawn". Where lies the reservation in such cases?

Thank very much for any help

bemcertinho

Calamondin, from the support staff, has kindly answered:

bemcertinho,

I noticed no one has yet to add to your forum thread. In researching this, the closest reference I could find was in reference to the pawns as soldiers - in scenarios where you would have an advance company and a reserve company. In the case of this Chess Mentor lesson, since this was the second passed pawn to be set up, I believe the phrase would be appropriate here.

I hope this is helpful.

All the best,

Calamondin
Support Staff

Scottrf

I think the important feature is that it's a passed pawn in waiting. It's not a passed pawn yet, but will be if axb6 (i.e. if Nxb6, axb6, a7 and it will promote), so as the course says the bishop is tied to the defence of the b6 pawn.

bemcertinho

Scottrf, many thanks. I'm a beginner. Now I see something that gets impending, after the advance of the pawn to a3. Yes, now I see, but only after your wise advice. Maybe this turns out to be crystal clear to someone experienced. It is the simple move Knight takes Pawn. The bishop, or the king, must keep an eye on that possibility and this is somewhat tying, which is good, after all. Restrict moves is the whole trick in the endgame. Thus considered, the promotion, the passing of the pawn, gets "reserved", being triggered by the threat Nxb3 (I use to get confused with the coordinates, too), as soon as allowed (or forced). Beginners feed a mental prohibition to trade Knights for Pawns, even when that's the winning move! Up to your comment, I hadn't even figured out such possibility (Nxb3). Thank you very much. Now I see it! Adding both contributions, yours and Calamondin's, light is splendidly made!

Scottrf

No problem. Of course I meant a2 not a7.

bemcertinho

Scottrf:

I suppose I just discovered the origins of the expression "reserved passed pawn". Hans Kmoch  may be the true creator of the original concept, if I came to understand correctly. Kmoch named a pawn in the circumstances we are considering, a SNEAKER. People in chess programming have renamed sneaker to HIDDEN PASSED PAWN . From "hidden passed pawn" to "reserved passed pawn", the leap in bringing mess is a tiny one. I must compliment you for your keen feeling of importance. As Kmoch would say, the considered pawn is a "rammed" pawn, currently, just waiting to become a passed pawn, by means of some impending sacrifice just beside. I must confess you that I considered the "bunch" of neologisms founded by Kmoch extremely interesting, not for the words, but precisely for the patterns to which he calls our attention, making use of his "really rich dictionary". As I came to guess, the rather weird Kmoch's dictionary has proven to be an invaluable tool in chess programming. I'm sure you'll like to take a look at Kmoch's dictionary, if you haven't already seen it. To me, I must confess, was something close to amazing, especially when I met the concept of sneaker and came to connect to the intriguing "reserved passed pawn". Have wonderful days, Scott and, once more, thank you very much for your help at the right moment when I was needing some.

Scottrf

No worries ^

cristobalaudisio

what do this have to do to you accusing me to violate conduct in a game, i always play fair