Forums

Bronstein Queen Sac.

Sort:
ItsEoin

The Bronstein Variation of the King's Indian Defense involves a Queen Sacrifice in it - how cool is that?! 

Has anybody ever played it? How'd they get on?

Here's the line: 

Here's a game in the line, played by Seirawan vs. Kasparov in 1989:

Quite cool, isn't it? I'd love to attempt to play this some day.

mambomax1

My opinion is that by queen sacrifing in this line of king's indian, black no has chance of winning but only of draw for this reason, i prfer another line of king's indian: mar del plata variant, with knight moving in e8 treathening pawn in f5in this mode withe bishop not isdangerous because bishop of the black is defended protected by the knight.

Rational_Optimist

Bronstien played it for the first time in chess candidates 1956 against Spassky and lost.

http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1033926

ItsEoin

I think it looks kinda funky. Black gets the Bishop pair + a pawn for his Queen, and given that he hasn't lost a pawn yet should be able to hold his fortress against White's lady for some time ahead. 

Worth looking at imo, anyway.

Scottrf

Two pawns it looks like because of the Nc2 threat.

ItsEoin
Scottrf wrote:

Two pawns it looks like because of the Nc2 threat.

Yep. My bad. I'd forgotten that Black got a pawn with Nxg3, and was thinking of the c4 pawn. Thanks.

JJZ03

It looks like Black sacs his Queen. I think his Queen was Active. 9 1/2 is the Queens Value. The Queen is traded for 2 Minor and a pawn. So he is 2 1/2 Points Down. But the Knight is Active. 4 Points Since the Knight is like a Queen so he gains more. Down 1 1/2 Pawn. So White is up on material, but needs to get active and somehow trade off the Knight. If not, the knight will dominate.