Forums

Easiest opening to learn for beginners ..

Sort:
FLchessplayer

King's Gambit, huh? And you would actually teach this to a bare-bones beginner ... someone who had just learned the moves maybe a few days before? 

FLchessplayer

For someone who is JUST STARTING OUT in chess, I maintain that the Colle is probably the easiest and safest of all openngs to try and learn ... 

For a fairly in-depth article ... that's also 100% free ... please go to - 
 http://www.worldchessacademy.com/learningchess02.htm. (Many links - from there.) 

buckeyeball

I am trying to learn Philadors defence. it kind of easy.

The_Gavinator
jetfighter13 wrote:

The King's Gambit is easy enough, get the pieces pointing at f7 and then attack

Bro stop with the King's Gambit, it is easy to stop and you throw away a pawn.

EbenezerDrood
The_Gavinator wrote:
jetfighter13 wrote:

The King's Gambit is easy enough, get the pieces pointing at f7 and then attack

Bro stop with the King's Gambit, it is easy to stop and you throw away a pawn.

As opposed to being easy to stop and throwing away a tempo?  Or two?  Or a queen?

The_Gavinator

What do you mean ebenezer drood, idk what you're even talking about?

IrrationalTiger

Why not just teach basic development with the idea of taking the center, instead of teaching systematic and robotic play in the opening (first we set up this structure, and only think thereafter)?  While I agree with you in that beginners will get crushed starting out in simple and open positions, it's better than having them only see one type of position and having a very shallow exposure to the basics of chess.  At the beginning stages of chess, shouldn't the opening almost be completely ignored other than basic principles, anyway?  Endgames, endgames, and more endgames are the best way to build a base for a new chess player - it's crucial to learn how the pieces work together instead of being told where to move them to get safely into the middlegame.

It seems like there are two frequently employed methods of teaching chess these days to beginners - focusing on endgames and understanding how the pieces work with each other and focusing on flashy tactics and mates.  One produces a neverending stream of 1400s who play the King's Gambit and spend their whole career trying to get the Bxh7+ sacrifice, the other kills interest for some and creates strong masters out of the rest.

Ben_Dubuque

yeah and just because you give away a pawn doesn't mean you don't get something in return, I tend to like the position I get in the KG, and if you would accept my challange (which I would never lower myself to those cheaters) I would show you that you get a dynamic advantage rather than a passive advantage

Ben_Dubuque

and How is the KG easy to stop

Ben_Dubuque

sure. I accept

FLchessplayer
jetfighter13 wrote:

and How is the KG easy to stop?

Play against Fritz 13, and you will be stopped cold ... every time. 

AlCzervik
FLchessplayer wrote:
jetfighter13 wrote:

and How is the KG easy to stop?

Play against Fritz 13, and you will be stopped cold ... every time. 

Sure. If you're playing against a computer. Or a Master. For many non-masters, this is sound.

FLchessplayer

And all of this misses my original point ... to wit, one of the easiest openings for a RAW BEGINNER to learn ... is the Colle. 

FLchessplayer

And I have played the King's Gambit myself ... hundreds of times in blitz. And I know that occasionally I have lost to a player 1000 points below me ... when things go wrong in a KG, it gets nasty, really quick. 

ratatouie

sign me up!!!

MSC157

I started with this one:

The_Gavinator

That, the Italian Game, is what most beginners should play. It simply develops pieces, allows them to castle, and have a good game.

MSC157
pfren wrote:

This is the well-known inaccuracy which allows 4...Nxe4 with a good game for Black- although Black's best line is not the one most authorities suggest.

Yeah, true! But we're talking about beginners. After 5.O-O Nxc3 6.dxc3 Bc5? 7.Ng5 O-O? 8.Qh5 and possibilities for quick mate.

FLchessplayer
pfren wrote:

You simply don't teach openings to your students- period and fullstop.

I have coached a few GM's, but I never bothered to show them openings.

Just shaping up their playing style, and learning them how to deal with complex strategical and tactical setups. They formed their opening repertoire themselves, AFTER they have achieved a personal playing style.

I can't see you letting a raw beginner have opening disaster after opening disaster ... and you would never intervene and offer advice? (I find that one hard to even believe.) I certainly would not call it coaching.

You wanna find out what real coaching is, go out and WATCH/OBSERVE what they do. No facet of the game (any game, football, baseball, etc) is left out. From first steps, to dealing with an advanced player, really good coaches seem to be able to do it all. 

I think that chess coaching should be no different. 

FLchessplayer
alexlaw wrote:

@National Master

Although you have much more coaching experience (30 years!), I have to disagree. I think your question needs to be reworded as: 'which opening(s) can beginners last longest against pros, rather than 'easiest opening to learn for beginners'.

You have your thoughts, I have mine. 

Probably another easy opening to learn is the Giuoco Piano ... as you develop pieces simply, to their natural squares. But if you play that way, they have to have one line for the French, one line for the Sicilian, one line for the Caro-Kann, on line for the Modern, one line for the Alekhine's Defense, etc. 

Whereas - with the Colle - you teach them the FUNDAMENTALS of chess. (Opening principles.) (The first link is to an entire website dedicated to teaching the openings ... the second one is an explanation of my own personal system in chess. It is unique, and differs from both what most Americans teach and the "Russian School of Chess.") 

It sounds like - to me - that you have very little experience actually taking young charges to a tournament, where I have done it more times than I can count. 

One last time - my article was aimed at the raw beginner. I have actually set down and taught someone the moves ... more times than I can recall. And thanks to my own "Beginner's Chess Course," (which Yahoo credited as being one of the most popular downloads in all of GeoCities, before GC closed!); I have taught countless others to play chess, via the Internet.