Forums

Good chess openings

Sort:
rishi12341

I am really bad at chess openings what is the best one?Also could u guys tell me about the dragon pawn opening?

t_taylor

do you mean the sicilian dragon?

rishi12341

Ya i think i might of meant silicon dragon

AnonymousP

There really isn't a "best" opening. It really just depends on what type of game you like to play. If you want one that is pretty simple to learn, I recommend the Four Knights Opening. Very basic and safe, allowing you to develop a decent, but sometimes dull, middlegame.

Expertise87

Openings don't ignore your opponent's moves. You can't just develop your pieces a certain way ignoring what your opponent is doing.

Make threats and respond to your opponent's threats. Develop pieces where they do something (Bishops can pin Knights, control the center, defend, or protect the King from g2, Knights don't like to hang out on the side of the board, castle quickly, Rooks like to be on open files, etc.)

t_taylor

youtube has good videos on different openings.  I think the best is to decide on a few that work against what most of your opponents like to play.

rishi12341

but what about the one i showed at the top

????

BattleManager

Most of the time black will probably stop you from getting that configuration but you're already thinking correctly because in that diagram you control the center, connected the rooks, your king is safe, the pieces are geared towards the center, etc...basically you're following opening rules and that's good.

Fear_ItseIf

Dragon Pawn opening and Silicon Dragon :)

For now i suggest you focus on tactics until youre at least 1400, preferably 1600. By that time you should have a better understanding of the significance of opening lines.

ivandh
rishi12341 a écrit :

????

See post #5.

SmyslovFan

Rishi, if you can reach the position in the diagram as white, you've won the opening. 

See if you can find My System by Aron Nimzowitsch (also spelled Nimzovich in some books) in your local library. If you find it, study the first few chapters and try out what you've learned there!

It's well worth the effort!

ThrillerFan
rishi12341 wrote:

????

What you listed up to has zero validity.  Black has to make moves as well, and I'm assuming Black didn't play 1...Nh6, 2...Ng8, 3...Nh6, 4...Ng8, etc.

No one position can apply to all opening responses.

For instance, you have e4 and d4 played by White.  Let's say you start with 1.e4.  After 1.e4 e6, or 1.e4 c6, or 1.e4 d6, or 1.e4 g6, etc, 2.d4 is best and recommended.

After 1.e4 Nf6, I wouldn't recommend 2.d4.  1.e4 e5, 2.d4 isn't "bad" like 1.e4 Nf6 2.d4, but it's not even remotely close to being White's best 2nd move either.

CaiDavis

I think it's good for a back rank mate. The troubles of this formation are twofold.

1.    The center pawns are in the way.

2.   I never castle. It could trap the king.

Also, you have to consider that the black side has to move too.

Firahman11
[COMMENT DELETED]
Firahman11

ashton lee from florida!

Frown