Forums

how to get into the stonewall

Sort:
DRcheckmate

Hello i just saw a chess.com video on the stonewall and i thought it was interesting one of them said that you could get into it with french and f4 and stuff but it didnt say anything about the caro kann this is the setup 

as you can see the caro kann has c6 and d5 

whitch are 2 main moves in the stonewall setup 

whenever i try this caro kann to stonewall for black i lose though can somone tell me if my theory is correct if both players play the opening correctly  im also thinking about doing this for white

can someone tell me if thats good or bad and show a way to do it or something thanks

Dutchday

It seems unlikely. 1.e4 c6 2.d4 d5 is no longer a Stonewall. White played e4, so there is no point in entering it. Possible is 1.d4 d5 2.c4 c6 and later you may enter the Stonewall via the Slav.

LavaRook

There is no way to go from a Caro Kann or even a French to a Stonewall.....

In those openings, white has played e4 and f5 is controlled. The whole idea behind the stonewall is to restrict e4. The Stonewall can only be played against d4. It is also possible to play it against Nf3 or c4 but it is considered risky due to certain dangerous tries like 1.Nf3 f5 2.d3....

Paddestoel

Just play the damn Caro-Kann.LaughingWink
Michael-G

You can't enter Stonewall from Caro Kan or French.It's not playable against 1.e4.

It's only playable against 1.d4

Dutchday

Probably the video meant you play it like 1.d4 e6 to avoid the complications of 1.d4 f5 2.e4 and such.

However if white is happy to enter the French with 1.d4 e6 2.e4 you need to know that as well.

I played the French and I don't even bother with this move order when I play the Dutch.

DRcheckmate
LavaRook wrote:

In those openings, white has played e4 and f5 is controlled. The whole idea behind the stonewall is to restrict e4. The Stonewall can only be played against d4. It is also possible to play it against Nf3 or c4 but it is considered risky due to certain dangerous tries like 1.Nf3 f5 2.d3....

hmm ok i play caro kann regularly then but if they do d4 then i'll do the stone

Dutchday

You're going to have to show how you do that, because normally, it isn't possible. That's unless you're actually playing a Slav.

Michael-G
DRcheckmate wrote:
LavaRook wrote:

hmm ok i play caro kann regularly then but if they do d4 then i'll do the stone

There is no possible transposition to Stonewall after white's 1.e4

Playing f5 at any point after that doesn't mean it's Stonewall  AND IT IS VERY BAD.

For example:

DRcheckmate

can you get stonewall as white if you cant as black if you dont try caro kann and do f4

Michael-G

Stonewall as white is possible after  1.f4 d5 or 1.d4 d5 .You can't have Stonewall if your opponent doesn't play ...d5(more accurately , you can have a a bad meaningless Stonewall if your opponent doesn't play ...d5)

TheCalculatorKid

It is sort of possible after 1. E4 if white exchanges.

1. E4 C6 2. D4 D5 3. ExD5 CxD5 4. BD3 E6 5. NF3 BD6 6. 0-0 F5

Whilst it isn't perfect and you're probably a move behind where you want to be you can set up the attack from here the same way you would from a stonewall. 

It has an added advantage that most people don't play against Caro Kann so they can end up playing into your hands because you know you're aiming to set up that stonewall type attack and they won't be expecting it.