Forums

Is a fianchettoed bishop a good move in modern times?

Sort:
AndyClifton

Pellik isn't stupid (although judging from his picture, he's probably hungry a lot).

Vanessa_Martinez
AndyClifton wrote:

Pellik isn't stupid (although judging from his picture, he's probably hungry a lot).

you want to defend someone like him? lol

AndyClifton

Yes.  As you can see from our pictures, we are distant cousins.

Vanessa_Martinez
AndyClifton wrote:

Yes.  As you can see from our pictures, we are distant cousins.

good for you but idc lol 

Ubik42

I will admit to being distant cousin of the chimpanzees and bonobos.

Also, slightly more distant cousin to the oak tree in your backyard, please don't chop it down.

nameno1had
[COMMENT DELETED]
Ubik42
nameno1had wrote:

Sometimes I wonder if some cheats have multiple personality disorder...what do you think Andy ?

I have to admit this crossed my mind too.

nameno1had
[COMMENT DELETED]
Gil-Gandel
Vanessa_Martinez wrote:
Gil-Gandel wrote:
Vanessa_Martinez wrote:
Gil-Gandel wrote:
Vanessa_Martinez wrote:
Scottrf wrote:
Vanessa_Martinez wrote:

I have always been told knights on the rim are bad.

They are, except when they're not.

No your wrong its always bad. Thats why the saying was phrased in chess lol.

No, "you're" wrong, "it's" not always bad - ... Na5 is standard for Black in some lines of the Spanish and the Two Knights, ...Nh5 is book in the King's Gambit, Schallop Defence, after 4. e5, and there may be others.

ok buddy, heres a tip. when you want to start playing knights on rims agaisnt me or anyone else go ahead and see what happens.

Unfortunately, child, I don't play blitz and apparently you don't play anything else.

how am I a kid? i'm 18. I'm an adult. and ya no duh blitz is awesome.

If you're not a kid, I'm not your buddy, and in my experience adulthood is more than a date on the calendar. As to blitz, tastes vary, but speaking for myself, my attention span is up to chess with a bit of thought in it, not frantically pushing wood and seeing who makes the first blunder. You should try it some time.

Vanessa_Martinez
Gil-Gandel wrote:
Vanessa_Martinez wrote:
Gil-Gandel wrote:
Vanessa_Martinez wrote:
Gil-Gandel wrote:
Vanessa_Martinez wrote:
Scottrf wrote:
Vanessa_Martinez wrote:

I have always been told knights on the rim are bad.

They are, except when they're not.

No your wrong its always bad. Thats why the saying was phrased in chess lol.

No, "you're" wrong, "it's" not always bad - ... Na5 is standard for Black in some lines of the Spanish and the Two Knights, ...Nh5 is book in the King's Gambit, Schallop Defence, after 4. e5, and there may be others.

ok buddy, heres a tip. when you want to start playing knights on rims agaisnt me or anyone else go ahead and see what happens.

Unfortunately, child, I don't play blitz and apparently you don't play anything else.

how am I a kid? i'm 18. I'm an adult. and ya no duh blitz is awesome.

If you're not a kid, I'm not your buddy, and in my experience adulthood is more than a date on the calendar. As to blitz, tastes vary, but speaking for myself, my attention span is up to chess with a bit of thought in it, not frantically pushing wood and seeing who makes the first blunder. You should try it some time.

Im trying it Im in a standard game, but this shyt is so boring i took a shower watched some youtube vids and am now tired and this one game is still not over...

Vanessa_Martinez

and no 18 means im an adult I can do all the things an adult can except drink but i dont do that anyways so theres no difference.

waffllemaster
pellik wrote:
Vanessa_Martinez wrote:
pellik wrote:
pipituche wrote:

Your comments make me think you use a chess engine and cheat.  How could you even ask the question you did after having gotten to a rating of 2000?

If you look you'll see that Vanessa just plays 1000-1600 rated players and cleans up against them. Beating up on people rated 1000 doesn't require anything more then basic principles and a modicum of tactical vision.

your stupid I play unrated and its only people rated there that are unrated lol and yes theres a friend of mine rated 1000 and he likes to play me, is there a problem with that? 

My mistake then. Maybe someone with paid membership could grab Vanessa's game archive and find her legitimate 2000 level games, then check them against an engine?

No, you were right, she mostly plays 1000-1600.  She only has 40 some games logged and it's new enough that you don't need a paid membership to look up the games.  I think she played one 2000 rated player (which she beat, in her best win stat thing).

Looked at a few of her games.  Doesn't seem to me that she's cheating.  I'd call her an aggressive player who spots tactical mistakes quickly.  On the surface it can almost make sense, if she's just a kid who played in school and with some talent, practice, and no books became a good aggressive tactical player without knowing what a fianchetto was.  It seems to fit her type of play... yeah it almost can make sense.

Mostly though it seems she's just trolling. Especially looking at her other topics and behavior.

owlyboly
bigpoison
Vanessa_Martinez wrote:

I just thought fianchettoing bishops was a bad move and I still think that because its easy to take apart, and from my experice its a bad set up.

http://www.chess.com/livechess/game?id=444702094

http://www.chess.com/livechess/game?id=444693316

http://www.chess.com/livechess/game?id=444663651

Whoever played these games doesn't seem to think it's such a bad idea.

Hell, I didn't even dig far.  These three were among the ten most recently completed.

nameno1had

I was thinking perhaps a game goading attempt against the likes of KID,KIA,QID,Modern Defense, Reti, etc...

Also how does one have a 2000+ rating here in blitz, be so astute at chess, not have any interest in longer time controls and ask that question here and the question of the other forum by the same OP ?

That is rather puzzling considering they are atleast NM level and probably closer to FM or maybe IM in longer time controls, then be only 18 and have no idea they are practically a child prodigy ? I am dumb founded...

Ubik42
bigpoison wrote:
Vanessa_Martinez wrote:

I just thought fianchettoing bishops was a bad move and I still think that because its easy to take apart, and from my experice its a bad set up.

http://www.chess.com/livechess/game?id=444702094

http://www.chess.com/livechess/game?id=444693316

http://www.chess.com/livechess/game?id=444663651

Whoever played these games doesn't seem to think it's such a bad idea.

Hell, I didn't even dig far.  These three were among the ten most recently completed.

I never fiancheottoed much, but after seeing those games by a good player, I am going to have to start doing it moar.