Forums

Is GM David Smerdon preparing a Scandinavian book for 2015?

Sort:
rice8080

I believe GM David Smerdon is preparing a book in the portuguese variation of the Scandinavian Defense.  i am a big fan of the Modern Scandinavian lines, especially the Portuguese and icelandic gambits.  they can be a nightmare to deal with if white mishandles the opening.  Please help with information or an update.  Thanks

notmtwain
poko6351 wrote:

I believe GM David Smerdon is preparing a book in the portuguese variation of the Scandinavian Defense.  i am a big fan of the Modern Scandinavian lines, especially the Portuguese and icelandic gambits.  they can be a nightmare to deal with if white mishandles the opening.  Please help with information or an update.  Thanks

He has his own website davidsmerdon.com and he is on Twitter.  According to his website:

David Smerdon
Apr 18, 2015 at 11:07 pm

A fair question! The book took longer to finish than I expected, largely due to some unexpected ‘busts’ that I was alerted to. I’m glad to say that the refutations of the Portuguese turned out to be just smoke (though it took me a while to get through them all), and even happier to report that the book is finished and currently undergoing editing by the publishers. Further updates to come!

http://www.davidsmerdon.com/?p=1215

I suggest you follow his website for further updates.

Also, I don't know if you have seen this:

http://www.chesspub.com/cgi-bin/chess/YaBB.pl?num=1309336196

A discussion from last fall with Smerdon stating that the book was coming out in early 2015 and explaining what lines he will and won't cover and some of the difficulties he was having with it now that he had expanded the scope.

rice8080

Yes, thanks for the help.  i'll be waiting for the book to come out.

-BEES-
David Smerdon wrote:

Having said that, I've spent a LOT of time on the analysis, as my ultimate goal is to be able to propose a repertoire in which every line for Black is at least 'playable'. This has been quite a challenge! I'm still trying to work out the best way to handle the 'Correspondence Refutation' with 4.f3 Bf5 5.g5 Bg6 6.c4 (discussed in depth in this thread). More significantly, I've had to drop the Icelandic Gambit as my main recommendation after 3.c4, although I still cover it in detail, but fortunately there are some surprising gambit lines after 3.c4 c6 4.d4 that are both sound and exciting (IMO).

I would agree with that based on anecdotal experience. I ran into a lot of theoretical trouble with the Icelandic in blitz around ~1750. Had to switch to 3...c6 but astonishingly, a high percentage of people still accept that gambit. I guess anyone that plays 3.c4 to begin with is likely not booked.

smurfo

Hi guys. I just came across this, so I thought I may as well just write back directly :) The manuscript is submitted so now it's just a matter of waiting to see what the publishers do. In the end, the book is a full repertoire. By the way, the good news is that the Icelandic gambit isn't refuted after all!

kikvors

Is the name of the publisher secret?

notmtwain
kikvors wrote:

He revealed the name of the publisher in his website posting. I guess you couldn't be bothered to read it.

kco
notmtwain wrote:
kikvors wrote:

He revealed the name of the publisher in his website posting. I guess you couldn't be bothered to read it.

just like many members of this community here.

kikvors

I did read that blog post, when it came out in 2013. Those posts were mirrored on Chessvibes back then. I did not remember that the publisher was mentioned in it, sorry about that.

I also follow Everyman's publication schedule quite closely, and this book isn't on it. And Quality Chess' blog recently mentioned they'd have some surprise publications this summer, so that got me curious.

kikvors

And today Everyman updated their publishing schedule, and the book still isn't on it :-(

rice8080

I looked up GM David Smerdon's new Modern Scandinavian book on the Everyman's Chess website.  If I am correct the book is scheduled to be released late fall of this year 2015, and it is titled Smerdon's Scandinavian.  It can not come on sale soon enough!!!   The Portuguese, and the Icelandic and some of the other lines are offbeat, often dangerous and just plain annoy many opponents.  Can not wait!!!

Blackfoxx

Does it feature 3...Qd6? That's the only Scandinavian I like

-BEES-

The Pytel variation is covered in other Scandi literature, I believe.

Blackfoxx

There is a book dedicated to Qd6 alone, from 2009, but since then quite a few new ideas have been discovered so I was hoping for a second edition/update.

kikvors

Smerdon's book is on 2...Nf6.

Blackfoxx

Fair enough. I'll keep on waiting. Right here if needed.

ThrillerFan
Blackfoxx wrote:

There is a book dedicated to Qd6 alone, from 2009, but since then quite a few new ideas have been discovered so I was hoping for a second edition/update.

There is more recent - The Scandinavian Move by Move is on 3...Qd6, published summer of 2013.

And actually, the book from 2009 IS the 2nd edition.  I still own the first edition from 2001.  Haven't gotten the second because I quit playing those lines a LONG time ago.  There are still far better answers to 1.e4 than 1...d5.

Blackfoxx

Thank you sir, I was unaware of the 2013 book. 

IronSteintz

Everyman has put a cover on his book, so it shouldn't be very much longer.

For those interested, here's a video from last year showing Smerdon lecturing on the 2...Nf6 Scandinavian.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7l5EVd3d4Wk

kikvors

It's on their publishing schedule now, for september! (in europe). Cool!