Forums

KID vs Benoni

Sort:
AVStone

Which do you play, which variations, and why?

Swindlers_List

Neither, None, Because white gets an easy advantage in the Benoni and the KID is boring.

RRM888

I play the KID but I play c5 against the Samisch, Averbakh and Four Pawns Attack variations. Both are exciting although IMO nothing beats an aggressive kingside attack in the Mar del Plata KID.

Swindlers_List
Crabiano wrote:
Ragnarokkr wrote:

Neither, None, Because white gets an easy advantage in the Benoni and the KID is boring.

Then you clearly have no idea how to play either.

1) show me how black equalises in the Benoni

2)Playing long forcing variations you memorised from a book isn't fun, and its not chess.

Swindlers_List
Swindlers_List

And that's not even whites most testing line, its just the one I know.

shepi13
Ragnarokkr wrote:
Crabiano wrote:
Ragnarokkr wrote:

Then you clearly have no idea how to play either.

1) show me how black equalises in the Benoni

2)Playing long forcing variations you memorised from a book isn't fun, and its not chess.

1) The taimanov variation (with f4 and Bb5+) practically refutes the benoni, and is the reason it isn't more common today, so yes, I can agree.

2) There is lots of play in the KID, ranging from positional to tactical and attacking (Na6 lines, Nbd7 lines, mar del plata (main line), petrosian variation (d5 and Bg5, usually won by the player who better understands the position), 4 pawns attack, saimisch, Averbakh variation (Be2 and Bg5), h3 lines, g3 lines, etc.)

I'm not sure how you can label an opening that can reach many different types of positions boring. 

Swindlers_List

I used to play mainline d4 OTB, but then I noticed all the KID players would just throw out their memorised moves without thinking, just because some book told them to.

I have no interest in playing a game of memory.

shepi13

It's not a game of memory though, what level do you play at OTB?? No 1800 USCF players have any clue how to play the KID. In the Chicago Open this is probably one of the best KID games my opponents played (I had 3).